Sunday, November 7, 2021

Our First November Weekend......

 Summer and I woke up on Friday morning to the smell of coffee floating in the air and into the two guest rooms at Nita and Mike's house. Mike had already left for work (Nita is off on Fridays) and we roused ourselves up to sit at the kitchen table for cups of coffee and cheese toast. Summer said the toast reminded her of Granny. We sipped and woke up and dressed and were out the door by 9:30 to pick up Deanie. Alas, I had forgot to get Nita's birthday carrot cake I had ordered from Central Market out of Summer's van, so we had to circle back for that and then we were off to Mineral Wells to see our cousin, Pam.  I get confused about first, second and third cousins so I just call them all 'cousin!'


Here is Summer, Deanie, 'Cousin Pam', me and the birthday girl, Nita!
Pam is the daughter of our oldest living relative, Joyce. Joyce is the daughter of our Uncle Truman - Mother's one and only brother and she and Aunt Irene always called him that - Brother.
Pam is such a bright spot in our family. She is gifted and beautiful and sweet and she dearly loves all things 'family.'


She is also a good cook!
This is the Chicken and Wild Rice Soup she served for lunch that day.


Chock full of all things good!


And, along with that, is the Cobb Salad.....
I had to look up why it's called that....from the chef who first made it.


Then here's the special dressing Pam made from scratch!
Seriously - so good!

All of us love Pam's home!
She lives in the country and has a beautiful one of a kind home.


Pam painted this and I absolutley LOVE it!!!!
It's painted on a framed screen. As in window screen. Who would have ever thought of that??
Pam said it was a 'Painting With a Twist' and I really and truly love the 'twist!'
I want to do one of these!


I love how she decorates.......burlap curtains! YES!!
Now I want some and I need some in Louis Dean's bathroom.
Thank you, Pam, for the inspiration! I am going to copy cat your idea.


This is Ricky's room.......Pam is raising her grandson after losing her only child, Danna, to cancer a few years ago and, along with her husband, Nick, are making a beautiful life for Ricky just as Ricky is greatly enriching their lives. God is all about the Win! WIN!!


One of Pam's guest rooms.


She is a crazy with talent quilter! As in AMAZING!
Love the shelves where she displays her quilts and collections!


When I say Pam is a gifted and talented quilter, I'm not kidding!
She has her own quilt shop and does exquistite work that boggles my mind!


I am in awe of her gifts and abilities and the creative mind she has!


She is absolutely amazing!


I cannot even wrap my mind around how she does what she does.


Pam and Nick went on vacation to Arizona and she made this from a photo she took on that trip. It is all made of fabric and quilted to give it dimension and texture.
Wow!!

We had the nicest visit and lunch.
During this time, Louis Dean had an appointment with an eye doctor he'd been referred to by his primary care physician. I had taken him on a trial drive Thursday morning.....before his dental appointment and before Summer and I were leaving for Fort Worth.
Well, once again, he got lost and this time Summer was with me so there was no one to find and rescue him. Thankfully, I knew the route he should have taken and was able to direct him there -albeit a little late for the appointment. I called them to let them know he WAS on his way and it all worked out pretty well. I will be making some adjustments in the future regarding him getting to his doctor appointments....starting with this Tuesday when he has to go back to the dentist since he arrived too late for the cleaning portion of his visit! He had not been to the dentist since 2017 and NO cavities!!
He's a card carrying Cherokee Indian and has good bones and teeth!

We left Pam's around 3:00 Friday afternoon with firm plans for our next cousin gathering at my house on Decemebr 10th. If we don't PLAN it we will never DO it!


We dropped Deanie off at her house in Benbrook and went in to see what she's been doing.
I just LOVE the way she decorates!!!


This is the farm animal wall in her kitchen.
She is a Goodwill Master and finds the best buys EVER!!!


Crosses cover a long wall to the bedroom wing.
She and Charlie have a knack for finding Goodwill, garage sale and 'found at the curb' treasures!

By now Summer and I were tired but we still had more to do before we could go home.
We shopped Aldi and Walmart for some things for Lillian......


and then went back to her place for one last visit.
Summer is showing her the pictures from our day. Lillian loved seeing what all we did and she recognized Deanie and Nita.


Lillian saw us off with a smile and we promised to come back next month and see that she gets a hair cut - one way or another! There is no longer a beautician at the nursing home so we will need to find one that will come in and do a hair cut - or take her out to a shop and get one.

You know, good times can wear you out every bit as much as stressful days.
Summer and I both came home totally exhausted and went straight to bed!

Saturday Louis Dean addressed the trouble we have with the big white truck - that has 200,000 miles on it. We had a bit of a problem at the ranch and then it drove home just fine. But it makes a terrible sound and Louis Dean said it would be best not to drive it until we know what's going on.
God is so good to us.
The power steering is out and that was what was making all the racket.
We are so grateful it did not go out while we were in Arkansas or even in the country and certainly not on the Interstate coming home.
Guess who lives across the street from us?
Mechanics!
I have taken them muffins and cookies over the last couple of years and Rayne plays with the grandchildren who visit there when she's here. So we have a neighbor relationship.
I prayed about what to do and where to go for repairs.
The Dodge house took great advantage of Louis Dean back in 2009 and we were NOT going to take the truck there! I told him he should check with the neighbors because God may have already answered our prayers and they are just across the street.
And just like that, it was checked out, parts ordered and repairs have begun.
God always provides a way......


We sat outside under the umbrella Nita's sweet neighbor, Sheryl, gave us and cracked pecans from our tree....
at the table our friends, Lynn and Dean, gave us when they moved to Florida,
God blesses us with such kindnesses from our friends.
Alas, the pecans are no good this year. The produced and formed and dropped all according to schdule.......but only one good meated pecan to 24 bad ones. And even the 'good' ones weren't entirely good but a bit discolored. So not ONE truly good pecan in this year's harvest!
We had a small basket of last year's nuts left over so Louis Dean pulled that out and 'peeled' them as he calls it.


Our meals this weekend have been easy peasy.
Dagwood sandwiches and banana peppers from my herb garden.....


and sour cream and onion potato chips!!

Our house is in transition......taking fall down and preparing for Christmas.


I was changing sheets on our bed anyway on Saturday......
so I used the red and white reindeer flannel ones.
Then when I took some tubs of fall debris out to the storage building. I spied the red and white Christmas comforter I bought in the after Christmas sales last year.
So I added the reindeer pillows along with the plaid ones and I have found a theme for our bedroom.


Summer always gifts me a Christmas ornament early on in the season.
I have an entire collection of beautiful cardinals from her.
This year I am going to put the cardinal Christmas tree in our bedroom!
It normally goes in the dining room.
I'll be using a taller thinner tree for in there and am swimming in new ideas for decorating this year.
Making adjustments and changes that will work better for me as I am ageing. I never think that word looks right when I use it.

I was looking forward to going to bed Saturday night and snuggling under those comfy sheets.
It was as wonderful as I thought it would be and we both slept like babies!

We didn't change our clocks back until this morning and then we enjoyed an extra cup of coffee before going to church. Amber and Mike had saved seats for us at Fellowship in Grapevine.

After church, we came home and ate a quick lunch and then went to Farmer's Branch to watch the kids play hockey! It was as good as a tight football game and, while they lost in the end, it was a great game until the very last play!


These nine-year-olds are nearly as talla s I am!
Only Trystan is making me feel a little bit taller - but I'm certain that won't last much longer!

We came home to watch football.....we had recorded the Dallas Cowboys vs Bronos game.



I checked the score and decided to watch the Kansas City Chiefs play instead. 
This is my super cool and handsome brother, Buster!
If the Cowboys didn't win - at least the Chiefs DID!!
And I am so happy for my brother. The newness of having found my new siblings, Buster, Rita and Lori is still shining in my heart.


Wishing you all a happy and blessed week!










15 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

You have been so busy. Pam's home is awesome! And her quilts are way beyond quilts! They are truly quilt art. I am wondering if Louis Dean would use a GPS? I can't wait to see your tree!

Bluebird49 said...

Love all this post, as always, and the photos I'm so glad you took and shared. They add so much, and wow! You have really been busy!
Sorry to hear about the pecans, and glad the white truck is gonna be fixed and you won't be taken to the cleaners this time.
Lillian looked so very cute, and so does Summer.
I love the red and white in your bedroom. So appropriate for this time of year.
November is gonna be over so soon, too. My goodness!
Have a beautiful week, y'all!

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hello Linda. What a wonderful weekend you had. I always love seeing what is going on with you. You and Louis Dean are just busy all the time, and always smiling and having a lovely time with friends and family. I hope the week ahead is a good one for you. :-)

Hootin Anni said...

Sorry to say...I watched the Broncos/Cowboys game. My "home" team for decades. I was pleased, but actually thought of you.
I always enjoy coming here to read what your week has been like and how you record it all in Linda's Journal!!

JBen said...

Wow! I don't know how you do all you do! I am exhausted just reading about it all, lol. Seriously, it sounds wonderful and fun and I am glad that you had great time! Your bedroom looks so cozy nd warm, I love it!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I thought it was time to sit down with a cup of coffee and catch up with your news. You do so much more than all the rest of us put together! Love the pretty touches on your bed! I would love to do that this year too. Enjoy your week...try to take it easy!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I love flannel sheets and have them on my bed too. And I switched out the comforter for a winter one. I washed and put away the summer one. Sad to see it go, but it was time. Glad you've had so many great days there the beginning of November! It's a wonderful month for family and friends and togetherness.

Deanna Rabe said...

Pam is so gifted! Amazing!

I love that you get together as cousins. I didn't grow up with any of my cousins.

I love seeing those photos of Lillian. She looks so happy!

I love how cozy your bed looks! Having your Cardinal tree in there this year will be so special!

Vee said...

What a nice long post filled with fun and good things. Even the mishaps turn out just right. God is good. A blessed week to you as well.

MadSnapper said...

love that pig quilt and pam is a very gifted and talented artist in all the different mediums. i would never think of painting on a screen and if i did could not. can't wait to see what you do... you all look so happy, and i do love her home . glad you could save LD's bacon on the address snaffu

photowannabe said...

Wow Linda...what a weekend. You have such wonderful family and it's great that you can get together and keep the memories alive.
Oh my those quilts are really masterpieces.
The painting on the screen is stunning. I would buy that in a heartbeat.
I can't wait to see you do something like that too. Your scenery at the ranch just begs to be done in that medium.
Blessings on your week.
I love coming here and "reading" your journal.
Sue of photowannabe
https://allredmop.blogspot.com

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

Hi Linda - such a wonderful family time you shared. Love seeing everyone together. Always heart lifting.
Hugs.
Joy

Jan said...

Pam is one talented lady. Linda, you have a busy life and that is great.

Carole said...

Talk about busy! Had to check out what burlap was! And the quilts! Just wow! Good luck with LD's next appointment. Cheers

Carole said...

We call burlap - hessian! XX