Thursday, September 18, 2014

Lady's Lunch, Slumgullion, Suitcase, Happy Trails, Mincemeat Bars and A NEW CAMERA!!!!

It has been such a nice Thursday!
Louis Dean went off to do errands right after our coffee and reading time this morning.


My friend, Brenda, came for lunch this afternoon. She and I have been friends for something like 30 years or more! While we usually eat our lunches together in the kitchen - I decided to use the dining room today. The table was already set!
Last night I made a hefty batch of Goulash - enough for Wednesday night dinner in Quadville with enough for our lunch today! I call the dish GOULASH but back when I was a little girl and Mother made it SHE called it SLUMGULLION! Now that just sounds nasty!!
Basically it is ground beef, onions, bell peppers, seasoning, tomato sauce and/or paste and macaroni.
When I served it last night, Amber remarked, "This is the food I remember you making when I was at home! You cook like you always have!"
Food shared with a friend along with good conversation is one of life's little blessings!

After she went back to work, I hauled out my suitcase!


I packed my makeup bag and toiletries. That was about it! I threw in 2 caps and a long denim dress that I like to wear in the evenings before bed. Louis Dean doesn't use a suitcase. He has duffel bags.


The reason I didn't finish packing is that I wanted to go listen to Louis Dean making music with his friends!


It just makes him so happy for me to be there!
What can I say?? I'm such a sucker for a pretty face!!
They play from 6:00 - 7:00, break for refreshments (I brought fruitcake cookies - which were a big hit!) then they play again from 7:30 - 8:30. It was fun!


Their closing song was Happy Trails and it brought back some good childhood memories!
What an awesome way to close a jam session!!!


Now for the Mincemeat Bars!
My kitchen is smelling heavenly as I write this!
They are warm from the oven and I may need to do a taste test before going to bed!
These are for my stepson and I will be sending them down to the ranch tomorrow along with Lucy!
Dean (stepson) has lost TWO beloved dogs within a week.
He is so tender hearted and right now his heart is broken.
We are grateful he is willing to keep Lucy while we go off to have an adventure in Colorado.


Finally we come to my last topic tonight!
My NEW camera!!!

I am rough on cameras! Amber and Mike bought one for me back in our Katy days. It was red like this.
I dropped that one in a wading pool while I was trying to take a picture of Logan.


Louis Dean graciously replaced it with this one. 
I have dropped that one, too! It still worked although the shutter lens didn't quite close for awhile.
And then Logan reached out and touched it with a peanut butter covered finger so there was always a blurred spot to the upper left of all my subsequent pictures.
See??? It's all about Logan!! Then last night I accidentally left the charger and extra battery in Quadville. We're leaving soon on vacation so Louis Dean went back over there to pick it up this afternoon.  The perk was he got to see the quads one last time before we leave so he was a happy Granddad and Amber was a happy mommy to get an unexpected small break!!

He came home by way of Best Buy where he bought the red camera pictured earlier!
I am loving it!!!!
I take pictures every single day of my life.
It may drive some of my family nuts and I do NOT take pics of those who wish me not to do so!!
STILL!!! I totally USE my camera and I am so NOT a photographer so I need an easy peasy one that takes decent pictures. You may notice I edit ALL the ones with the quads adding 'Linda's Life Journal' to them. The others need editing just because they NEED it so badly!

Now look at what my new camera will do.






ONE photo shot FIVE ways at ONE click!
This was my very FIRST photo with the new camera!
I could not have picked a better subject!

So instead of driving myself crazy so we can be ready to go Saturday morning at an ungodly hour -
Louis Dean and I have decided to relax and play it by ear. IF we are ready we will leave as planned.
If NOT - no worries! We can leave Sunday! After all - there is no schedule that demands we return at a certain time. At least there isn't now. I had to defer that jury summons.....again.



7 comments:

Judy said...

Go with the flow...and have fun! And take lots of pic's with that flashy red camera!

Ginny Hartzler said...

Growing up,I remember that my folks talked about and cooked Slumgullion, but have never remembered what it IS! I am so glad to know now, and it looks so good...great comfort food. I am very clumsy and have gone through a few cameras in three last six or seven years. I got a new camera too! Yours is awesome! Very cute, small, and I adore these effects!!! How did Louis Dean know to get you the perfect camera? Happy Trails!

Kathy said...

Oh how I loved Roy Rogers and Dale Evans. I used to watch their show every Saturday when I was little. The things we remember. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

I make a "goulash" very similar to yours except I don't have any pasta in it. My great-grandmother used to make it and she got the recipe off of a radio program in the 1930s!

That new camera of yours is great! I expect to see lots of great pictures with it.

Have fun on your trip.

Cheapchick said...

Have a fabulous trip - you two deserve it! When you get back please share that Mincemeat bar recipe as mincemeat is one of my favorite things!

MadSnapper said...

so glad you got the new camera to play with on your trip... and it was fitting that LD be the first photo since he bought it for you...stay away from water.. LOL... or tape it to your wrist.... mother made goulash but it was tomatoes, corn, okra and something i cant remember. i think goulash is when you just put whatever you have left over in a pot and cook it together... she did a lot of that... so did i until i quit cooking...

Linda said...

New cameras are good.....I go through them too, but not as fast as you do. I need to learn how to edit too. Have fun this weekend!!!

Gypsy Heart said...

I need a new camera too! This one looks like it is going to be great for you. My mother used to make Goulash and it was always delish! Hope you have a wonderful trip!

xo
Pat