Saturday, July 20, 2024

My Newest Art Student!!

Louis Dean and I start nearly every single day with coffee and Quiet Time on the kitchen deck.
We are reading Chuck Swindoll's book - Growing Strong in the Seasons of Life.
I select cards from my memory verse boxes of which I have three. One in the bedroom, one in the kitchen and one in my car. We are in the third year of reading through the Chronological Bible - it takes us longer as we aren't really keeping up with the dates. Another devotional book or two and then our 'Out Loud' reading......The Little House Series - again. Right now we are finishing up Farmer Boy.


While sitting out there we play games seeing things in the clouds.....pictures, animals, whatever.
My siblings and I used to play this game when we were little.
Linda, Lloydine, Lanita and Lonnie.
Watching the clouds never gets old.

Friday I was cooking for our Saturday when Jesse and Rachel were coming over for art class and lunch. Alas, I needed some fresh broccoli for my soup and our beloved neighbor, Stephanie, ran up to Braums and picked some up for me.


The bonus to this was we got to visit with her for a few minutes!!
She is one of our MOST favorite people in the world!!

 I spent several hours in the kitchen making broccoli cheese soup - using a Bear Creek mix with all sorts of goodies added to it! Plus a Dill Pasta salad box with a bunch of veggies and herbs. Then two family size boxes of strawberry Jello with bananas AND an apple pie!

Preparing ahead of time was a good idea.


Rachel and Jesse arrived and she brought wine!
A sweet pineapple moscato!
The only painting Rachel has done was the 'Painting With a Twist.'
Today she started her first oil painting and she totally rocked it!


We are doing our version of a painted horse....


and we are loving it!


Rachel is the first art student I have had in YEARS!!!
We  both had a ball!!


I am blown away at how well she did!
Such a quick learner and a good eye for color.
I'm so excited to have someone to paint with again!
We've already scheduled or next session.
This project will take a total of 8 painting hours with four sessions of two hours each.
It was a good time!

I neglected to get a pic of my handsome son, Jesse!
He installed an antenna so we have regular TV now.
I canceled Spectrum TV since we didn't use it much and it frustrated Louis Dean.

Jesse also installed a long grab bar in the bathroom for Louis Dean.
He dearly loves his nightly baths and - I'll tell you a secret - he LOVES bubbles, oils and all sorts of bath products.

Lunch was good and I forgot to take pics - how does that happen??

They left shortly after 2:00 and LD and I both took nice long naps.....


I went back to the art table and worked on a canvas I am going to give Bill - a neighbor at the New Mexico cabin in Loma Linda. This was his favorite dog and I'm hoping to finish it in time to take it when we go there next month.


I close tonight's journal entry with this pic of Louis Dean repairing the umbrella that Nita's beloved neighbor, Sheryl, gave us. He absolutely LOVES repairing things. Makes his eyes light up and he gets right to work!

We are going to the ranch tomorow and spend a few days.....
the weather will be mild and there's even rain in the forecast.
I'm excited to get to see the progresss of Dean and Sherry's 1925 house connected to their existing house!

I confess that I am absolutely LOVING decorating for Fall!
Every time I walk into a finished room - I smile so big!
I'll share photos in the coming weeks but I want to have it all DONE before we go to the cabin. 
Some things will wait until September First - as in the fruitcake cookies, Neil Diamond, and a fresh batch of pumpkin muffins.

I am nearly 76 years old and realize that I can do what pleases me and makes me happy!
This in no way takes away one bit of pleasure for my summer loving friends!
Enjoy and celebrate your favorite season - whatever it is!







10 comments:

Anonymous said...

It all looks so good you know I look forward to your posts! I'm glad you have an "art student" again. It worked out good for you all!
I switched places with Ed and fell night before last!😑 I'm fine, but I don't recommend it. Going down, I hit the back of my head on the piano bench! It's a little sore but I'm fine! I lay on my back a couple of minutes to make sureI will try not to do that again, but I just fell on my back! Don't know how, but I'm grateful I didn't break me OR the piano bench!😉 I'm just hardheaded!😐
Have a wonderful time at the cabin! I know you cannot wait, and I cannot wait to see and hear about it! I'm sure you can use a getaway!
Love you - Trudy
PS: have a great week!
PS2: Our AC went out this afternoon! I don't know when we can get it fixed. Maybe Monday. It's in the 90s, only been into the 100s A couple of times!😎

Ginny Hartzler said...

Both of the horse paintings are so good that I cannot tell who painted which one! You are a very good teacher! I can't wait to see your fall decorating!! I have been starting in the middle of August, because now it usually takes me about two weeks. I can't do near as much in one day as I used to do.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

It's obvious that you and your student had the best time panting, Linda, and it must be fun to have a fellow artist to work alongside. Enjoy your get away at the ranch. I am in no hurry to rush the seasons and will let fall return in its own good time.

Arlene G said...

Enjoy your time at the ranch, Linda. We are off to see The Ark this week! As you said, we must do what we can while we can!! If I lived near you , I would take advantage of the art classes. I have always enjoyed learning a new craft. I spent the weekend at a stitching retreat in Huntsville, AL and so enjoyed being with other people who are passionate about needlework as well.

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

What a fun few days! Both of your horses look great, but you are right, considering that she has not really painted before, it is exceptional! Fall is our favorite time of the year, cannot wait!

Chatty Crone said...

Is this a good book - Growing Strong in the Seasons of Life?
Enjoy the ranch. Nice you have another place to go.
The weather is a little cooler, but I bet it goes up again.
How sweet you are giving art classes.
Love you and Dean fixing things and helping others.
Also doing what you want at 76!

MadSnapper said...

you are right, Rachel has natural talent for sure. so glad you got the antenna, God bless Jesse.. no sense paying all that money for spectrum and not using it.. can't wait to see pics of the new old house.. that is exciting and wish I could see it.. it is a blessing LD loves to repair and garden and do all that he does. bob has not one thing to do but tv..

Carla said...

Both Paintings look great. Mine would look like a cartoon or a modern version of some kind. I'm not so good at the painting thing. I have say my favorite time of year is when we see 70 degree weather so maybe early spring. But I like fall things too. LOL
I was staring at the clouds the other day and told David what I saw and his reply was
"oh okay yeah whatever you say". No fun. LOL

Enjoy the ranch time

photowannabe said...

How fun..I am so glad you are doing the oils and that you have a student to share with.
Your Louis Dean looks so happy with a project to complete. That's what keeps him going.
Cloud Musings is a favorite thing for me too.
Hope we have some pretty ones soon so I can post them too.
Love you and love your posts.
Sue

Great-Granny Grandma said...

What fun to have an art student again.
Enjoy your trip to the ranch.