Monday, July 24, 2023

It's Been a Busy Week!

It's still hot in Texas but, then again, I think it must be hot everywhere!
 

Tabitha seems to have been under the weather lately as I seldom saw her this week!


Samantha is the more energetic of the two and she's always roaming around and seeing what she can get into. As in watching the news and weather on Spectrum TV!


They don't try to sneak outside like they used to do.


They seem to know it is too hot for comfort out there!

Thursday I met Brenda up at Aldi's and then she went with me to Perkins Jewelers here in Irving.
I have not found my wedding band - so I just have the engagement ring.
However, I happen to have another set from 1988 from my then husband on our 25th anniversary.
I showed them  to Louis Dean and he said they are beautiful - and diamonds are diamonds - so I took them to be resized!

When I called the jewelry store and told het my finger was too big now she laughed and said, "No! Jewelry shrinks!"
They will be ready next Friday. 

I came back to the house to pick Louis Dean up to do more errands.
That's one way to keep him from going outside - I take him with me!


We stopped at West Filters and AC Supplies
My friend, Debbie and her husband own the business and I had made cookies for her grandsons.
She said 'someone' had left a package for me - that 'someone' was her mother aka The Bag Lady!


This is the Bee Bag she gave me a couple of weeks ago....


and this is the apron she left for me that day!


I love the way it's made and so pretty I wore it as a smock the rest of the day!
You can find Judy on Facebook as The Bag Lady!

I had made a batch of sugar cookies and some brownies earlier that morning so from there we went over to visit Kimmy and June.


June is always cold now - even as hot as it is - but with the AC on I snuggled right up with her


We came home and started working on the front porch!
The new decking had to be painted so we added a fresh coat to the other areas.

Friday morning I fixed Louis Dean some strawberry yogurt with fresh fruit and a toasted bagel.


I try to feed him healthy meals but he doesn't eat nearly as much as he used to!
And he's getting skinnier!
Why doesn't that happen  to ME???


Kimmy gave me this handy strawberry keeper and it does a good job keeping them fresh!

I've stayed busy painting - trying to finish up all the canvases I started this summer.....


....and I 've been sewing!
A quilt top for my brother in law using all the work shirts from his plumbing company.
He gave them to me after he sold the business and retired.
I've had the shirts for 2-3 years and I mean to have this quilt done for his birthday in August!


I've also been cooking.
Every time I cook a main dish, I package some in for the freezer to take over to Nita's Mike.

Saturday we worked hard all day long - first on the porch and watering everything and cleaning and cleaning the air filter on the AC and first one thing and then another!
I got too tired and too hot and just had to stop!
I also dripped big globs of paint in my hair (painting the ceiling of the porch) and that was a mess!
Just as we were finishing up the watering, Louis Dean came to find me and said, "Could I tell you something without you getting all bent out of shape?"
Turns out, he had lost his balance and fell into a rose bush, scratching up his face!
His feet give him problems with being numb and then tingly and he says he feels like he's walking on water - that's the way he describes it.
He has appointments with two of his doctors next month and I will ask about this.

This morning (Sunday) Louis Dean was up first and I could hear gospel music playing - even though I had ear plugs in, window AC, ceiling fan AND sound machine on!
Normally he doesn't remember what day of the week it is but today he knew it was Sunday!!
He was even all dressed for church!

We went to church and met up with the Bells.
I'm so grateful for Fellowship Church.
Billy saw us after church and we all stood around and visited for a good while.
Kailey was concerned when she saw the scratches on her granddad's face!
Glad it had healed up some or she would have been upset!

After church we went to Home Depot to get a can of trim paint for the front door.
They found the 'recipe' for Fudge Bar when I told them the name of the paint color and made it up for me.

Louis Dean had two Rigid batteries with life time warranties and a battery charger that wouldn't charge. Alas, even after he spoke to the store manager, they would not honor the warranty but said he would have to go through Rigid to get them replaced.  


He was NOT a happy camper!


I was, though!!
They had their outdoor cushions on sale for 50% off!!!

Louis Dean wanted to go to the other Home Depot before we came home and they DID honor the life time warranties! He felt a lot better but he was miffed at the manager not doing that at the North Irving store. He used to work at that one.

We finally put the finishing touches on the front porch tonight and it looks so pretty!
I've always wanted a curtain on my porch and am contemplating how to do that.
Louis Dean assures me he can make it happen.


We'll see.

I'll close tonight's journal entry with pics Amber sent me from Saturday night.

Every summer for the last several years, Amber has had one on one cooking time with each child.

This is what she said about it.....

"Every summer, the kids each take a turn getting to plan out an entire meal on their own, then I take them to the store for whatever they need and we cook their dinner together. just us two.
Have been doing it for years now.
Got a late start this summer but Trystan was first to go and made her dinner last night.
She made garlic dill chicken, homemade pesto pasta, roasted broccoli, garlic bread, and dessert was chocolate mousse and whipped cream - all from scratch. So good and she did such a great job!"



Here she is preparing the dill chicken.....


She plated it so pretty!


Dessert!


I love how Amber does these special things.
She is such a good mommy!!

I had planned on vacuuming the kitchen and mopping the floor - but I think I will just go right to bed!


38 days until  September First!!


10 comments:

Donna said...

First of all, I like the new background and header! Feels like Fall in here!
Love the kitties...and your apro, so sweet of your friend!
LD fell into a rose bush? Omg! How awful for him...I know that had to hurt!
The yogurt and fruit looks delicious...and I have one of those keepers for onions...they work great.
I wish I'd thought to save our plumbers shirts for a quilt! There might be enough up at the shop, left over from the techs...I'll need to check!
Good Mom! I love that your Amber cooks with her children!
Have a super week, Linda!
hugs
Donna

MadSnapper said...

i always knew i was a lousy mom,and the more I read of Amber and you as moms, the more I know how lousy i was. good news is its to late to change. ha ha... so sorry about the scratced face. the apron and bag are so cute.

Ann said...

Love that apron.
Yikes on the falling into a rose bush. Glad he wasn't hurt too seriously. I'm chuckling over him asking if he can tell you something without you getting all bent out of shape. Sounds like a guy...lol
Your porch looks wonderful, very inviting. I've always liked the looks of those little lights.

Deanna Rabe said...

It's hard to work in the heat! I don't blame you for being done! Poor LD! I'm glad he wasn't seriously injured.

You are such a loving person, and it's no wonder you are loved in return. That apron is darling!

I love that you go to church with your family. My parents go to a different church, and many Sundays now they watch at home. I'm glad we go to church with our kids and grands.

Ginny Hartzler said...

Trystan is amazing! I just have to say that I could never in a million years cook that many things at once!!! You look so pretty and cool in the apron outfit! I could not even tell it is an apron! Seems like Louis Dean has neuropathy! It is common in those our age. I have never had any luck with Home Depot. And they never have what I want. So I am very glad there is a Lowe's right across the street. Of course, the Home Depot's in Texas are probably a whole different thing!

Debby said...

I had to smile when you described what Louis Dean said to you before he told you about falling. Sounds like my husband. He was fortunate he wasn't hurt more. I hear of men all the time, falling off ladders. It can happen at any age. The new apron is adorable, and Trystan's meal looked very good. Maybe we'll see her on Masterchef Junior one day.

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Oh, that meal sure looks delicious that Trystan cooked from start to finish. Wow! I wish she would come here and cook for us! LOL. Yes, Amber is a very amazing woman to manage her home like she does with such a unique family! God knew who to send those sweet babies to! I enjoyed all your pictures and stories. LD's yogurt and fruit looks so good. That's what I try to eat almost every day, when I have some good fresh fruit. I also add some granola cereal on top. Your front porch looks fantastic! You have such a flair for decorating! I've gotten really lazy about decorating lately. I do better in the fall and winter than I do in the summer. It's just too hot to bother. Love the adorable apron and the bag. The "bag lady" is very gifted! And you are blessed to be one of her friends! Thank you for bringing us up to date on all your happenings. This was lovely. Take care and stay cool.

photowannabe said...

You are truly Blessed. You have such a wonderful family and even though your sweet Hubby keeps you on your toes, he's a real keeper!!
My goodness, Tristan is quite the cook and all from scratch. Lessons that will make her self reliant always.
Glad LD wasn't seriously hurt and hope you can get him help from his upcoming Dr. appt.
Fixing pot roast in the crock pot and the house is beginning to smell delicious. Hope it tastes as good as it smells.
Sue

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Wow, that's a very impressive dinner Trystan made.
Does the rest of the family get to have some of it too?

BeachGypsy said...

Enjoying catching up with what all you and Louis Dean have been up to! Staying cool and hydrated I hope? I think it's even hotter where y'all are than here. I love summer, but am ready for some cool weather!! Home Depot should've honored that battery deal, I think!! love your cute apron and seeing the pretty kitties. Hungry after seeing the good food on this post! Have a great week!! take care