Sunday, April 19, 2020

Dessert for Breakfast and Our Gazebo all Dressed Up!!

We have enjoyed the pound cake I made earlier this week and I have kept it in the fridge so it wouldn't spoil as we have been eating just a thin slice every day.


Today I cut up the last of it and served it for breakfast (at noon) with fresh fruit and whipped cream!


I cut some fresh herbs from my garden and put a few chicken breasts in the slow cooker.
Smelled like spring!



Louis Dean went to work 'peeling' pecans in the gazebo.
I don't let him do that in the house anymore!
Those shells go flying all  over the place.
While he worked out there -


I was working in the sewing room just across from him.
I had to drag the ironing board out again since my patriotic fabric was so wrinkled it made it too hard to cut out the masks without ironing it first.


I sewed these for my sister, Luann.


She came over to pick them up and we had a nice visit on the front porch - six feet away from each other. She brought me a Battenburg white lace coverlet she found at an estate sale!
It is beautiful! I'm thinking about using it for a tablecloth on the dining room table when I redo it on Monday.

Once Louis Dean had shelled all the pecans - he went out to the den to watch TV while I proceeded to blow out the gazebo and clean it all up!


I used all my patriotic decorations out here instead of scattering them through different rooms.



I like it!


It may be this 'war' on the Covid 19 virus, but it felt good to bring out all the red, white and blue.


I pitched some things and still have one tub of stuff I didn't use.


It's a comfy extra 'room' and we spend a lot of time out here.


It came up a shower in the late afternoon and all the honeysuckle scented the air.
I closed up two sides with the wind curtains just in case more rain comes.


It's fun to see things Amber and Benjamin made so long ago.


After it was all cleaned up, Louis Dean and I sat out here to visit while I turned the masks I had sewn inside out.


And since we skipped supper - we had banana splits for dessert!

I ended up putting the cooked chicken in the fridge so we will have a good meal tomorrow.
Then I went in and finished organizing my sewing basket full of  masks supplies.
I have another list to make tomorrow and then some for us and Dean and Sherry.
I need to get these done soon and then clean up the house and prepare to leave for the country.


I've been watching Home Fires while doing all this sewing and just finished the second and final season tonight. The story wasn't over but the show was cancelled. 
Simon Block is going to continue it, however, by writing four more novels.
I'm going to have to find something else to watch on my laptop for the next two days of sewing!
I have Amazon Prime so that's where I go to find things.
Good programs and good books aren't always easy to come by.


I close tonight's journal entry with this.......
May God bless America and help us as we find our way to a new normal......as least for a little while before this is all behind us.
Today was the worst day yet for Dallas County.
134 new cases reported with 5 deaths.
And they say we haven't peaked yet......



God will see us through this.

18 comments:

Vee said...

Yes, God will see us through. The gazebo has always been a delightful extra, outdoor room, though it is looking especially fine wearing its patriotic theme. Bet you can't wait to get down to the ranch where the bees will keep you entertained. 🐝

Kathy said...

I love your patriotic gazebo. I keep thinking about getting one, but it would take up my entire yard. God will see us through this virus definitely. We don't understand entirely why this happened, but He does have His plan in it. Tell Louis Dean I said good job with shelling the pecans. I wouldn't have that much patience.

Changes in the wind said...

LD is a patient man to shell all those pecans:) The gazebo is all decked out now and ready for the 4th of July. It always amazes me how you and LD have no routine with eating and sleeping. My hubby and I eat and sleep at the same time every day like clock work.

MadSnapper said...

we are still 3 weeks from the peak, and now there is a nursing home, that 30 people have it.. the virus is here to stay, we just have to figure out how to live until they can find a vaccine.. you are all ready for the 4th of July and I hope we will be open by then.... cute little uncle sam flower pot sculpture

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

May God Bless American and help us all get through this. It's a good time to put up the red white and blue. I've seen so any good things come out of this time of working together. I've always been around to be an American and never more so than now. Usually I put up the American decorations starting Memorial Day and go through Labor Day, but I like your idea of starting earlier.

jujupage1 said...

It seems like my sister has been following the same designs for her face masks as yours! She's been using the sewing machine a lot to make them. What a coincidence.💜😂

There are 120,067 cases in the UK and 16,060 deaths. It certainly is scary times and I feel sorry for America but I am wishing you all the best. We can do this, as the Queen says!😂

Ginny Hartzler said...

Your breakfast was still very healthy! And your masks are just lovely! I never thought I would be thinking a mask is pretty, but this is the time of Covid. Our deaths are still going way up, too. We are definitely not ready to open back up any time soon. When are you leaving for the Ranch? Your gazebo is adorable!! It is like being in a patriotic festival.

Arlene G said...

Your gazebo is so cheery and bright. It lifted my spirits this afternoon. We leave in the morning for Grimmwood. Yall stay well at the Ranch!! Happy Trails to You!

Carole said...

You are so industrious - a busy bee indeed. Stay safe

Nancy Chan said...

I like how you decorate your gazebo. So bright and cheerful. Great that you are keeping yourself busy. Stay safe and healthy.

Buttercup said...

Love the masks you've made. I've been wearing a mask every day and have gotten a great appreciation for masks. So enjoy seeing your photographs. I feel like I'm on vacation and that's a treat. Thanks!

Debbie said...

i would put ld outside to peal those pecans, that surely can be messy!!!

the gazebo area looks great, i really like it all dressed in red, white and blue!!

making those masks must feel very rewarding, i like your sewing room!! i love a really good banana split! take care linda and id, stay safe and stay happy!!!

The Feminine Energy said...

I love your patriotic themed decorations, my friend. Yes, it seems very appropriate at this time in our nation's history, doesn't it. Our county here in Indiana hasn't peaked either. A correctional facility a couple towns over has been hit particularly hard... and the cases are still climbing. Lots of reasons to pray, we have these days, don't we. Love, Andrea xoxo

photowannabe said...

Oh my, how did I miss commenting yesterday?
I love everything about this journal entry.
Patriotic certainly works for me...beautiful.
Now you have made me hungry for that yummy looking dessert for breakfast.
You have such a tender heart Linda. The masks you have made will bless so many.
Take care and I know you will enjoy your time down at the Ranch.
Sue

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

What a great theme you decorated in, Linda, there's nothing like the red-white-and blue, especially these days. It did lift my spirits as it did yours and many others who have seen this post. We used to shell pecans and it could be a very messy business, but the results were wonderful to have and use. The masks you are making are sure to be appreciated by so many and you have a kind heart to keep doing them, Linda. We are using homemade masks from bandanas we already had and a couple of rubber bands. The dessert for breakfast looked delicious!

BeachGypsy said...

Linda my green-eyed girlfriend (smile!) I just love the gazebo....it looks so bright and festive all decked out in the red/white/blue. I love it. No wonder y'all spend alot of time out there! Anyway, now you ARE ALREADY READY for Memorial day and 4th of JUly, LOL. How was the chicken? I love to cook things in my crock pot......I love to make stews, stews, chilis, big one pan wonders of like rice/vegetables/meats type suppers. I get creative, ha ha!! Mr. Front Porch has never turned any of it down, ha ha, so guess it tastes good. How is Summer feeling, wanted to check on her. You are doing a great job on the masks. Good for you! I've always known you have a heart of gold. Hope your Monday has been nice. The storms we were expecting here, fizzled out....and we had a wet and gray morning, but it turned into a pretty and sunny day. Yesterday, we attended on line church in our jammies........and then the whole day was wet so wet and it rained and rained. Today much more cheerful. Hugs!

BeachGypsy said...

PS--Linda did the bees get there yet or is that still coming when y'all get back to the country?

Deanna Rabe said...

I love your gazebo, and it looks good with all your patriotic things!

This virus will go and we will be changed. I hope it’s good change!