Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Country Scenes and Dinner Reservations

Louis Dean went to Waco again today.
Same thing as yesterday.....nearly.
First - Home Depot in Bellmead.
This is a safe place for him. 
He knows how to get there and how to get back.
Thing is - they more often than not do NOT have what he is there to get.
So I gave him directions to Lowe's on New Road in Waco.
Three phone calls later I innocently assumed he had arrived.
Not so! Turns out he never found it! ??????
It is ON New Road!
HE was ON New Road.
No matter.
Apparently he remembered how to get to the Home Depot on West Waco Drive.


The up side is he brought me flowers!

While he was gone, I got out there in the front room where it is uaually 98 degrees and it was a pleasant 80! Louis Dean piles up things and I de-piled them today. I cleaned the big bathroom and restored some semblance of order to 'his' areas of the front room.
At home and here at the camper/cabin - he has his own space.
It's a more limited space at home - his music room. But then he has more outdoor space there - as where Sanford and Son still have a plot of ground.


Amazingly, here at the ranch, he has kept things remarkably UN Sanford and Son like.....
at least outside!


I took this pic through the window screen from the green wingback arm chair Deanie gave me.
He is on to another project!
Joining the front deck to the side deck where he parks the truck and adding a gate.
He wants to get this done before the work is done putting a barn red metal roof over the whole shebang!
It took most of the day for him to drive to Bellmead and then into Waco, get lost, call me multiple times and finally find his way to a different store and come back to the ranch - stopping to cut sunflowers on the way. 

He did, indeed, make the frame for the deck - or at least part of it.
We need not worry about dinner because we had reservations for 7:30 down at Dean and Sherry's.


We drove by our beehives on the way down.
The bees were on the front fanning away to keep the hive cool.


I don't venture into this part of the ranch often but it's really pretty.


There are several tanks on the place. 
The big tank. The mud tank. The duck tank.....and two or three others.


The geese were coming in from the big tank.


Thay are pretty and I need to paint a geese pic to go with the other critters I have painted from down here......but goodness, gracious! They are LOUD!!!


I love how all the ducks march in like little soldiers at the end of the day.


The big tank is where they kayak. 
You can see the two white buckets on the far left.
This is the bucket feeding area for the bees.
As soon as you harvest the honey - or robbing the hives - as it can be called -
you must start feeding them immediately.
Sherry did.



I know this is much the same pic as the one before - but I LOVE this place!


Louis Dean got too tired today.
He does that.
He may wear out one of these days but I promise you he will NOT rust out!

Oh, what a wonderful meal we had tonight!


This dinner rolls are the best!!
Sherry bought them at Sam's and I will be there Thursday or Friday buying a bag for us!


Sherry grilled onions, peppers and patty pan squash for this side dish.
DEE-lish-ous!!!


Rounding out the menu was home grown black-eyed peas, grilled pork chops and a garden salad.


Dessert was watermelon and honeydew that Sherry picked straight from the garden!


Oops! We nearly missed the deviled eggs Sherry made.
She uses this fancy Champagne Vinegar to make them......


and they ARE the 'Champagne' 





18 comments:

Beyda'nın Kitaplığı said...

Fotoğraflara bayıldım:)

Susan said...

Great pictures! Now I am hungry!

BeachGypsy said...

Howdy my green eyed girlfriend, Hope you're doing great! Oh my goodness you have some gorgeous pictures of the ranch on this post....especially the last few with the kayaks and the tanks and those beautiful sun rays shining down. Just gorgeous land for sure. Love seeing the ducks dancing in the sun and the water. Love those black eye peas, made a big crock pot of them yesterday. Those sure look like Sister Shubert rolls, are they? If so, those are my favorite, they are SO GOOD. I love love loved reading all about the honey harvest and seeing all the amazing pictures........wow, all those jars, big and small......full of liquid gold! Honey is such a sweet delicious treat, and it's also GOOD FOR US, RIGHT? Full of protein and even natural antibacterials I think? sure looked like a big harvest to me!

Susie said...

Linda, I want you to sew LD name in his clothes, or have him micro chipped, ...or he is gonna get lost and some other woman is gonna snatch that man right up. LOL He looks sweet even tired and how adorable he brought back sunflowers for you. Wow, what a great supper. I am so glad you all have enjoyable times together. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Be safe. Blessings, xoxo,love you, Susie

MadSnapper said...

All that homegrown food has me drooling even though I just had breakfast a little while ago! A squash dish I could just eat a big plate of that for my whole meal it looks so good and I do love y'all with squash. Fact is everything you should there I love. I would love to see those tanks and I would love to see the Ducks but not the loud geese. If I had somebody to help me time travel I would love to come and pop down in your front yard and see all the critters and all the beauty that's out there and ride on the tractor

Chatty Crone said...

The photos of the ranch are gorgeous! Your food looks awesome. I envy you in such good ways. I hope that Dean is okay - he does remember to bring you flowers tho - awesome!

Changes in the wind said...

You and LD make a good team:) He gets lost and you find him. What a nice treat to go to dinner and it all looked great. Have never had fresh black-eyed peas. The pictures of the property are pretty but especially of the water.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Such beautiful pictures of the ranch today. Lois Dean's new project sound quite ambition and that dinner looks wonderful. Nice to have dinner all ready for you on such a hot day. Take care and keep safe.

Luann said...

Those Sister Shubert Rolls ARE the best! They always go over well and if you don't have home made ones around they are the next best thing. I was so excited when I found them years ago. The big bag is at Sam's but you can also buy a pan full in the freezer section at Walmart's. Probably other stores as well I just don't shop the other stores regular enough to look. Glad to hear you both are doing well. Luann

Wanda said...

The food always looks so good. Love homemade dinner rolls with lots of butter and some of your honey!

Louis Dean looks like he got a little sunburn on his nose and cheeks.

The ranch pictures are right out of a travel magazine. Love the geese.

Daughter, #2, Julie is coming tomorrow to help us take some bags of stuff to the thrift store. I have a large painting that belonged to my dearest brother. I have no wall big enough, so Julie is taking in home to enjoy.

Life is a different busy here for us, but we are taking each day and loving life.

Bluebird49 said...

Wow, Sherry ought to open a restaurant! What a feast. 💕
Louis got lost and got tired, poor thing. Getting lost is stressful! For anyone. He's a brave soul!
Loved all your pictures. It looks as if you are having an especially great,relaxing time there.
There's more space for Mr. Louis Dean Sanford out there! Give him time...it'll happen, lol! 😘
Y'all just enjoy your "down" time at your happy space and be glad you don't even hear the news. You're in a great little bubble out there!💕I
Hope the kittens are behaving. 😻

Deanna Rabe said...

Louis Dean is an amazing man. Glad he is still able to be active. Extending the deck sounds like a good idea.

Your dinner looks good. It’s fun to enjoy family together!

Robyn said...

Oh my gosh Louis Dean does make me giggle. SO SO much like my own Louis...And yes, the same here. My Louis makes piles and I put the piles away.. I guess it's just that way isn't it?... The geese are so pretty!!... Oh that dinner looked delicious. How nice to go to someone else's house where they do all the cooking. I usually do it all but it would be nice sometime for someone else too.. She really went all out and made a beautiful dinner.

Wanda said...

Linda, I know how busy you are, but I wonder if you could tell me again how to post a blog on face book. I see that you do from time to time, and you mentioned a place in the blog dashboard but I don't see a place to do it. I'm afraid I'm a slow learner. More visual I guess. Only if you have a moment.

wanda.slaven@gmail.com

Carole said...

I don't depile my better half - he can pile as much as he likes in his office (large room) and the garage - but not anywhere else - he is a bit of a hoarder so I had to set boundaries - living in amongst piles of stuff is too hard for me. Cheers - and stay safe

photowannabe said...

Where did yesterday go?
I can't believe I missed your post.
Love all of it but especially love the photo of Louis Dean and his sweet smile.
Sue

Great-Granny Grandma said...

The ranch looks so beautiful. Do bees really fan the hive to keep it cool? And I've never heard of feeding bees. What do you put out in the buckets for them? And that meal looks super yummy.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Getting lost can be frustrating and time consuming so glad Louis Dean made it back OK and that was a great photo of him sitting and relaxing. What a wonderful meal at home and who needs to go anywhere when there's those deviled eggs and home grown melons too.