Sunday, August 4, 2024

Days #2 and #3 in the Mountain Cabin!

 We are enjoying the last day here and each one has been like a lovely gift!


Yesterday Louis Dean and I walked up the road here and we passed a little girl playing with a garden snake and she let me hold it!


We walked past Bill's place - they live here year round - and his wife is a master gardener!
He's the one I'm painting a portrait of his favorite dog.
Too bad I wasn't able to finish and bring it with us but I will mail it once it's done.

We intended to walk up to drop off the trash - but the thunder sounded and it started sprinkling - so we turned back.

I've been doing some writing on chapter 34 and making some progress.
Louis Dean is loving all the flowers around here and is collecting a selection of seeds to take home.
He's planning on making a mini meadow in the backyard where Sanford and Son used to live!
We are making some big changes back there!
Step by step!

Not only are we surrounded by such gorgeous....


we are eating like royalty!


Jesse cooked a late lunch for us yesterday and it was delicious.


This is the New Mexico wine I bought on our way up here and it is good!
Naps followed lunch and then more writing for me and a western movie for LD.
We have both cabins this trip so Jesse and Rachel are in the smaller one and we have the bedroom here in the big one. Lots of space and peace and quiet.

Supper was baked potatoes (cooked all day in the crock pot) and strawberry Jello for dessert.
I did not get a pic of the awesome campfire on Saturday night!
We played games around the fire - favorite lines from movies!
Love how we have spent these days....

This morning Jesse made a big breakfast of scrambled eggs, sausage, fried potatoes, and toast - along with his excellent coffee!!

He took us for a ride up this mountain cluster of homes on a golf cart and it was wonderful.
So many cabins and houses and all so different. LD says if we were 20 years younger we would buy one! That ship has sailed and I am so thankful for the priviledge of just being here!


Jesse drove the golfcart down to the stream and we stopped to explore.


I am storing up all the sights and sounds of our time here in my heart and mind and will be revisiting them in the coming days of triple digit heat in Texas when we get home.


Louis Dean is such a handsome guy!


I do believe I could live here - but I can't so I will continue to treasure our every visit.
This marks our fourth one.


We are all enjoying our time both being here and being together with Jesse and Rachel!


I decided to wade out in the creek - because I could!
It's always a good thing to do the fun things even when we're older.
I'm reminded of the saying about doing what you can - while you can - with whom you can - for as long as you can. Do what you can until you can't. I 'm putting this into practice every day.


I didn't have a walking stick to get out in the creek - but Louis Dean found one for me and pitched it right at my feet. This made it easier to get back up to the bank.
I'm pretty happy about doing this even with my arthitic feet and walking on the round stones instead of flat ones.


Rachel took this pic as we were looking at the photos of me in the creek.

We went back to the cabin and did up the dishes and rested a bit and then Jesse took us on the ultimate Sunday drive in the mountains.


We drove through La Junta Canyon in Carson National Forest all the way to the end where only ATV could continue. What a beatiful drive.


On our way down I snapped a pic of these campers.
I'm thinking it would be a wonderful experience if Brenda and Billy could come here some September to celebrate our birthdays. That will go on my Bucket List.


This is our movie of choice this afternoon.
After we watched it - we made a video of LD singing Summertime - set in a field of daisies!


He knows his music but can't quite sing and play at the same time anymore.
At least when we are trying to record it.
Otherwise he can ace it!


Maybe next time I will record him without him knowing it!
Our new normals are changing daily but I do know he does best when he and I are together. 
He does well with others - as long as there are not too many people.
Left by himself, I have observed him without him noticing I'm there...
and he is discombobulated and staring into space.
He's a classic example of dementia and Alzheimer's and it's good to know the stages and needs of each.
So being with people is good for him.
We are blessed with family and friends who love him and he can relate to them.....
as in the Bells, Ilene, Dean and Sherry, Brenda and Billy, Stephanie, Summer, Jesse, and so many others.


We are closing out this last night in the cabin with a film.
My all time favorite movie - Jeremiah Johnson!

Bidding you all goodnight from the cabin in New Mexico!


15 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

Yes, Louis Dean is very handsome! And you are pretty cute yourself. Jesse must be a wonderful cook. On 60 minutes tonight I saw about a doctor who pioneered a new treatment for Alsheimer's. It is hard for the medicine to get to the brain because of the blood/brain barrier. He has discovered how to break thru the barrier for about 48 hours, then give the medicine. It gets straight to the brain. It is working, it removes the plaques! The F.D.A. has O.K.'d him to use the procedure. I believe his clinic is in West Virginia.

Mary in Colorado said...

I SO ENJOY ALL YOUR BLOG POSTS MOST ESPECIALLY THE ONES WHEN YOU ARE AT THE FARM AND AT THE CABIN IN NEW MEXICO. I LIVE IN ALAMOSA,COLORADO WHICH IS RIGHT ON THE COLORADO NEW MEXICO BORDER(NOT FAR FROM TAOS) AND WOULD LOVE TO STAY IN A CABIN. LIKE YOU ARE IN AND WITH THE SAME DELIGHTFUL SURROUNDINGS. YOUR SON JESSE IS AN EXTRAORDINARY SON AND I AM SO GLAD HE PLANS THESE DELIGHTFUL TRIPS FOR ALL 4 OF YOU…I’M ALITTLE JEALOUS!!! MARY IN COLORADO

Estelle's said...

I certainly enjoyed reading your post this morning...how absolutely wonderful this trip is for you all....beautiful and peaceful....somewhat a gift....so glad you were able to go and enjoy this special time....

MadSnapper said...

the photo of LD close up is excellent and he is really handsome. I smiled when I saw he had on non-cammo overalls. ha ha.. its a stunning place to take a few days off and my favorite part would be wading in the creek, flowers in the field and #1 the fire pit and a fire...

BeachGypsy said...

Looks like an AMAZING trip, Linda!! Love all these lovely pictures! You look adorable and the scenery is so pretty. ENJOY!!!--- and safe journey back home!

Chatty Crone said...

You know what is on my bucket list? I want to go to a cabin and put my feet in the water like you did! I would love that.
Love your header sunflower.
The food looked great.
Happy you are having such a great time.
sandie

Deanna Rabe said...

I loved hearing Louis Dean singing! I'm so glad you are able to live a good and happy life together. You take good care of him, and he loves you!

What a blessing that cabin is to you both!

Susie said...

Linda, I love that you and LD went exploring. Always be safe. I so enjoyed hearing LD sing. I would make him sing for his supper. LOL. Blessings, love you guys, xoxo, Susie

Granny Marigold said...

What an amazing place you visited. No wonder you'd love to live there all the time. I turned up the sound really loud so I could enjoy the sounds of the little stream. Heavenly 💗

Debby said...

I enjoyed this post about you and of course your Louis Dean. What a beautiful area!

photowannabe said...

Linda, this blog post is just magical. Your trip to NM was filled with so many wonderful things and that video of LD singing is my ultimate favorite. I love his voice and interpetation of the song. I really do think he is handsome and looking younger all the time.
Yes on your observations on Dementia and Alzheimers. You just keep doing what you can do until you can't.
Love you and your attitude.
Sue

Anonymous said...

So good to see youall enjoying nature and with your wonderful son!

Shug said...

Wonderful singing...this blessed me! And what a wonderful Blessing for you all to be enjoying nature at its best. I certainly enjoyed seeing all of it, while just imagining the sweet smells of the area and hearing the water run. Great Post.

Anonymous said...

WV…amazing…my home state…Brenda in Florida…name of doctor?..

Anonymous said...

Is that at WVU?.. Brenda