Monday, September 22, 2014

A Day in the Mountains

We left Trinidad this morning and turned off the Interstate to drive up into the mountains!
Light rain only added to the ambiance. We loved watching the shadows on the mountains. The fragrance of the rain freshened air in San Isabel National Forest was amazing.


We found a lovely place for a picnic lunch.


It was so much fun watching Louis Dean enjoy himself.
He had a rough night and woke up at 6:00 from a terrible dream.
He was so discombobulated I wasn't sure what to do.
A hot bath calmed him down and we went over to the lobby and had a good breakfast - they had everything from waffles to scrambled eggs to oatmeal - and of course, COFFEE!!
He then played his guitar and by the time we checked out he was back to normal.


I think the highlight of our day was seeing this red fox right by the place we had lunch.
We were so entranced that at first we forgot to take pictures!!
He wandered around for several minutes and seemed totally at ease with us admiring him!


Our picnic table - chicken salad sandwiches and homemade cookies from Nita!


I enjoyed our time here - savoring the moments. If I LIVED near here - I would make a thermos of coffee or a container of tea, bring my book and that small white folding chair of mine and just SIT!!!
I did some of that today!


This photo is from Louis Dean's camera.
He was THE only bird we saw and he was NOT happy we were there!!!






SO beautiful here!!!


This is my favorite picture of me!
Louis Dean said, "Stand in the sun!"



On our way....


beauty everywhere we look!


Louis Dean insisted we buy fuel at this Sinclair station so I could take a picture in Mike's honor!
Mike is Nita's husband and loves all things 'Sinclair!'

We drove on into Manitou Springs coming up Hwy 115.
Our motel is one I stayed in so very long ago when Summer and Jesse were small children!
Jesse, the swimming pool is still here and brought back memories of when you were such a little boy and would jump off the diving board and just SIT on the bottom until your dad would pick you up!
Tomorrow we will be moving just up the street and there we will stay until we leave for home.
As wonderful as vacations are - they are also a bit tiring - loading and unloading every day.
I think we will do well to use Manitou as our base.


Tomorrow is Tuesday and in keeping with my tradition, we will shop the Goodwill that started my Goodwill adventures!!
It was 1969 when we first came to Colorado for vacation.
Summer, Jesse, Jr and my then husband, Jesse.
When we checked into the motel we discovered that we had left both Summer's and Jr.'s suitcases in the living room at HOME!!! No worries!!! We found this Goodwill and outfitted them and have been Goodwilling ever since! Summer, you will be glad to know it is as it was when we were all last here!
Some things never change!

We are spending the evening RESTING!!! Even good highway mountain driving can take the starch out of you and I have slathered my neck in Ben Gay and am ready to prop up in bed on the fluffy pillows an watch TV. I'm sure after watching The Black List we will sleep like babies!!
(I am being facetious!)

Tomorrow - after changing motels - and shopping Goodwill - we will head up Hwy 24 to the town of Cascade, to The Wines of Colorado!


There is creek side dining and Louis Dean LOVES the Buffalo Wine Burger!
I 'Liked' them on Facebook.


THIS was what I found on their page!!
Louis Dean has the red - I usually drink white so I'm guessing that's the COLD water and red is the HOT faucet!



16 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

What a treat to go on vacation with you! I am so glad you are posting as you go along! Your videos are a delight! And the SOUND!!! The birds singing in one, and the cascading water in the other. Your blue bird is a Steller's Jay! I adore these tall white trees with the yellow leaves. With Lois Dean there, you can really see how tall they are! How wonderful to see the fox!!!! He is beautiful.

Jutta said...

The nature resebles the Finnish Fall! Only there are no mountains back here. What a lovely way to travel together without any fixed plans at all. Way to go! Wish tou a great rest of the vacation!!

Gypsy Heart said...

I love Colorado and the area you're visiting. Such beauty...and I can breathe! :) Sometimes a rarity here in Texas.

Enjoy every moment and keep on taking pictures!
xo
Pat

Deb said...

Beautiful!!!! I'm enjoying your vacation!

Kathy said...

Such a nice vacation! Thanks for taking us with you. Everything is so beautiful. Enjoy your Goodwill shopping today.

Hootin Anni said...

This is gonna be a fun trip for me.........like going home week!!

[Love the photo of you 'in the sun'!!!]

Miss Dishywoo said...

Like the other commenters, I am simply loving going along and seeing all the sights with you and LD. The photo of you in the sun is beautiful.

Stacey said...

Oh it's so pretty Linda! You are just as cute as a bug too.

Kelly said...

What a wonderful vacation you're on right now! That picnic area looked beautiful. Loved seeing the fox cross the road. Wish I was there too. Looks like fun!

Changes in the wind said...

Oh how refreshing that rain must have been....you are doing things up right.

Jackie See said...

Linda, thank you for sharing these beautiful photos! Enjoy!

MadSnapper said...

gorgeous..love those trees and the picnic area and your favorite is my favorite to

Susie said...

Linda, I love your pictures. LD's photo of you in the sun and the bird . I am enjoying "our" trip together. :):) Blessings, xoxo,Susie

Nonnie said...

Oh Colorado! I love Colorado. So much beauty. I could spend weeks there. Your pictures are great. I'm sorry about Louis Dean having a rough time of it, but glad he's calmed down.
The pic of you and the one of the bird are really good. How cool to see the fox.

Debbiedoos said...

Oh just beautiful Linda! I love that picture of you too. It looks like it could be in a commercial:) Thanks for sharing your trip with us.

Judy said...

How fun to join you on the road! I have good memories of our visit to Colorado a few years back...and our time in Manitou Springs...and our trip up to Pike's Peak. Enjoy!!!!