Thursday, August 15, 2019

Thursday - Dressing the House

We're smack dab in the middle of August!


I hung this small blackboard I bought at the Goodwill in Waco at the top of the mirror behind our bed. August is the month we just hang on. It's been right around 100 degrees for days and days now.
We had one brief respite yesterday when it stayed in the 90's.

While Louis Dean worked outside cleaning up and loading some materials to take back down to the ranch - I continued my work of dressing the den.


The faux cotton stems and garland were clearance items I picked up at Tuesday Morning last year.


This banjo playing skeleton always makes Louis Dean laugh!
The batteries still work because I pressed the button and he played all the way into the den from the storage building.


I am not hauling everything in and working like my hair's on fire this year.


I bring in a tub and work my way through it.


I've concentrated on the den but I drifted to the foyer before I could help myself.


There are other things I want to use in here but I haven't come across them yet.
I am so happy to see all my lovely fall things again.
Some of my 'debris' has become too shabby even for me and I am setting those aside to to determine whether to throw them out or try to redeem them.


Louis Dean is all about getting rid of a lot of his 'debris', too!
Strike while the iron is hot!
We hauled a lot of stuff to the curb this evening.
While we haven't put the gazebo top on, I can't complain.
It's best to work on things when you're in the mood so that's what we are going with.

I sat outside for a few minutes earlier this evening and listened to the locusts.
August sounds very different than July.
They are so loud they roar in July but August finds them slowly lowering their voices until once day I think, "I don't hear the locust anymore." I always wonder if I've heard the last one and then I forget to pay attention.

The pecan trees seem to be loaded this year and are dropping the hard green ones down like stones.
I am hoping we get a good crop of pecans as we haven't had one in a long time.
I clipped the dead roses off and pulled up a lot of mint.
My very first blog post was about mint.
No, I guess it was my second.
I started the blog on January 21, 2010.
was my second post on January 22nd.
Vee went back and commented on that post 4 years later saying, "Every first post deserves a comment." Thank you, Vee!!

It's 9:39 and we are tired and ready to go to bed.
You'd think we were a couple of old people!
Oops....I guess we ARE!

Goodnight, folks. Sleep well!

16 comments:

Jan said...

The light is definitely different now that it's the middle of August. The thermometer may say 100+, but it's beginning to feel (in my heart, at least!) like it won't be long until summer is gone.

Ginny Hartzler said...

Everything looks so nice! I especially like the wreath on the doors of your secretary desk! I really like the little blackboard, and wait to see what you draw on it for next month. You could do beautiful fall leaves, or pumpkins.

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

Goodnight dear Linda.
Hugs.
Joy

Bluebird49 said...

I'm breathing out a "Whew!" for you. You need some rest, too.
Can't believe September is so near!

MadSnapper said...

it is good that us old people here go to bed at 8 pm because the boom boom of thunder and a 65 pound dog in the middle of our bed at 2:30 am, means we got 6 and a half hours of sleep. we have been up since then, missing day 4 of thunderstorms keeping us from the YMCA pool... we have had 3 weeks of August hell and it will not go away... July/August are my least favorite months here.... it is way to hot to be thinking autumns but I know you always do anyway.... I LOVE your bees all over your blog. so cute and just right for you

Susie said...

Linda, It's going to be so pretty when you have gotten all the fall decorations out. Neil Diamond will be singing to you soon., I can not even believe it's the middle of August already. My sweet summertime is waning. Hooray for LD getting rid of things too. I can't wait for Ted to be well enough to gather some of his junk. I am making myself get rid of things. It's a slow process, but it has to happen. Stay cool there in that heat. Blessings to all, xoxo,love, Susie

Estelle's said...

You know I am a huge fan...how I love seeing your fall decor go up! It already looks gorgeous and you just started...I patiently wait for August to pass on.....it's just too hot for me! Enjoy your home and your decorating....y'all have a great weekend!

Arlene G said...

Linda I went back and read some of your first blogs last night and really enjoyed them. Blogs are such a wonderful way of keeping a journal.

Vee said...

And I just enjoyed reading that first post all over again! I even chuckled at my comment about Amber and her quads. 😁

Now when you decorate for fall in the middle of a hot August, when your hair may actually feel as if it’s on fire, does it make things feel cooler? Sure looks nice and I think you like being prepared for September 1.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I am always so tired at night and can't understand why! heehee! Maybe I'll decorate for Fall today while the rain drizzles outside! I need more twinkle lights! Your house is gorgeous!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Your home is very welcoming and warm. Never thought of decorating as dressing the house, but it is a good description. I'm trying to put the fishing touches on mine today so it's ready for the weekend. Looks likes your's is ready for what every may come your way ! Hope you have a fantastic Friday and a great weekend too!

Rain said...

This banjo playing skeleton!!!!!!!! I want one!!!!!!!!!! The house looks so cozy Linda! :)

photowannabe said...

You have every right to be tired...you do more in one day than I do all week!!
Hubby is finally feeling more like his old self after his surgery and some complications.
We are closer to getting back into our ordinary routines.
This getting old sure has its drawbacks but ,
considering the alternative...I just keep plugging along...
Love your transformation into Fall.
Temps are suppose to be 107F. today...
Sure doesn't feel like Fall yet.

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

You’re going to be all ready for September 1st.

I’m going to check out your first post!

Carole said...

Oh dear, if you came to visit my house you would miss the decoration - mine stays the same all year round including my special nativity set - but I think you would like the art. Cheers!

Carol said...

Your home is always decorated so nicely