Monday, April 27, 2015

Playing House!

Playing house was my favorite thing to do when I was a little girl. I guess I was born with a love for homemaking and care taking. Mondays are the one day a week I try to make a 'stay at home cleaning house day.' I work in an orderly fashion - cleaning room to room, top to bottom and side to side. Today I started in the back of the house with our bedroom.


After each room was clean, I lit a candle and added a bouquet of fresh cut flowers from the garden.
EVERYTHING is blooming profusely! Soon I hope to get some other plantings in and established before the summer heat hits!


Louis Dean was working all afternoon on the camper.
The inside has been repaired so he moved to the outside.
The roofing - or whatever it's called - is good for only about 10 years and the camper is 15 years old.
He mopped it with some kind of silver looking goop that will prevent the rain from getting in and causing damage in the future. He said the kitchen was 'fixin' to have a BIG problem!

I would come out and hold the ladder for him as he climbed up and down and then go back to cleaning as he 'mopped' the roof. Last night I noticed that Lucy had tracked in what I thought was mud down the hall and across the dining room. I spent over an hour on my hands and knees cleaning up what turned out to be that very same GOOP Louis Dean was using. He mixed it all up yesterday and apparently HE was the culprit who tracked it in on his shoes! If I had known it wasn't mud, I would have cleaned it up last night instead of letting it dry! Fortunately, MOST of it came up. A couple of places wouldn't budge even with a good scrubbing of 'Goo Goon.' That GOOP stayed!!


It's a good thing I am a good housekeeper! After Louis Dean finished the job, he went AROUND the house instead of THROUGH it to the gazebo where he stripped off all those goop covered clothes AND shoes and dropped them in a black garbage bag! He came in and soaked his tired self in a hot tub for a LONG time!!!


I kept cleaning and made it through the entire house with the exception of the den.
Instead of roses and honeysuckle for the kitchen bouquets, I used mint and rosemary in a tiny creamer and cobalt blue glass vase.

We had quite a storm last night with high winds and lightning - but very little rain.
This evening that arrived!


Louis Dean called me out to the front porch to show me the awesome rainbow!
I always remember the order of colors in the rainbow from my homeschooling days.
Rainbows Over You
God's Blessed Vow
Red/Orange/Yellow/Green/Blue/Violet

As I walked back in the house I noticed FRESH tracks of GOOP in the very places I had already cleaned!!! I followed them right in to Louis Dean's music room!! I may have been a bit testy when I requested he LOOK at the bottom of his shoes! YUP! As he was walking around on the driveway he stepped in some of the GOOP he had spilled and then tracked it right in with him.
I must admit to having a lump in my throat and tears in my eyes as I hauled out the bucket and cleaners for another round!

He and I have made a new pact. NO shoes are to be worn into the house!
It's just not safe!


While he was up on the camper roof this afternoon, I sat on the driveway just in case he needed me to hand him something. I used this time to do some writing the old fashioned way - with pen and paper!
I am embarking on a new adventure. I am writing a book.


"Everyone has a book inside of them - but it doesn't do any good until you pry it out."

“Everybody does have a book in them, but in most cases that's where it should stay.”


We shall see which of these quotes will prove true for me.

19 comments:

Wanda said...

I followed you in and out as you cleaned and cleaned up...HaHa. The flowers and candles are a lovely touch. I clean very much like you, but Saturday morning was different. My dearest did all the vacuuming, while I did the bathroom and kitchen. Our place is small and in a couple hours we had cleaned from top to bottom and side to side. Sorry to say I need to go candle shopping, as I blew out the last of my nice ones yesterday. Kirkland Home has some lovely ones (big) for $7.99 I need to get a few.

I know you have a book in you...as your blog is a book and I love it.

Wanda said...

PS My favorite thing growing up was playing house. I still do.

Vee said...

If anyone has a book in her, you do!

It does get discouraging to clean up after a working man. Yours is working so hard! I have made a few comments about mine, too, believe you me. If he decides to weld one more thing together in my living room, I'm going to blow a gasket. LOL.

Your bouquets of mint for the kitchen are wonderful. I really don't know how you do it working all day long. I must take a couple of hours a day as I can not do those all day cleaning marathons anymore. You're the Energizer Bunny!

Novabella said...

I love both of those quotes. I think that writing a book is a very good idea. You have a lot of life experience and a lot to contribute to the world.

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

You both are so inspiring Linda! Your book will be so interesting!

Deanna

MadSnapper said...

the second quote fits me perfectly... maybe i need a ghost writer. after we see your book maybe i can get you to be my ghost writer. a TAD TESTY had me ROFL.....

Arlene G said...

I admire anyone who can clean their whole house in one day. IT takes me two or three!!Hope yall are rested today!!

LV said...

You sound like one of my sisters. There is three of us and we are each different. One is a cleaner, never any dirt in her house, one is a hoarder and I am in between. In fact. the one that is the cleaner, when they sold their house last year, the inspector told the buyer he had never seen any house that clean. It was a big house too. My house will never be
cluttered, but may need dusting.

Ginny Hartzler said...

What kind of book are you writing? A biography? It is scary to see L.D. up on that roof! He is a hard worker, despite the house gooping! Your rainbow is beautiful!

Kathy said...

You are a wonder to clean the house in one day. It will take six months for mine.

What kind of book are you writing? A memoir? Fiction? Mystery? Whatever it is, you know all your friends will be buying it.

Kathy said...

P.S. I'm an editor if you need one.

Robin@DecoratingTennisGirl said...

Oooooh, a book! You go girl! Have I ever mentioned I WANT to be your neighbor!!! Waaaaah!!!

NanaDiana said...

Good luck on your book, Linda. I hope it goes well for you. That camper is going to be SOOO much fun! xo Diana

Debbie said...

I think I could have cried right along with you having to scrub that floor AGAIN. Poor Louis Dean I bet he felt soo bad, lol. Such hard workers both of you! Oh and how exciting on writing a book! I have wanted to do that just forever as well. But I am pretty sure the second quote would apply to me, lol. Enjoy the rest of your week now!

Susie said...

Here, I am tearing out some of my hair for you. LOLO. Love those fellows, but dang if we don't have to watch them at times. Ted's good about bring in saw dust and grass clippings...GRRR... No shoes in the house is a great idea. I keep a yard pair by the door..I am always slipping in and out of my shoes. I would read your book, and a couple other blog that I follow. Now LD needs rubber boot contraptions that go on the feet of the ladder, plus a bungee cord to anchor it in place. It is good you watch him and hold the ladder....I do the same thing for Ted. Blessings, xoxo,Susie

Beth said...

Hi Linda, Is your book your life story? Or perhaps a novel? You are a good writer and so is your daughter Amber. The journaling and writing genes were passed down from you to your daughter! Your roses and honeysuckle are lovely. Hope your week is going well!

Penny said...

Congratulations on starting your book Linda, how wonderful. X

Carole said...

Fantastic about the book! Good luck. Cheers from carole's Chatter

Carla said...

Writing a book?! How exciting. You're a great writing. I played school growing up never house. Maybe that's why I'm not a good housekeeper. That and not being home much. Love the rainbow picture.
I could just see the steam blowing when new tracks were found. I saved your quotes for later use. Hugs