Sunday, July 9, 2023

Snapshots of our Country Days....

I am loving my time here in the country!
Yes, it is hot and we have to be smart in when we go outside -even into the front room which can be close to 100 degrees. It's best to stay inside the camper which hovers around 80 degrees in the heat of the day.

The camper is pretty much airtight but the front room is like camping in style!


I was preparing breakfast the other morning and this spider was watching my every move.
Most spiders are good ones but I really don't know the difference - so I just use a flyswatter to relocate them.


Louis Dean managed to bend his mower blade and son Dean took it off and straightened it out and even sharpened it for him! I told LD that he gets only ONE new lawnmower a year!
So far - thanks to son Dean - he can continue to use this one!


The sunflowers are still blooming but the abundant wildflowers that were here when Linda and I visited on June 16th are gone! All of our roses are doing well and Louis Dean is weeding that bed and will be putting cedar bark mulch down tomorrow.


We are in our happy place and found a porch to swing in!


Cooking here is not as easy as it is at home so I was happy to find cooked spaghetti and a bottle of meat sauce in the freezer.
Louis Dean is always looking for projects and he decided to defrost the freezer that sits on our front deck!


I added a garden salad and garlic toast and it was a good meal with honeydew melon for dessert!


I've been spending time whacking up denim and watching movies on Amazon Prime.
I think I may can watch Netflix on my laptop and will try that tomorrow.


Dean and Sherry loaned us the Lonesome Dove DVDs and I am loving them!
I bought popcorn at HEB on our way in and thought this would be a perfect way to spend the hottest part of the days watching the series.
Louis Dean says it's 'okay' and I am thinking if the movie doesn't have John Wayne in it - he's not at all excited!  I am still going to watch it and he can join me or not!

Keeping him hydrated and out of the sun is a big job and makes me want to turn around and go back home....except I don't want to leave.

 

Louis Dean loves to wash his clothes by hand and even his shoes!


I love the smell of Fabuloso and that's what he used!

Saturday morning Sherry, Dean and I were up early and out in the apiary shortly after 8:00 to do hive inspections. We fully expected to see supers full of drawn honey!
Instead we found empty frames and loads of small hive beetles who have stolen all of our spring honey!
Those small hive beetles eat EVERYTHING!! 
From pollen to brood to honey and even dead adult bees and comb!

The 'other' Linda Chapman, Sherry and I inspected the hives on June 16th and all was well.
It looked like we would get a good honey harvest.

We have never seen so many SHB as we saw on Saturday!
The good thing is we saved the bees because if we hadn't done the inspection, the beetles would have overwhelmed the bees by this coming weekend and we could have lost all of them because if there are SO MANY that the bees can't deal with - they will leave and take up residence someplace else.

So, while we are sad about not getting a honey harvest for the second year in a row - we are happy  that we saved our hives by putting beetle traps in each and every box - supers and brood boxes!

The bees will now be able to keep control of the beetles and we will be inspecting the hives again soon to make sure the traps are working.

We always suit up when we work in the apiary.....but I have read how beneficial bee stings can be to those who suffer from arthritis and my hands -especially my right one has been causing me some significant pain lately - so I chose to NOT wear my gloves in the hopes of a honeybee stinging my hand. And one did! However, it didn't just sting me - but it got STUCK in my hand and couldn't get out! Sherry had to pull the bee off of me and it left the stinger behind so she had to pull that out, too!


Bottom line - that sting did NOT help my arthritis one bit but only added to my pain.
It swelled up and continued to swell up my arm.


Sherry brought down some baking soda and I had white vinegar to make a poultice and put that on my sting. It helped and added with the Benadryl she gave me, the swelling went down a bit!

I went to bed at 10:00 Saturday night and got up at 10:00 Sunday morning.


This is our one frame of honey and it is a good one.



A jar for Sherry and a jar for me and part of a jar to keep for taste testing in the future.
I will strain the wax out when I get home.

Louis Dean is up and doing projects by the time I wake up in the mornings.

We have an extra freezer for the waxed bee frames on our North deck - and he decided he wanted to move it  to the other side of the door which he did and was working on rewiring a new outlet when I woke up this morning!

Goodness! He does things when I'm not looking and this involved electricity to our refrigerator!

As I close tonight's journal entry, he is still out there working to finish up his project!


We have lots of spiders and I saw the tiniest black hummingbird I have ever seen right through the bathroom window, I was spellbound and my phone was in the camper so I couldn't get a pic.

We are in the COUNTRY so there's all manner of critters around.


Tarzan is a brother to Samantha and Tabitha and he seems to love us!

I feed him morning and night and he is definitely an outdoor cat with hard muscles and used to taking care of himself

 

But I love how he is such a lap cat!!

This is a Hodge podge of our days here!
Tomorrow we are going to 'town' and when we come back I hope to watch a few episodes of Lonesome Dove during the heat of the day.

Right now it is 8:47  and I am going to publish and then go out and water my pumpkin patch.
I am so close to giving up on growing anything this year!




12 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

I love your dress. So sorry about the poor bees!! I have arachnophobia, so I would be screaming while running at the sight of every spider. I love the country, but I think the bugs would drive me insane. I can just picture you calmly removing that huge spider with the swatter, and relocating him. One of our pastors had bad arthritis in his hand, and he got bee sting therapy, and it worked really well!! Maybe you have to know what part of your hand to sting?

Deb J. in Utah said...

So sorry about what happened to your honey. I am learning a lot about beekeeping by reading your blog. So sorry that you got stung and that you had such a bad reaction. I had not ever heard of bee stings as a treatment for arthritis. I love how you and L.D. enjoy your time in the country and all stay busy with fun and interesting projects. Have a good week. Stay cool. See you again soon!

Unknown said...

Bummer about those hive beetles stealing all your honey. What a disappointment. At least you managed to get some honey, a little is better than none. Sorry about the painful bee sting. Ouch! I hope your hand is feeling better and the swelling is going down. Those spiders are scary looking. if I saw those things I'd be outta there quicker than a shot. You're braver than I am.

Anonymous said...

We love Lonesome Dove!
I am so sorry about the honey situation and the bee sting!
I will never have to worry about Ed working electricity or freezers! 🤔
Sending you two lots of love!, Trudy

Linda said...

Linda, I also have arthritis in my hands and thanks to an Amish friend have found Factor 5 (available on Amazon or in health food stores). It's five anti-inflammatory herbs are in capsule form. It's been life changing for me and my friends who are taking it now. Much easier than being stung by bees.

Deanna Rabe said...

Your spider looks like a garden spider. I'm not a fan of any spider, but these eat pests in the garden.

I'm sorry about the honey, but so glad you all saved the bees! Wow! About your sting, if you google the plant plantain (not the banana type) you can see if you have any there at the ranch. It grows everywhere! The leaves are great for stings and cuts! Takes the throbbing pain right away!

MadSnapper said...

i think Lonesome Dove all seasons are on demand, will check it out. for me, not for bob. bob now doesnt care for many of the movies that he used to like, makes it hard to find something we can watch together. so sorry about your honey. hope the hand is better by now. that first spider is what I call jumping spider and they get smashed by the swatter when one appears and they are always in MY bathroom. terriyed of them, i make bob swat it. glad to hear you are staying indoors in the middle of the day, it is killer heat there and here

Changes in the wind said...

So sorry about the hives, you worked so hard only to have bettles steal away the honey.

photowannabe said...

I am so sorry about your bees and the honey. Glad you caught it though.
Oh my your poor hand. I hope its a lot better now. Please be careful and stay out of the heat for both of your sakes.
I think my favorite photos are of Louis Dean's laundry hanging. They are actually "paint" worthy. I can see the paintings framed and in your laundry room.
Ugh on the spiders!!!
Enjoy the rest of your time at the ranch.
Sue

Pamela M. Steiner said...

That was too bad about the bees and the beetles, honey, etc., and also ouch on the bee sting that didn't go as planned! Glad you had some benadryl to take. Sounds like you needed it. I hope your arthritis will get better some other way! Sounds like you are having a good time. It's so nice to have a place to get away to like that. That's always been my dream to have a "cabin" in the woods or mountains or anyplace as a vacation home. My only thing is I would not want to leave it to go back home. LOL. Have a great time and take care of yourselves. Try to stay cool!!!

Susie said...

Oh I like spiders to be outside and no where near where I want to sit. I would have probably flattened those. Oww your hand looked so painful. That is so bad what happened to the hives. So many things to be aware of in the bee business. Good ole working man LD...even doing laundry. LOL. Gotta love that man, Linda. Please take care fo one another. Blessings, xoxo, love you guys, Susie

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I loved seeing all your photos. It looks like you are in your happy place for sure! Glad all is going well even in the heat there.