Tuesday, August 13, 2024

Cleaning! Cooking! Celebrating!

I notice I get a little behind from time to time now when I used to do my journal entries nearly every evening. I have purposely slowed our 'life' down as far as activities and going and coming goes.
But no matter how hard I try - LIFE stays busy - no matter what I do to 'slow' it down. 

My #1 priority these days is Louis Dean and we do well when we are together.
He lost his wedding band at the camper a few months ago and I thought to buy him a metal detector.


We took it to the front yard - because the back yard is FULL of metal from his dumping nails, screws, washers and  such between the storage buildings and the deck boxes. Grass will NEVER grow there again! 


We don't fully know how to use it but I'm thinking he will havefun with it when we go down to the ranch. He believes the ring may be out in the grass since he washes his overalls by hand and then tosses the water out. He's looking forward to getting back down there and looking for it!


I made a huge pot of vegetable soup last week using up all my odds and ends of veggies plus herbs from my garden. It was really good and I bagged most of it up and put in the freezer!

It is HOT in Texas and we get out in the mornings and at night.


Louis Dean is still a strong man and he knows how to do things.
He moved this huge piece of cut stone from the back of our property to make a bench on the bedroom patio.


He is an expert on Physics! How to make things work!


And, lo and behold, he did it all by himself!


Perfectly level!

Friday was an errand day with a trip to Sam's, Kroger, Walmart and Aldi.
I spent all of Saturday in the kitchen prepping food for our Family Gathering on Sunday.
We were celebrating three birthdays! 


Benjamin turned 36 at 5:00 on Sunday afternoon.
He was the first to arrive!


Amber and Harrison arrived next - straight from hockey practice!
Look how tall he is!


These are the children of my old age....I was 36 when I had Amber and one month shy of 40 when I had Benjamin. Amber was born at 5:00 in the morning and Benjaming at 5:00 in the afternoon!


What a blessing and comfort they have been to me as has my first born daughter, Summer, and first born son, Jesse. I am so blessed to be their mother!


The girls and Mike arrived and right off the bat - they went to find Granddad!


Amber, Summer, me and Ben!


Here's Jesse and Rachel - we were celebrating her birthday, too!


It was such a good day.
The Bell Boys worked on the jigsaw puzzle and I am so grateful!
They got most of the border done and I can work on it from there.
When Louis Dean is watching one of his beloved John Wayne movies, I can work the puzzle and not lose my mind! Win! WIN!!


I love it when every room in the house is busy!


The layout of my home is a figure eight....perfect for parties!


Love my Harrison!


This recipe is from a cookbook I gave Amber when she was 9 years old and she has been making it for 30 years now! Benjamin specifically requested this for his birthday dinner....along with cream cheese corn. He has ALWAYS loved corn and when we would go out to eat - we learned to eat our corn FIRST or Benjamin would ask for it!
We had an appetizer table set up and I made a watermelon, mint, cantaloupe and feta cheese salad.

I guess I didn't get pics of the desserts - a pistachio crack cake for Pam (Reaoma's daughter who is like a daughter to me now) and Key Lime Cheesecake for Rachel and Funfetti cupcakes for Benjamin.


I love having a housefull of FAMILY!!


Summer and Raynie drove in from Arkansas!
What a blessing to see them!


I can't even remember the last time I got to see Sabrina!
It was such a wonderful day!


All too soon it was time to say our goodbyes.....


Look at Harrison all so grown up!


Happy Birthday to Benjamin!!



And just like that - they were gone and they took ALL the oxygen out of the air when they left.





9 comments:

photowannabe said...

Love your ending description of all of the air being sucked out when family left. Yes that's the way it is when everything has been so wonderful.
What a birthday feast you'all had. Everyone so Loved.
Sue

Anonymous said...

What a fun party! Celebrate everything , I say, and especially birthdays!

Deanna Rabe

Ginny Hartzler said...

In your first photo of Harrison, I did not recognize him! I wondered who this man was that I had not seen before! Gosh, I remember when they were toddlers! Amber and Mike are such super duper parents. You did such a wonderful job raising all of your children! LOVING your painting of the bee & sunflower!

Anonymous said...

All.That.Yummy.Food!

Donna said...

Looks like a fun time for you all!
hugs
Donna

MadSnapper said...

I am with Ginny, Harrison is now a young man and I did not recognize him in either photo. your family is so loving and so much fun and they all got it from YOU... I am the opposite of you and my two sons are just like me, like your kids are like you.. I always enjoy your get togethers and the fun you have. wow on the bench LD built... and moving that heavy slab. Bob's knees have gotten so bad he asked me to make an appt with the doctor. we go tomorrow morning at 8:30.. finally to see why he can't walk. he is like LD and strong as a bull, but his knees stop him from walking more than a hundred feet or standing more than a few minutes.

Changes in the wind said...

Wonderful pictures of a great day!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

That was certainly a wonderful family birthday gathering, Linda. It is wonderful that your family values being together on such occasions. Louis Dean did a great job on that homemade bench. Hope the metal detector helps him find some treasures, including the wedding ring!

Susie said...

Linda, What a great time you all had for birthdays. I loved seeing all the pictures. Wow, that LD , laying a level on his bench, he is wanting perfection. I enjoy seeing that he is still able to do the things he likes. I kind of felt my heart squeeze when the family drove off and the children yell "bye". I recall when Emma would come stay with Ted and I...after she left , our house seemed empty and sad at times. We love our families, especially the children. Blessings and wishes for all, love you guys, xoxo, Susie