Friday, June 19, 2020

We're on COUNTRY Time!

We left home Thursday evening about 5:30 headed for the ranch.
It was a late start but we had a lot to do before we could leave.
Like fill all our medicine boxes up which required a trip to Walgreen's.
I put on a Homestead Rescue to watch while I was doing them. It takes so long!
Then we had to water the front and back and gather up any almost ripe tomatoes to bring with us.
Finally, we were on the road and made really good time until we hit Waxahachie where there was an accident right there where the roadwork has closed traffic down to one lane. So traffic was stuck.
We were fortunate enough to get a warning on WAZE, our direction app, and got off while we still had the opportunity.


HEB is one of my Happy Places and I went in by myself while Louis Dean stayed in the truck with the kitties. It was close to 9:00 by the time we pulled in through the gate here at the ranch.

The kittens are as good as gold and they travel well - not even making a peep!
I set up their litter box and filled bowls with food and water before letting them out of the bag.
I had a little scare when I went to the truck to get them. They weren't there!
I knew I had not heard a single sound on our way down so I nearly freaked out thinking we had left them sitting on the driveway or something!
Turns out, Louis Dean had already brought their carrier into the front room - but then he forgot that he had done that! So, for a minute he was freaking out, too!
We truly are old crazy people!


Tabitha went to explore!
I guess all kittens love Christmas trees!
How wonderful for ours that we keep one up year round!

We unloaded and put up the groceries and I made the bed with the fresh sheets I had brought back.
It will be nice when we get a washing machine hooked up down here and we don't have to take laundry home. Dean and Sherry came down for a visit. Sherry and I sat in the front room and caught up with all that's gone on since we were here last - 19 days ago, to be exact. Father and son sat on the front deck and had a beer and talked out there. Louis Dean said they enjoyed hearing us talking and laughing through the window. It's so good to be back!


This morning, Louis Dean had the coffee ready when I woke up.
Everything is a toy to a kitten! Even a house shoe!


We love watching them roll around and play!

Louis Dean has his heart set on getting the fence up this trip so he had to made a Home Depot run for some suipplies to set a couple of the posts that were a little wobbly.


He stopped and picked sunflowers for me on the way home.


And he bought a better hummingbird feeder.
The nice glass and plastic one had leaked out and was empty wwhen we got here.
I thought the wind must have blown it because the deck below it was a sticky mess.
I cleaned and refilled it and lo, and behold, it was dripping out of all the flower  feeding places.
Louis Dean said not to dump it until he gets a chance to look at it. I'm thinking he's thinking - GORILLA GLUE!!


It was a beautiful day to be in the country!
Blue skies and fluffy white clouds.


Louis Dean wanted some 'before' shots!
He is so excited about getting the fence up and a fall garden in!


This area around the trees will soon have a pond and flower garden.
He's got some good plans for our 'front yard.'


Look at the road and driveway!
Sherry did so much tractor work while we were gone.
It.is.amazing.
Remember the mud?? 
One year we were stuck in for 10 straight days.
I loved it!
Louis Dean didn't.
We could have gotten out sooner but he moved his truck back close to the camper.
Back then there were no decks and only the camper sitting in the mud.
There's been a lot of changes since then and now he loves being here nearly as much as I do.


He's been feeling better these last few weeks.
I think sleeping helps.
He's only had one sleepless night in the last 3 weeks but finally managed to fall asleep that night and slept late into the day.
I think we underestimate the importance of sleep.


Such a beautiful place!
We are so blessed by Dean and Sherry and their hospitality to us!


All those wildflowers back there are so good for the bees!


I looked down after taking that pic of the back of the property - or not really the back as it goes far beyond that tree line. Gorilla glue - again!
He uses it for so many things!


The BEE Happy rug my friend Mary Jo gave me!
And this IS my BEE Happy place!
We will be opening the hives and doing a bee check this weekend.


Our kitty cats are so awesome.
They just seem to roll with the flow.


One of their favorite places is under the table in the front room.
Oh, to have such a life!!!

Louis Dean worked hard today!
He is one happy camper tonight.
I did some writing on my book.
That's work of a different sort - but still work.
I got up from the computer where I was writing about my life in 1967 and 1968 and it took a second to adjust to the here and now.
Kind of like going to a movie and having that moment of readjusting to the current place and time when you come out.
That happened to Summer, Jesse and me in Colorado Springs back in the late 1970's.
We came out of a movie and I do so wish I could remember what movie it was!
Anyway, it was winter and we walked out to snow and all of us had completely forgotten where we were!

Wishing you all a goodnight!
We have some star gazing to do on the front deck.
It's raining at home and it may rain here later tonight.


Rain is a GOOD thing!!

19 comments:

Mummers AKA Summer said...

Rain and sleep are good things! Glad LD is getting on with his garden. He has BIG plans! Everything is getting a great soaking here in Irving. Sweet dreams!

Ginny Hartzler said...

My favorite thing here today is these gorgeous yellow plates and bowls!! Wow, they are so beautiful!! Your kitties are cuter and more playful than ever! And I love your cute bee mat.

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

Hi Linda - great that you are back on the ranch - and those kittens are so happy !
Hugs.
Joy

MadSnapper said...

It's a good idea to teach the kitties to ride while their babies and then they'll always ride and you can take him back and forth I wondered what you were going to do with them when you went to the country now I know they will be traveling just like you do! I'm so glad you're back at the country I like seeing all the beauty that you see there and hearing the details of what you do and don't do.

Vee said...

Lots of good news contained in this post. So nice to learn that Louis Dean is feeling ever so much better. I always get excited when I discover that what I thought was my "new normal" isn't after all. One can feel much better after a time of feeling off.

The kittens are darling and I know that they give you lots of chuckles and, hopefully, lots of cuddles as well.

Happy days to you at the ranch!

Changes in the wind said...

Glad you are back at the ranch, your happy place. Such pretty blue skies and can just imagine the quiet. You snap the best pictures of those kittens.

Susie said...

Linda, I love the blue skies and puffy clouds. I know you love the ranch. It will be fun for you and Sherry to work with the bees. Those kittens are a joy to watch. Blessings, xoxo, Susie
p.s. Every time I see LD working , I start singing Merle Haggard's Working Man Blues. LOL .

Sandi said...

Sweet kittens!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Glad you could get back to your happy place. Remind Louis Dean to drink plenty of water when working out there in the hot summer days. Glad the kittens travel well and adapt to their other home so well. I'm sure its a sign of how loved they are. Will be looking forward to see what you get up to there. Seems there is never a dull day for you or for me. We keep busy doing what we love. Happy first day of Summer. Relax and enjoy!

jackie said...

someone might need a new pair of sneakers!!!

Hootin Anni said...

Bud was born in Colorado springs! Pretty city. Anyway, to start: those kitties...they have a second home!! I'd love to see them by the Christmas tree! And I'm glad to see all the beauty that surrounds you Linda. Beauty in country & beauty of life!! And, one more thing...thanks for the concern (your comment at my bird photo blog), but I'm just fine. The weather keeps me indoors if I don't get out before 10 am. I've been working in our yard as you can see on Hiitin' Anni's with my flowers.

Hootin Anni said...

Ps ... happy father's day to L D

Hootin Anni said...

Pss...loved seeing the bouquet too

photowannabe said...

There is nothing like being in your Happy Place...you do sound happy and LD is happy too. So glad he is getting his sleep and feeling like working.
Love the bee rug too.
Great song at the end. Made me feel happy.
Sue

Carole said...

Have a lovely time in the country. Stay safe too

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Louis Dean sounds like he has a ton of energy That's wonderful.
How come you keep your Christmas tree up all year?
Love the song at the end. Had my toes tapping.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Nice to see and read about your trip back to your hapy place, Linda. And nice that the kittens travel well and also like their ranch home. You are so right about the value of sleep and if I could only learn to nap in the afternoon as you and LD do and my husband as well. The bee rug is so cheerful.

Deanna Rabe said...

Have fun! Glad you’re working on your book again!

Buttercup said...

I'd love to be star gazing, too! I always enjoy your pictures and the landscapes make me feel as though I'm on a vacation. Thanks and thanks for your visits.