Wednesday, August 21, 2024

Goodness!! Just 10 Days to September First~~

The dog days of summer have been clicking on by and time seems to be getting away from me.
The intense triple digits take a toll on us and we can only come out in the mornings and late at night.
Thankfully, Louis Dean is being a good boy and staying hydrated and avoiding the heat of the day - for the most part!


Last week he did get out and used a tool Summer gave him for cleaning out the gutters.
AND he managed to get some limbs off the roof using his incredible ingenuity.
He made a tool of some kind of coated wire attached to a broom handle to rope and pull down the branches!


He's a John Wayne kind of man!
Mike's brother found this brand new book for $2 and his wife sent it to us!
This is right up his alley!
The book is all about the things you need to know to be a man!
Like how to start a fire without matches!
I read some every morning and evening to him and it is all good things to know!
Plus he loves the pics of John Wayne!
Neither one of us had ever seen his bare legs before - but NOW we have!
Thank you, Chris and Whitney, for this thoughtful gift!

Most of our days are spent at home now and life has settled down to a good pace.
We don't do a lot of running around and this has helped us find our new normal and it is a comfortable place to be. 

When we had a family celebration for Ben's birthday earlier this month, Louis Dean mentioned his lawn mower wouldn't start. Mike went right out to look at it and found the problem. 
Louis Dean had forgot that the mower required special fuel and he had used regular gasoline.
Mike ordered a part and on Saturday evening after hockey practice for the girls - they came over to visit.

I didn't take many pictures but I have them in my mind's eye.
The girls came in and we sat in the living room with me on my 'throne' aka comfy chair.
I reached out my arms and said I just want to touch you and SEE you!
They put their arms out across the footstool and we talked.
I love that!
We TALKED!
About school and lunches and all sorts of things.

Mike had gone out with Granddad to work on the lawn mower.

The girls and I moved out to the den and the three of them sat on the couch while I perched on the edge of the coffee table in front of them and we TALKED some more.
They are 12 years old and in 7th grade. They had been in school four days!
Now that they are in junior high - school doesn't start until nearly 9:00!
I told them that I am so ON for school delivery whenever they need me!
That SO beats having to be there by 7:30 IN THE MORNING!


We ended our visit working the jigsaw puzzle together.
Mike is really good at this and the girls are, too.
I used to have a puzzzle going all the time 'back in the day.'
I'm doing this again as it's good for the brain and I want to keep Louis Dean and myself 'brain active.'
He is not a big fan - YET! But he does search for the straight edges and the colors. Together we make a team!


The kids have been making their traditional goodbyes since they were old enough to say the word.
It absolutely never gets old!!

Sunday was another home day and I baked a cake.


Summer gifted me this sunflower silicone cake pan and I made a pistachio crack cake using a recipe from my blogger sister Estelle.
You can use different mixes and puddings and the combinations are ALL delicious!

My appointment at the dermatologist was wonderful - Mia loved the cake - and I included copies of the recipe - and I got an all clear report!
My Granny had a great many moles and I inheritated them from her.
I have purposed to be a good grandmother to all my grandchildren as I did NOT like my Granny.
And she didn't like me, either.
Isn't that odd? But it has motivated me to be a grandmother that loves my grandchildren and I am grateful that they love me back.

Tuesday is my favorite day of the week.
Louis Dean doesn't drive anymore - willingly - and I'm grateful for that.
I used to have to Air tag him to make sure he stayed at home when I was gone.
That was a battle I dreaded but he has graciously accepted the change.

Brenda and I hit up two Texas Thrift Stores - one in south Irving and one on Beltline in north Irving.


I'm always looking for storage things and this was a winner!
I am going to use it in the guest room.


The wreath will go in the guest room as well......


But the prayer signage is now in the dining room.


I tossed a good bit of 'tired' fall things so I am replacing them....


The beautiful table cover was spied by Brenda and she KNEW I would love it!
All of this will go in the guest room.


A square canvas is pricey so I grabbed it!
The pic below it will go in the guest room, too!


As will these!


Love this! It's in the dining room - of course!


Photos taken in triple digit heat are not real.
This yellow Chico vest is gorgeous!
And a brand new pair of Chico jeans!


Yet another pair of Chico jeans....


And a third pair! With a cool vest~


We aren't eating out much these days.
I cooked up a skillet dish - using the great new skillet Amber bought for me - with potatoes, smoked sausage, onions, garlic, carrots and cabbage.
It was really good.

Today was Louis Dean's appointment with his primary care doctor.


And it was a good one!
All was well. Vitals were perfect. He's lost 10 pounds.
All Win! WIN!!


We celebrated with a hamburger and fries at Braums for him.
A garden salad for me and a Diet Cherry Limeade.

Afterwards, we visited with Ileen and her 97 year old friend, Lester, taking them strawberry milkshakes!
Ilene is such a blessing to us and we are enjoying our visits with Lester.
His mind is still sharp as a tack and we are having a good time together.
Today we promised to make some cinnamon rolls to share with them as soon as the weather cools off!


It's been a really good week so far and the weather was only 99 degrees today.
It was like a gift!

Only 10 more days until September First!!!


14 comments:

Anonymous said...

So good to hear y'all had a good week so far. You got some great buys and you both look wonderful! ❤

Anonymous said...

❤️

Ginny Hartzler said...

Wow, you made an awesome haul! I love the signs, vest, and fall things! My GREAT grandmother did not like me and I did not like her. She lived with us and I was just a pest to her. Your cake is gorgeous. The very best times with our grandkids are when we just sit and TALK! I love those times because I get to know them even better, and the things they are going through at the time. Like one of them told me she was being bullied at school. I could share with her that I was,too. And to this day still have dreams about it.

Anonymous said...

You are beautiful and he is handsome. Brenda

Pamela M. Steiner said...

So many beautiful signs and new items for your "guest room"! I wish I could be a "guest" and stay in your special sanctuary for your guests! It must be a lovely place. Have you posted any pictures of it? I'd love to see it. My guest room is becoming a bit of a catch all place and I need to clean it out and make it more "guest-worthy" again. We haven't had any guests in it for a long time, so it is being neglected. I enjoyed your post so much. Love visiting with you and your delightful family. And yes, standing on the porch and saying "bye" to our loved ones is a tradition here, that we carried on from my parents too. It's a very special ritual that I love.
Have a blessed and wonderful day. Yes, I love that September is coming SOON!!

Estelle's said...

What a beautiful cake....marvelous presentation....and it is indeed wonderful to spend time with grandchildren and just talk...I love that! We are wishing for these triple digit temps to end....Y'ALL look wonderful!

Arlene G said...

We woke up to a cool morning....what a blessing. Fall is on its way. Of course I know summer is not over here in Alabama but I will take those good days. So glad you and LD are content with a new normal. And those girls....hard to believe they are in the 7th grade. I always enjoyed reading about your quad days when they were toddlers. Kendall is off to college...which is unbelievable to me. She is only two hours away which is nice. Enjoy your countdown to September Linda. We will be traveling and we get home on Sept 1st. I will be thinking of you.

MadSnapper said...

it hard to believe the quads are Jr. High and can talk with you like audults. how quickly that happened. agree with Ginny, that is a super great haul. the 3 drawer storage I could use, and my docotors office has 5 people at their front desk which is in a circle. each of them has one like yours with a small printer on top and all their things they need in the drawers, I just noticed it yesterday and don't know if they are new or I just never noticed.
yay for 10 lbs down for LD and he always has that beautiful smile on his face.
Sept and you and I a year older is looming. 2 weeks for me and a few more for you. so glad he gave up the driving and the desire to and that you have found a routine

Changes in the wind said...

Always great to read your post and how you are coping in style!

Debbie said...

that john wayne book is perfect for ld, although he is one of the most perfect men i know. (that's what i call a spaghetti sentence, it's all twisted but there is no way to make it straight after it has been said). i LOVE puzzles and the rest of the family does not...i always say i could use a couple of kids to puzzle with!! the sunflower cake looks awesome!! you are a very sweet, busy bee!!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I'm surviving my first summer in Texas here. We always have a nice breeze blowing on the porch I love to sit on. But you are right, early morning and late evening are the best times to be outside. I sit out all day and go inside to cool off when it becomes too much for me. I love all the sunshine and blue skies we've been having. Back home in Ohio we didn't get many of them. More cloudy days than not there. Hope you enjoy the end of summer. Love, ma

photowannabe said...

I am so happy to hear that this has been a good week for both of you. The new slower pace looks good on you!!
What treasures you find at the Thrift Stores. That vest and jeans are super finds. September is a-comin'.
We have been working in our yard a bit too, when it isn't so hot. That jungle will forever be our bane. Trying to get a handle on it before the season changes and we get some rain.
Sue

Chatty Crone said...

You sound like you stay at home a lot - but my oh my I feel like you are going out all the time.
I noticed his weight loss - good for him and that he still likes to work and fix things. And how nice your grandson is to help him.
Love it too when young people talk instead of using their phones.
Good dermatologist appt.
I made sausage the other night too.
I love your pistachio crack cake - it looked so good.
And lastly you got some great deals on the clothes.

Wanda said...

Oh Linda, you are so good at "adaping" to the changes in your lifestyle. Always looking foreward and not the rearview mirror. We are learning that too. I was a little nervous about seeing LD on the ladder, but he wasn't going up too high! I think Texas must have the best thrift stores in the world, or you are just have an eye to see things other don't.
I'm excited about September as Saturday 8/31 our kids are coming over to clean out my storage unit, which looks like "Fiber McKee's closet" Are you old enough to remember that!!
I will be able to get my Fall decoration out and put a few splashes of Fall in our home. Mainly we need to pull out boxes and bins that have been in there 10 yrs and see what we have been hording...haha.
So glad LD and you both had good Dr. reports. Don had a good pacer check visit yesterday.
Sending love, hugs and prayers.