Tuesday, August 6, 2019

A Quiet Tuesday on the Ranch......

Today has been calm and quiet - and HOT!


We went out to check the garden late this morning before it heated up too much to get out in the sun.
The zinnias are the only flowers blooming......most all the wildflowers are gone now.


The okra blooms count as flowers, though.


Louis Dean and I researched online how to tell if our watermelons are ripe.
This one has been misshapened from the beginning.
I read that is caused by not being properly pollinated so I tossed it over the fence.
I didn't know it would burst open!
When I saw red meat, I ran outside the fence and checked it out. 
It tastes like watermelon but was on the over ripe side.
The critters came up and ate every morsel of it because when we went out to water tonight you couldn't see a seed left!


You couldn't go in the sun without a hat and glasses today.

I was worn out just from checking the garden! 
We cleaned out the fridge for our lunch and then took good long naps.

Louis Dean has been working on the sink in the bathroom.
It's a laundry sink and just having water handy and close to the front room where I cook will be so convenient. Dean has talked to the power company down here and they will come out and shut off the power to the meter and then come back and turn it on after they get the 220 wired up.
Until then, we have hot water in the camper but only cold water in the big bathroom.
Only it's not really cold!
It's August in Texas!


I worked on a Santa this evening.
I like my Santas old so I'm trying to age him up a bit.
Art will stay out until Friday and I will pack it away until we come back towards the end of the month. I'm excited that I'll get two painting sessions on all the new projects I started.

I am going to take my books and go to bed soon.


I already took my 'cold' shower and it was as warm as it could be!!


19 comments:

Bluebird49 said...

That pretty butterfly on the zinnia! You did post early tonight, and I was happy to read you got some rest!
It's so nice you'll have hot water in the shower (hopefully) before the year is out! Can't imagine cooking without water handy.
I've no idea about how to choose watermelons, but I don't like them overripe either!
You surely cannot say this visit to the ranch has been uneventful. You'll have to get R&R when you get back home. :)

Art and Sand said...

I love the butterfly pic.

I didn't work in the garden today and I really needed to!

Vee said...

Yay for zinnias giving lots of color and cheer. The okra blossoms are pretty, too. I can not imagine turning on the cold water and having it be as warm as toast. Saves on the electric bill, I imagine. You have accomplished so much on this trip with more to come. Hope that Sherry is completely recovered from those nasty stings.

Well I’m up early sitting here reading blogs and sipping on iced coffee and peanut butter crackers. Makes for a nice breakfast. 😏

A happy day to you and Louis Dean. Hope that it is a cooler one for you.

Vee said...

I am not sipping on peanut butter crackers...oh for clarity in writing!

Aloha Acres said...

I know this is not Texas, but it's taking me a while to adjust to Virginia summers. It's hot! Not complaining though. I'd still prefer summer over winter.

Deanna Rabe said...

Nice to have relaxing days down on the ranch!

Zinnias are wonderful flowers!

MadSnapper said...

I am smiling because we are not able to take a cold shower either, we have been in the 90s since the first of April and no end in sight. you did the right thing to go out early and not stay long in that heat... yay for almost a bathroom and the coming 220 power lines, your country home has come a long way baby..... love the vintage Santa you are working on. I love vintage Santas best to

Arlene G said...

Glad y'all are having a calm day after the excitement of the weekend, Linda. I was telling Marvin about it and he said that if many bees stung him, he would have to go to the ER as well. Our Bee Store told us that most bees in America are of Russian or Italian descent. Apparently the Russian bees are meaner. I had never heard that before. We think we must have Italian bees because they are pretty docile for the most part.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I think it's time you had a quiet day. Especially with the heat. I don't take as hot of showers that I do in the winter, but it's not been hot enough for me ever to take a cold shower. Hope you soon have a working hot water heater. You'll soon have all the conveniences of home there.

Judy said...

I'm sure the 'cool' shower is quite welcome in that heat! It is hot here now too, but the nights cool off nicely. Nice pic of the butterfly on the zinnia. Good job on the Santa you are working on!

photowannabe said...

Truly love your aged Santa...I think that's the way he should be.
Gonna be another hot one here today...wish it was a bit cooler so we could just get by with our ceiling fans and not the AC.
Your bathroom will be so wonderful once you get the sink in and the 220 connected.
Your Ranch is certainly coming along.
I love the photo of you and LD together...that's a real Keeper.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

We feel like August here in Florida too...hot and humid! Love your Santa! Enjoy your day!

Carole said...

Sending you some of our cool air - can you feel it? Cheers

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

I know it's HOT in Texas, Linda, as I hear that from another friend who lives there too near Lubbock. Maybe cold showers are not such a bad thing with the heat. And yes I also prefer older Santas.

Ginny Hartzler said...

Exciting news about the sink coming along! Gosh, this okra bloom is gorgeous! This butterfly is so beautiful.

Wild Oak Designs said...

Being without hot water is awful....hope it gets fixed soon...
the garden sounds lovely....even if it is hot!
Nancy
wildoakdesigns.blogspot.com

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Lovely pictures, and your watermelon story made me smile. Glad the critters enjoyed it.

Sue said...

I think okra blossoms are so pretty, and i love what they give me to eat. ~wink~ seeing the busted watermelon reminded me of the times we would go to our watermelon fields, bust one and eat the heart of them. soo delicious. Good luck with getting the water fixed. That is one lovely Santa.
Have a great day.
Sue

Rain said...

Oh Linda I LOVE your Santa!!! Just beautiful!! I can imagine how hot it must be for you, that's funny about the "cold" shower! That's a really sweet photo of you and your man! :) xx