Monday, September 9, 2019

We are Home Again.....



Sunday I didn't get out of the girl bunk until nearly noon!
For some reason I simply did not want to get up - so I didn't.
Louis Dean brought my coffee in to me and I stayed in bed reading.
These super hot days of 100+ temps have been hard to handle.
I could get up early and enjoy the cooler part of the day - but we all know I'm not going to do that.
Still, I was able to paint for several hours out in the front room - with the windows open and a fan pointed at me - taking a nap during the hottest time of the day.
The only project I worked on was the Santa and Horse.


I'm happy with the horse and will let Santa dry and work on him some more.
I can tell better what I need to do by looking at a photo of it.
Santa's hand, face and the greenery are all still 'under construction.'

Last night Dean and Sherry drove up on their four wheeler and we did what Louis Dean loves to do more than just about anything. We sat on the porch and visited.
He often tells me of the wonderful times he and Ellen would visit Ruby Nell and Jerel (Ellen's parents) in Comanche, Texas. Louis Dean and Ellen were both school teachers and they would drive in from wherever they were teaching and sit around drinking coffee and talking.
So this was a perfect ending to our country visit last night.

We didn't need to hurry to leave the ranch this morning and it was already too hot to work fast.
We loaded the truck and then both of us took a little nap before we actually closed up the camper and left.


It's a lot more fun arriving than it is leaving.


Louis Dean swings the gate OUT as we leave.....


I personally prefer to see the gate swing IN as we arrive!


I used to open the lock and gate but my fingers are too knobby to do that anymore.


He's so cute!

On our way out from the country roads to the paved one - we saw THREE vehicles!
A regular traffic jam!


We had lunch at Luby's and Louis Dean really loaded his tray up with food!
Seeing this pic reminds me he bought TWO desserts!
That's pecan pie in the lower left hand corner.
He didn't eat it at lunch but I need to see if I can find where he put it.
Not that I would eat it myself but he certainly doesn't need pie!


He made short work of that huge meal!!
And he didn't have chicken fried steak this time! A hamburger steak instead.

We made good time getting home and did not even stop once since leaving Luby's in Waco.


Look what I found when I got home!!
My friend, Sharon, in Florida makes the most beautiful cards!!
She sent a birthday card to me - my very first and my birthday is not until the 24th!
Plus a box chock full of the prettiest Christmas cards I have ever seen.
I will take pictures tomorrow of them to 'show and tell.'
Remember Show and Tell from school?
I haven't thought about that in ages.
While I seldom had anything interesting to show and tell back then - I sure do now!

Louis Dean and I have a system.
He brings everything in and I put it all up.
He gets the ice out of the trays and bags it up while I make tea.
He goes through the mail while I start the laundry and turn the dishwasher on.
I always run the dishwasher before we leave since it has our coffee things and such in it and I don't think it's a good idea to leave dirty dishes. But then I run it again when we get home.

He took a hot soaking bath and I took a nice long shower and then we BOTH went to bed.
It was only 5:00!


I lingered longer than he did so I read in bed while he went out to the den to watch an old Audie Murphy movie.


This was such a good book.
Now I am going to close tonight's journal entry and take a new book to bed to start reading.



PS.....I found the pie in his music room! He had put it on his desk and set a clipboard on top of it.
I, in turn, hid it in the fridge! At the back of the vegetable drawer with a bag of cilantro in front of it.
Bet he'll never find it there!!

20 comments:

Bluebird49 said...

Glad you got back safely! It will be cooler in town -- at least inside, I hope!

Arlene G said...

Now Linda, dont hide Louis Dean's pie.lol You two are so funny. I am like you....it is more fun arriving than leaving for sure.

Ginny Hartzler said...

Busted, you found the pie! I think the only way you will keep him from finding it is to eat it yourself! Your card is gorgeous!

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

bet LD finds the pie - though you really found a GREAT hiding place. If he reads your post ....
Thank you Linda for sharing and bringing smiles to our faces.
Hugs.
Joy

Vee said...

Share the pie! That’s the best way. 🙂 Besides, doesn’t Louis Dean read your blog?

You know, I understand that you both love the ranch, but for some reason, I love it best when you are home. Scooting now before I get a piece of gooey pecan pie up side the head.

Carol said...

That is one of the most precious Santa paintings yet. I would love to purchase one from you for my precious grand doll if at all possible. How she and I love horses! I can't wait to share the picture I took of her yesterday with you.
I am thankful you made it home safely, but I know how you love your time at the ranch.

Susie said...

Linda, I love reading your posts. It's like a letter from home. You catch us up on what all has happened. The visiting on the last evening with the kids. The fun time on the road coming home. I think Vee's idea about the pie is a good one. :) Blessings, Love you guys, xoxo, Susie

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It is so nice you can take your time and not have to hurry Especially in that heat. I don't think I could do anything at all in that kind of heat. No wonderful you wanted to stay in bed. We're in the upper 80's here today and I'm sure the air conditioning will be on before the day is over. I cannot take the heat. You do do work good together. Nice you have the help. Believe me it's not good when everything you do is on your own. No wonder it takes me longer to do everything, when I'm the only one doing it. Hope you enjoy your day and take it easy.

Estelle's said...

You are too funny....hiding the pie...genius!!! Sounds like you enjoyed your short visit to the ranch...too hot...just too hot for much of anything!

Shirley said...

Heat would make me want to stay in air-conditioning. I always enjoy your pictures and watching your painting come alive. The horse in your picture reminds me of my grandson's horse. You always enjoy your time in the country. I would love to live back there, but my family says no to that at my age. My apartment is feeling more and more like home. Take care my friend.

Changes in the wind said...

I always find it interesting your variety of times of getting up and going to bed. Hubby and I have a routine and we don't deviate from it hardly at all where you can up and go to be at 5:00 or sleep till noon. Would totally throw my day into chaos. Love the Santa picture.

Deanna Rabe said...

I'm happy you're free to sleep in, or go to bed in the middle of the day, whatever you need!

You two are a great team!

Stay cool, please, and hopefully that HOT weather will be over soon!

Chatty Crone said...

Love your Santa and horse - you are quite talented. Two desserts! Hey I love pecan pie - you can always send it here. You guys are cute. sandie

Mrs.T said...

Yes, indeed (echoing Vee above) -- share that pie! Glad you are safely back.

MadSnapper said...

freeze the pie for a later date?? I just borrowed Wish You Well from the library, stopped to see if they had it and they did. I thought it was a new one but it is an old one. glad you made it safe home and did not take any roads you might have missed. ha ha

photowannabe said...

Your ending statement made me laugh right out loud!!
I love where you hid the pie...I wonder if he will even miss it.
Story to be continued???
That was a mighty big meal LD had..no wonder a nap was in order when you got home.
P.S. I do love your Santa and horse painting. The look in the horses eyes shows so much love.
Enjoy your time at home and don't get too hot.
Fall is coming hopefully soon...

Rain said...

LOL did he find it? I would have searched high and low! :) Your painting is gorgeous Linda, such talent! Sad to leave the ranch though!

jujupage1 said...

Loving all the food!😂 I eat like a horse too sometimes.

BeachGypsy said...

Oh look at those bright beautiful BLUE SKIES there, and the big fluffy cotton clouds!---so so so pretty! Love seeing his food tray.....lots of GOODIES there, I spy corn, old fashioned good looking green BEANS, the pie, and alot of whipped cream on something, LOL! Glad y'all are home safely, I'm trying to catch up on your posts since we're now home from evacuating. Trying to get around and see what everyone's been up to. Your September finally arrived.....happy for you!

BeachGypsy said...

PSSSSSS--just read the comment you left me....thanks so much for the compliments on my pocktebook and hat!! Your're so sweet. I got the top at Walmart and the hat and pocketbook at thrift stores, yippeeeee for thrift stores, love them!! (you and me BOTH, lol)