Monday, July 2, 2018

Our Weekend......

It is rare for Roy and Ruth Ann to be in town the same time we are these days!
They spend 75% of their time on their farm now that Roy is retired while we spend 50% of our time down on the ranch - which belongs to Dean and Sherry - Louis Dean's son - and they have graciously granted us 'Squatter Rights!'


It was the perfect opportunity to get a good visit in with lunch on Saturday!
We were celebrating Roy's birthday and our 13th wedding anniversary at Outback Steakhouse.


Ruth Ann and I are trying to figure out how in the world we are going to get together to paint our Santas this year! 

**Source**

I normally paint two and this one is a near certain since I am loving all things 'country' these days!


We came home after lunch and went right back to work on the guest room.


I carried the rug in and rolled it out.
You can see the wall that has yet to be painted. All in good time.


The two walls where the bunk beds go are the ones that got first priority.


By late Saturday night, the stairwell section was out of the truck and IN the room.
You will be amazed at how Louis Dean did this all by himself - with just a bit of help from little old me. He used short lengths of PVC pipes and rolled that thing out of the truck and onto lengths of ladders laid all the way from the truck through the gate to our back bedroom door. We literally rolled it in and that sounds a whole lot easier than it actually was. Louis Dean is amazing at figuring out how to make things work!


A small section of it got buggered up so that had to be repaired.
But by this point we were so exhausted we fell into bed before midnight!
Not that sleep followed. We had both got way too tired and it was 3:00 in the morning before he finally threw down the twin mattress in the guest room and we parted company.....and finally slept.
He and I both have restless leg syndrome. Not every night and not both of us at the same time - usually. But when we are both exhausted - neither one of us gets any rest unless the guest room is available. He made it so last night.


Redoing one room seems to affect the whole house!


Since we were putting a room size rug down we had to take everything out.


It is a mess!
When I woke up this morning I knew I would never make it to church so I didn't even try.
Louis Dean wanted to mend the part that was damaged on the stairwell with glue and screws and let it dry. He did that and by 3:00 we were on our way to Dallas to meet up with Amber and Mike and the kids at the pool. Last time we went, Louis Dean wore his church clothes the entire time and never even touched the water.


Okay! 
We arrived and picked up the tickets Amber and Mike had left for us at the entrance and made our way to their table. 
Kailey was coming back to the table when she saw me and was making a bee line to hug ME - when she spotted her Granddad! Her Granddad trumps her MeeMaw any day of the week and I saw her make a swift and determined turn towards the OTHER side of the table!!!
I am so okay with that. I love to see this super special relationship they have. It started the first time they met and I hope it lasts the rest of his life.
Never mind that after the hugs and kisses and talk with her granddad, she headed back to the pool and her mama had to remind her to hug MeeMaw! I'm not sensitive. *sniff....sniff*.....but, honestly - I'm not.


It's hard to get one good pic of all five!
Granddad was smiling so big in all of them!!!


It was the perfect day for us to get a little rest and see the kids.
We were in the lazy river as the giant bucket of water poured out on top of us and Trystan was so excited that Granddad was right under it.
She said, "Look, MeeMaw!!! That made Granddad smile!"


He smiled all afternoon!!!


He even swam laps for the first time in forever!
On our way home he said, "Next year let's get Season Passes! And the next time we come, I will practice my laps and then ask Amber for some pointers."
Amber and Mike are both former life guards. That's actually how they met - at NorthLake pool.

To tell the truth, when we left home, I was so tired I was afraid I might cry any minute but it was a perfect afternoon and we both came home all refreshed and ready to tackle our projects again.
Louis Dean went to the guest room and succeeded in getting the rug straightened out and the stairwell in place. What did I do? I did some yard work, watered, cleaned the den and made a banana pudding for you know who. I bought a huge bunch of bananas at Aldi's on Thursday and Louis Dean unloaded the groceries for me. Except he left part of them in the trunk. As in the bananas, cantaloupe, and onions. ***Note to self*** Check the trunk next time!
I found them this afternoon when we were putting our swim things in there.
I had to throw most of the bananas away but I saved some to mash up and use in the pudding.

In between my chores and helping fetch and carry for Louis Dean, I started watching a Masterpiece program. I do love all things British and so miss Downton Abbey!
I think I have found a new series to love!
Now we are all set to welcome in a full week at home!
We have our goals set before us - and I can't wait to see how the guest room looks when we get it all finished and we are well on our way!

17 comments:

Kathy said...

You and Ruth Ann have to figure out something to do your Santa's. Maybe you could do it in the country? I'm sure you will work something out. What a fun time at the pool. I don't know how to swim so never go into deep water. Joe loves Endeavor. He watches it on our Public Broadcast station every week.

Arlene G said...

Projects are harder the older we get that is for sure. Marvin and I love Endeavor. Of course we enjoyed the Morse shows as well and I could not imagine a young Morse but the young man who plays Endeavor does a great job.

Susie said...

Linda, What a surprise to find out that LD had swim trunks. Is there anything that man can't do? LOL Those children love him to pieces. Does my heart good to see all of you together loving life. Can't wait to see your bedroom. I know you both will see it through. So good to see Ruth Ann and Roy looking so well. Take care in this heat, stay hydrated. Blessings to all, xoxo,love you, Susie

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Maybe you and Ruth Ann will need to paint out in the country. Perhaps she can visit you there, as she's done before. You must get your Santa's done! (grin)

I'm so glad you and Louis Dean had that day at the pool with Mike, Amber and the kids! You needed it! What a refreshing day.

The room is looking good. The bunk beds will make it super functional especially with the full bed on the bottom!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

How wonderful you could celebrate your anniversary together with a birthday of a friend. And nice you could cool off and refresh at the pool too. We have a pool here in our community to use, but I've yet to make a visit. Your room is going to look wonderful when done. Using those pvc pipes to move things is a good idea. My SIL did that when they had to move their garden shed and it worked for that too. Hope you are some rested to dive into another busy week. Nice you have an idea for your Santa this year. I have no idea what I'll be painting for Christmas this year, but I have been looking. Happy Monday !

Changes in the wind said...

I think you secret is flexibility...there is no way I could leave a project and just go and have fun. Love all the picture of LD and the quads especially the one you got of all five. I am sure the guest room is going to be very pretty and can't wait to see it finished.

Tina said...

You're both an inspiration, working so hard on that bedroom to get it ready for grandkid visits! Louis Dean looks so happy at the pool with the quads, glad he decided to get in the water this time! I haven't heard of Endeavour but it looks like it might be a good show for hubby and I to watch together! Have a fantastic Monday!

Bluebird49 said...

Oh, I love all things British, too! I was watching Endeavor while you were. I loved it.
It was wonderful to see Louis Dean smiling a wonderful smile, and all the kids with him! Where were you, mimi? 😎
That guest room is going to be something else, and lots of sleeping room for grandkids! You all are human dynamos!
💕💕💕💕 Trudy

Cheapchick said...

You would probably like Father Brown's mysteries. No religious tone except the setting, quite entertaining and they show it on PBS too. I also liked the Australian Miss Fisher diaries. So glad LD got in the water, the kids look overjoyed!

MadSnapper said...

PVC, great idea, will tell bob. a stairwell in the bedroom? I am assuming it is steps to get to the top bunk, can't wait to see the finished room....

Carla said...

Can't wait to see the finished room. Love the color. It's too bad the kids don't like their Grand-dad and vice versa. LOL LD definitely had big smile in all the pictures. Sounds like you and Ruth Ann need to sit down and look at a calendar to find dates to paint. And like someone else commented maybe a country painting venue at her's and yours.
Love the country Santa.

Donna said...

If you love British TV, may I suggest Acorn TV? It's $4.99 a month, & they have fantastic programs. Try for a month, then cancel it if you don't care for it.

Vee said...

It is the same here. The grands loved John so and let me know often that things are “not the same.” You do know, my friend, that we are all eternal? 😉 If we choose Heaven, it will be a mighty fine forever.

I am amazed by all the little fish in your family. The quad squad swims like crazy...diving, too. Must be in the genes.

So odd to not have Linda and Ruth Ann, Inc. together! You girls are going to have to make plans to be together on purpose.

The room is coming together nicely. Who will use it first? (Besides you or Louis Dean...that doesn’t count.)

A happy week to you. Get your rest now...

BeachGypsy said...

the pool day looks amazing and I would never want to get OUT!! ha ha LOL The progress on the room project is coming along so quickly, it's going to be great!

The Feminine Energy said...

((((((((((Linda))))))))))), I'm so sorry you had trouble with my "no reply" email. I did that on purpose because I don't check that email box.... I just used it to sign-up for my blog page. You instructed me to write you from the email box I use and said your email address is in the right-hand side bar of your page here.... but I'm not seeing it. :-( Is your email address listed and I'm just having a senior moment? *haha* Much love, Andrea xoxo

Linda said...

It’s on the right side bar - Facebook Badge - or you can use artlady1948@gmail.com
I get confused a lot! I nearly didn’t even find the reply button to write this! It’s a wonder I blog at all!!!

Carole said...

Linda, LD looks so young in the pool - I almost didn't recognise him! Please send some of your warmth over to NZ - it feels very cold the last few days - but it is fine. Cheers