Thursday, May 7, 2020

Hobby Lobby, A Hike and a Rescue - Our Monday and Tuesday

Texas is beginning to open up a little and I was more than ready to make a run into Hobby Lobby!
I have broken so many needles on the pony tail bands I use to make masks! Plus I was out of white, black and blue thread! While I  was there I bought a few art supplies and picked up a few Easter things at 80% off!

However, before I hit up Hobby Lobby, I was going to make a porch pickup of some denim a friend had been saving for me. So I turned Waze on and was surprised when she navigated me NOT on the county line road but go past it and on one narrow gravel road after another. I was thinking, perhaps the address where I am going is on a different side of Waco so maybe I'm going in a back way.
But no! I finally come out at Hwy 164 which leads me directly into Mart.....where I could have been a half hour earlier! On the bright side - I did see a really cute scare crow in a garden I passed!
I'm going to be making a couple for ours pretty soon.

As I came into Bellmead I saw I was really close to Home Depot and Louis Dean asked me to get some fence supplies. Husbands should not send their wives for things like this.
I couldn't find what he wanted even though I looked through the entire store and asked three different employees for help with each one sending me somewhere else.

Two frazzles in a row.
Going to town was not nearly as much fun as I had hoped it would be!

Thankfully, the directions to my friend's house were spot on and I loaded up with bags of denim jean and overalls!

Hobby Lobby was my last stop and I was back home in time to suit up and Sherry and I went to the bee hives to put a couple of frames in each of the new ones.

Now that the sandy loam soil has been delivered, Louis Dean has been working on his fence.


I love this picture of him showing off the clever way he engineered a contraption to hold his roll of barbed wire as he pulled it out.
He put a row of wire along the bottom of the fence and along the top.
Next he's going to be ready to put up the actual fencing.


While we worked, I whacked up denim!


The weather was much cooler today than the day before and it was perfect for setting up my cutting station on the picnic table. Right before we went to do the bees, a weird storm blew in and it rained and hailed for about 15 minutes and then disappeared!


Along with the denim was a whole bunch of critter shapes already cut out!
These will be great to embellish baby quilts with!


This is my mask collection of fabrics.


And this is my oldest son, Jesse, showing me he received the Dallas Cowboys one I made for him.


Blue has been coming up every day for a special treat!
Still haven't seen Rufus!

The four of us - Dean and Sherry and Louis Dean and myself - sat out and visited awhile.
That's something we really love about being down here - getting to hang out together.


This morning Louis Dean was back to work!


He was trimming up these trees.
It's good that he's been pacing himself and resting when he needs to.
He does love a project!


I took turns doing things in the camper - as in paying bills and ordering the third Blog Book from 2011. I had too many pages for just one book so I had to do it in quarters.
Then I would go out on the deck and cut up more denim and watch Louis Dean work.


Sherry had left her creamed potatoes here on Saturday so today I made potato soup - again.
I added cooked carrots and a can of peas - plus some rosemary and sharp grated cheese.
It was really good!

My art projects today......


A sweet friend gave me this camper flag and I have kept it on the front of the big refrigerator in the front room. I love this flag and the lady who gave it to me so today I freshed it up with a new paint!
It had faded a little and I want to keep it a long time!
I did the top half and will start with the pink camper color tomorrow and work my way down.


I also painted this small bee on a small canvas.
I patterned this off an apron I got for Christmas.

Look what Sherry brought down this afternoon!


Freshly picked blackberries!
SO good!!

The Golden Hour was upon us and I went for a hike to the back of the property.


I started out by heading down along the fence line.


Sometimes it looked like a trail of sorts where I suppose Sherry has had her tractor.


The wildflowers were beautiful and the birds were singing!





I walked a good ways and when I turned around, I couldn't see our place or Dean and Sherry's or anything but country.


See where the grass is kind of packed down?
That's the trails critters travel.
Critters as in coyotes......and others I have no idea of.


I was not brave enough to actually go into the thickets.


It was so different back down there. 
I turned and walked what I thought was the back of their property - but it actually goes beyond those trees.


So then I  traipsed on some more.


I knew there was a tank back in there somewhere and a creek beyond that.


I walked on from the tank and was probably foing the right direction except......
I got nervous that I couldn't find a way around without going through some dark trees.....
so I turned back....and then turned around and before I knew it - I was lost.
Louis Dean called me about that time and I said I would keep him on the phone until I found my way.
I walked around some more and he started to panic. The sun was setting and he doesn't have any better sense of direction than I do.
Bottom line - I called Dean.
He immediately got in the Durango and said, "I'm coming to get you. I WILL find you!"
And he did.
Come to find out - if I hadn't got scared and kept on walking - I would have been fine.
But I didn't know that.
I was very happy to see Dean and ride back up to the house!
We all sat on the deck and he told us stories of the times HE has been lost back there!
That made me feel better!
But some of his stories were scary so I am not going to go hiking by myself anymore.
It may not have been the smartest thing to do - going off alone - but I didn't want to be a little old lady that's afraid to do things. But next time I will take someone with me.


I took a nice hot shower and we ate cake topped with fruit and Cool Whip for supper!
And I was sure glad Dean rescued me.
He ran staight to the vehicle as soon as I called and didn't even put his shoes on!

I think that was adventure enough for me - but I'm still glad I did it! I just won't do it again. Alone.


22 comments:

Suezk said...

He is a top notch guy to come right for you ☺

Bluebird49 said...

You are a lucky, brave girl..and I am thankful for both Dean and Sherry. They have gifted you with a country life I can't imagine you having otherwise. I'm glad you still have a fire to be independent sometimes. 💕
Loved your paintings,as always.
It was nice to see Jesse behind his mask.
I know you are glad Louis Dean is feeling better; glad he is pacing himself, too.💕 Oh, your soup sounds wonderful, and your dessert looked so pretty.

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

You are blessed with such a kind and loving family who take care of you Linda when you need some help - which isn't very often. That was scary being out of sight of anything you are familiar with. Thank you for sharing so much tonight.
Hugs.
Joy

Susan said...

I am waiting for our Hobby Lobby to open. I ordered new needles and thread from Joanne's and it is going on 4 days now. So you have a bee farm? Do you sell honey? I love honey! Your desert looks yummy!

Carol said...

How blessed you are to have that place in the country! I don't go walking in our back property either anymore. I used to,but I am afraid I would get lost as well. I am thankful that you were able to get supplies, as our Hobby Lobby is not open yet.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

It is hard to hike without a marked trail! I'm glad you could get a signal with your phone and get help. It sure was beautiful back there though so I'm glad you shared the photos! take care and enjoy your day!

Deanna Rabe said...

That would be scary! It’s smart to never home alone! Glad for Dean to the rescue!

Looks like Louis Dean is feeling better too! I’m glad.

MadSnapper said...

i would be shivering in my boots about your lost story if i were not in my rocker barefoot. so glad your knight came and rescued you and you were in more danger in the stores than the back 40 i think. glad you are home and safe. kisses to Blue. he is beautiful...

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

That is really a huge property if you can get lost in it. No fun to be where you cannot find your way home, I 'm glad Dean knew where to look for you. Those berries must have been wonderful. They look delicious. Nothing growing here yet, It's too cold and we may have snow tomorrow they ay. Can't even plant anything when it's this cold.

Arlene G said...

I love your patriotic masks Linda. So glad you got to get your supplies at Hobby Lobby. And that Bee painting is lovely. It would make pretty note cards. I used Walgreens to take a picture of some of my cross stitch and had it turned into note cards. A fun project. So glad you had the sense to stay put. That is always the best advice when lost in the woods. My dad worked for the US Forest Service and that was always his advice. We are headed to Grimmwood on Wednesday...looking forward to it.

Vee said...

Yikes, Linda! I knew that you were okay because you were telling the story, but you had me right there. I may need to take some deep breaths to calm down. 😊 Yay for Dean rescuing you! Glad that you won't go alone...would one of the dogs walk with you?

So glad that things are opening up in Texas. No Hobby Lobby open in Maine yet. We do have hair salons and I need to get to one stat.

Good job staying busy! Ditto for Louis Dean.

Ginny Hartzler said...

What an adventure you had! I'm sure glad that none of those "other" critters showed up! Your bee that you painted is fabulous! It is more adorable than a real bee. And what a great idea to touch up the flag! Wow, you froze this hummingbird in mid-air! Now I want to see what you bought at Hobby Lobby! Since I cannot shop anymore, I need to do it through my friends.

photowannabe said...

Well, Miss Linda, I'm so glad you had your phone with you..It's too easy to get lost, especially as the sun is going down. You certainly don't want to mess with coyotes and creepy crawlies.
I do love the expanse of views all around you..God's little bit of Paradise.
Enjoy your time down there and I'm so glad that LD is pacing himself.
Sue

Carole said...

Glad you were ok - doesn't your phone have a maps function? Maybe it doesn't work so well in the country. Take care of yourself - and LD of course. Cheers

Judy said...

Whew! Glad you are safe and sound! What did we ever do before cell phones? Help is always just a call away these days.

Mrs.T said...

Wow, Linda, so happy you are safe. What an extra-perience, as my hubby would say! That would not be an area where I would want to go hiking by myself.

That dessert looks absolutely scrumptious!

Debbie said...

when i print my blog book, i have to make 4 for each year. potato soup is my favorite, yours looks amazing!! the wildflowers are so pretty and desert looks awesome!!

jujupage1 said...

So glad you managed to find your way back from that hike. I'm rubbish with navigation too!

peggy said...

Lost Linda, I will call you. I would never be that brave. I love the bee, my favorite today.

Changes in the wind said...

A treasure full of experiences for sure, especially the lost one! The bee pictures is so sweet. I am not sure about going back into stores and restaurants. Our cases are constantly rising here.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Glad that Dean came and "rescued" you, Linda, but I did enjoy the photos you shared from that lone hike. That was really a huge pile of denim and nice to be able to work outdoors, weather permitting. No retail stores seem to be open here in Nashua, NH, yet although barber shops and hair salons can open with restrictions next week. The week after restaurants can have outside seating with distancing. The bee art is beautiful as is that little camper flag. I like the homemade, reusable and washable masks so much better than the paper ones people are wearing and some are discarding on sidewalks afterwards.

NanaDiana said...

I only remember getting lost in the back woods on our farm once and it was very scary. I think I was about 14 or15. I never told my mother because I had been warned to not go down there. lol I am glad you were able to get a ride home!

Love that you were able to get to Hobby Lobby and it sounds like you did pretty good. That is a great bee canvas, too. I used to have quite a few bee items but have slowly pared down some of my collections.

I hope you have had a wonderful Mother's Day. xo Diana