Friday, October 11, 2019

Loving This October Friday!!

At last cool fall weather has arrived in North Texas!


A perfect morning for oatmeal, bacon and buttered toast - only we had that for lunch instead of breakfast. We lingered long over our coffee and reading this morning.
Louis Dean and I have been reading through the Old Testament and we have arrived in Nehemiah....
and are once again enjoying the history and excitement of Bible times.
Nehemiah was a fascinating man......with a heart for God. Here we are all these years later gaining wisdom, inspiration and encouragement from him.
I wonder what kind of message I am leaving behind for others that will come after me......


It was a good day to make muffins!


Banana muffins from a simple recipe I have made many times before!
I will serve these for snacks when the quads come home with us tomorrow.


Our first fireplace of the season!!
Only a fire log but it was still special.
We have a lot of wood from that old elm in the back yard - but Louis Dean will need to cut it up and I did not want to ask him to do another thing.
He's been working on hanging the rain curtains in the gazebo.
Not an easy task since he is contriving a rod system that will work.
The hard part of figuring it out is over so now we will get them up soon.
He used a double wire threaded through PVC pipes with elbows at the corners.
And he spray painted the pipes brown to match the gazebo!
He is such a clever man!


I did my part in making him a pan of corn bread using the mix from Aldi.
It is really good!!


I added some more seasonings to last night's stew and we ate in the den by the fireplace.


It is chilly tonight and I changed the sheets out to the flannel ones!
Scented with Bath and Body Works Cinnamon Pumpkin - I can't wait to slide into bed.
And since we have an early morning wake up - we are just about ready to say goodnight!

18 comments:

Bluebird49 said...

I hope you are snug right now. That fire, and the stew and cornbread -- and muffins! -- all sound and look so fallish and homey. It just sounds so nice, and the pumpkin spice scent is just the right touch for the season. Goodness, October is spiriting itself right away, isn't it?!
It is 66° in our house right now, but I don't know if we can handle flannel sheets!
We love the Old Testament along with the new, too. So good to read together.💕
Tomorrow the giggles and smiles of those precious kids will fill all the spaces in that sweet home you make for everyone. 💕I
Enjoy!!

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

Have a wonderful time tomorrow Linda.
Hugs.
Joy

Vee said...

So cozy! It might be cooler in Texas than it is in Maine. Your lunchtime breakfast sounds so delicious...well any of your meals sound wonderful and often have me wishing for something more exciting than a piece of toast. Have fun with the little bells. Can’t wait to see what Louis Dean has been up to.

Stacy said...

The fire looks so pretty and inviting. No wonder you ate dinner in front of it! I miss having a fireplace.

Susie said...

Linda, Seeing the cornbread in the cast iron skillet sure makes me think of my mom. That's how she made hers. Sounds so cozy eating by the fire. Yes, you got yourself a working man when you married LD. He makes me smile when I read about his ideas. Glad you had a good day my friend. Blessings to you and yours, love you guys, xoxo, Susie

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

It's wonderful to have the cooler temps and enjoy Fall baking! Nice to change things around some too. Have a fabulous weekend...I know you will!

MimiG said...

Nehemiah - I had an uncle, actually my favorite uncle on my mother's side, named Jackson Nehemiah. He was a wonderful, giving and trusting man, such a GOOD uncle. Had 3 beautiful daughters that I love dearly. No fire here, but it is supposed to only go to 70 today. Woo Hoo! Have a soccer game in about 1 1/2 hours, then a tailgate party for Alabama's football game as they play in your state today). Delicious looking food. Have a blessed, fun, loving day with your grands. I hope to also!
How is Summer?

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

So glad you finally got some relief from the heat. It's much the same here...chilly. I have plans to put the flannel sheets on the bed today. I love them ! And I love all the things to cook when the weather changes too. It's time for a change and move from salads to soups and stews. We get to enjoy all our favorites once more. I too love that pumpkin spice sent and have some on hand to use. Hope all goes well with the rain curtains, you'll need extra coverage for the cooler weather. Enjoy your Saturday!

MadSnapper said...

I am having a sneezing fit just reading about spraying that spray on the sheets. ahhhchoooo…. that cornbread has me drooling. I can make a meal of cornbread and butter. yum.... wish we had some cool air. no relief in sight for us yet... the fire place is so pretty and I really love the candle in the glass jar on the left...the one with rocks in the bottom.

Changes in the wind said...

Everything looks so cozy! and love the fireplace.

photowannabe said...

Even on your most lazy type days you are far busier than I. Oh that fire and meal look so cozy.
We are still in the high 70's low 80's durning the day but our nights are getting cooler. It feels good to crawl under blankets and go to sleep.
I don't think my "breather" could handle the fragrance on the sheets...but I do adore that smell from fresh baked pumpkin bread...okay, now I am hungry for thatflavor.
Lucky Quads getting those muffins for snacks too.

photowannabe said...

Oops I forgot to say how much I love Nehemiah and delving into all the "meat" that's there.
I think it's time for me to read it again...thanks for the push in that direction.
Sue

Ginny Hartzler said...

You wonder what kind of message you are leaving, so I will tell you. One of joy, of helping others and always being kind. Of appreciating any and everything and always staying positive. I want cornbread now!! A trip to Aldis is in order.

Latane Barton said...

Linda, you just beat all.... a fire, flannel sheets, good warm stew. I adore the picture in my head. I did put my jammies on to what Alabama/Texas A&M game. I mean, it's just me here. So, who cares what I have on and the jammies are so comfy. But, alas no fire.. they don't allow open fire in these apartments. I hope you have a fab rest of the weekend. Rest easy, dear friend.

Deanna Rabe said...

Wonderful day! Enjoy the quads!

BeachGypsy said...

oh my goodness Linda what a GORGEOUS fireplace.......love it!! So cozy and warm. The muffins look great and I hope y'all are having a nice weekend. It's hot here still, up in the 80s today, yuck. I love to make stew too, when it cools down that is! LOL. Yours looks yummy

Nancy Chan said...

I like the fireplace. The muffins and corn bread look great! Happy new week ahead!

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

Homespun Goodness! ♥