Sunday, February 9, 2020

Book Fair Set up and Preview and Rest and Recover Weekend


Thursday and Friday were Preview Days for this year's Scholastic Book Fair and this is the third book fair I have been a volunteer worker and the second book fair where Amber has been the coordinator.


Every year just gets better and better!


I arrived Thursday morning at 10:00 but Amber had already put in a couple of full work days getting the tables set up and the books unpacked and displayed.


Everything she does is first class and it has paid off in all the excitement of the students!


The Scholastic Book Fair provides some decorations but Amber went a step further and found lots of cool and inexpensive ways to pump up the Jungle theme on Amazon.
The balloon arch is so much fun and adds a special fun feel to it all!
I tried my hand at filling those balloons up with the pump and that didn't work out too well!
One of the volunteer moms is a pro at it and made it look so easy!
She and Amber knocked that job out in record time.

So the classes had a scheduled preview visit to the book fair where each student was given a clipboard, pencil and a 'wish list' they could fill out and take home to their parents.
Half the classes came on Thursday and then after school, Amber hosted a Teachers Reception and Preview.


She had a great spread of snacks!
Cheese and crackers, three different kinds of mini scones, veggies and ranch, and more.


I said it was just like a cocktail party without the wine!
Everyone had a great time....it was relaxed and friendly and the teachers were able to fill out THEIR very own Wish Lists! 


Amber and Mike make a great team.
He helped by putting up signs and doing the heavier things.


I had a fun time working with my daughter and serving at the reception.


One of the perks of working the book fair is getting to see the grands!
I loved getting to eat lunch with them and the hugs they gave me after they would run into the library when school let out!

That was my Thursday!
I stayed home on Wednesday because there was a possibility of ice and/or snowy weather.
That didn't happen in Irving.......


but Thursday morning the ranch looked like this!
See the wild peacock up on top of the coop? He's still hanging out down there!


I have never seen snow there before.
Ice, yes. Once.


Lake Toguchi!
Aka - the big tank.


The meadow.....one of my most favorite places!

Friday was the second preview day and, once again, I arrived at 10:00!


After the last students came to preview - Amber  set the table up with the rest of the book fair offerings.


It was a good day and by the time we left, everything was all ready to open up for business!


The book fair was open on Saturday from noon to 2:00 and did a phenomenal amount of sales!

I took the weekend off to rest and recover.
I came home Friday afternoon and was in my nightgown tucked in bed with the sound machine on and the oil diffuser misting by 5:00! I stayed in bed until 7:00 and ate the steak dinner Louis Dean made for us and then went right back to bed.

I spent all of Saturday in the den puttering around when I wasn't lying on the couch watching movies.
And I watche not one.....not two ....but THREE movies in a row!
Fool's Gold, Two Weeks Notice and Central Intelligence.
All three light hearted comedies and just perfect for my Saturday.

I took today off, too.
No pain anymore but I still get so tired even when I do very little.
I do my exercises and take plenty of rests.
Louis Dean has been doing at least half of the cooking.
I made oatmeal, biscuits and bacon for our Sunday lunch.

While we haven't watched the Academy Awards in years, I popped some popcorn and fixed me a big Diet Coke and turned them on......then paused it to give us some time to run through the commercials or any parts we weren't interested in. So far it's been entertaining.....

Tomorrow begins four days of book fair and I will be the cashier!
I haven't been out and about for four days in a row since my surgery which is why I took the weekend to rest up. I'm looking forward to it and have already laid out my clothes for school in the morning that will go with the special Jungle theme apron I get to wear!



20 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

The book fair looks awesome! And you are looking so good! Very pretty and healthy! The ranch looks beautiful With the snow, I bet you are glad you are not there right now.

Deb J. in Utah said...

I remember volunteering at book fairs when my kids were younger. They were always lots of fun. Glad you had a good weekend. Have a good week and I will see you again soon!

Wanda said...

What a fun book fair. You do so much for so many and even when you are healing from your own surgery. Love your spirit and spunk!

Bluebird49 said...

The book fair looked amazing and so did the Bell family and you! You're some else! Take care!!

Joyce F in kansas said...

Just had to tell you this. I had hip replacement a couple days ago. 2 a.m. I am reading blogs. Hubby comes in in his skivies to put on new ice pack. Says who is that on screen. I handed him the Kindle fire and he scrolled through post. Said "She looks like a movie star"

Kathy said...

I used to love Scholastic books. We never had a book fair though. What fun. So glad you feel well enough to be a part of it. Don't overdo it though. Glad you took the weekend off.

Vee said...

How I loved book fairs as a child. You and Amber are the perfect hostesses for such an event. I can tell how very special she made it for everyone!

Snow at the ranch...it looks pretty wearing white. We are getting snow here today,,,a surprise snow...at least, Accuweather didn’t know about it. Kind of puts a kink in my treatment plans because I don’t drive in the stuff on purpose anymore.

You keep taking good care of yourself and you’ll be back up to speed in plenty of time for spring.

Changes in the wind said...

I know how proud you are of Amber and with good reason...she is awesome! If that book fair doesn't inspire some kids to read I sure don't know what will. It is good that you are pacing yourself and letting you knee heal well. Love that balloon arc picture.

Arlene G said...

Amber is an amazing woman but then she IS your daughter, Linda. I know the school is glad to have a mom who goes above and beyond. Have fun at school today being the cashier. There was a bit of snow at Grimmwood but it did not last long. Here in Alabama it is raining AGAIN. I hate to complain but I need some sunshine.

Deanna Rabe said...

The school book fair was one of the highlights of the school year for me in elementary school! I've always loved books and reading!

Amber has done a phenomenal job! Enjoy your time working the fair. I hope as cashier you can sit down a lot! I think you'll be going to bed early the next few days, but what fun you'll have!

Linda said...

Dear Joyce! You made my day! God bless you as you recover from your surgery. I have a card all ready to mail and just looked in my address book and I can’t find you! I’m hoping if you see this note, please send me an email with your address please. I’m at lid1948@yahoo.com.

MadSnapper said...

the book fair looks fantasic, awesome even!! I love the entrance, the one with the giraffle and zebra. makes me feel happy looking at it and the tables are so festive. hope you get lots and lots of money and don't get to tired. wow on the farm snow...

MadSnapper said...

forgot to say. Amber and Mike are and awesome twosome!!!!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Book fairs are such a lot of fun. I remember the days my children used to bring home their treasures. The volunteers like you and your daughter are to be applauded fro all the work they do. Anything promoting books and reading is so good for our children. Glad you got a waken to rest in-between. It docent take much to tire nee out these days so I can

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I can relate to how you're feeling.

photowannabe said...

I do love Book Fairs and remember them from when my boys were in school. A lot of books made their way to our home because of them.
I'm so glad you are pacing yourself.
Paying attention to your body is the best way to completely heal.
Love you in the gorgeous red shirt too. It's definitely your color.
Thank you and May your week be filled with Good Thoughts and Kind People too.
Sue

Jan said...

Amber is so talented and I know the teachers there appreciate her so much! I'll bet the grands love having you there working at the book fair!

Debbie said...

Wow! I am impressed with all of the decorating done for the book fair! It looks amazing, Linda! So glad to hear you could get out and have some fun.
You look beautiful! Enjoyed your pictures of the property, too.
Have a nice week.
Debbie
xo

Susie said...

Linda, I loved seeing this post. I miss the book fair days with all my grands. Once they are in 5th grade, grandparents day would end , thus no book fairs for them either. It was so sweet how Amber did the fair. She has your decorating skills. Glad you rested also. Ted and I had the longest day yesterday. Went to two hospitals for chemo treatment at one and the start of his baby shots, at the other. Today, I stayed home to haul up wood and fill the box before snow and rain . This afternoon I see the eye dr. Oh how I would love a vacation. LOL Blessings,Praying for all of you. LOve, xoxo, Susie

Carole said...

Would love to have gone to the fair - as you know I'm doing a series of posts about kid's books - such fun! Cheers