Thursday, August 8, 2019

Gentle Country Days......Wednesday and Thursday

We have been here at the ranch long enough this time to feel like we actually live here.
Which we do. Part time.


I don't think the newness of that will ever wear off.


I tend to stay inside the camper during the heat of the day reading and puttering with one thing or another. After 4:00 the sun has gone behind the camper and I come out and do art in the front room.


 The Golden Hour doesn't arrive for some time later but we try to always be out there to see it.
I do our cooking in the front room using the hot plate, toaster oven and microwave.
Not that I cook every day.


Last night we had a chicken and pasta dish with veggies, a simple salad and garlic toast.
Slightly burned as is my tradition.
I nearly always burn the garlic toast.


We ate outside at the picnic table.
No flies!
I've seen maybe a dozen in all the days we've been here this time.
Mr. Jackson doesn't have as many cows over in his pasture....aka our front yard.
Perhaps that's why.

Dean and Sherry were in Waco (Dean teaches Karate on Wednesday evenings) so we went down to feed the goats all our table scraps.


They had put the goats up before they left so all we had to do was say hello.....


and pour the food out.


This was my art for Wednesday.
I had based him in last month and finished him up.
He's the owl that got in the hen house and ate up 5 chickens.
No twinkle in this bad boy's eyes!

This morning Louis Dean woke up early and was itching to get to town for some part he needed.
He was up and gone before 9:00. I spent some quiet time all alone and I loved it.
A little goes a long ways and I was happy when I heard the rumbling diesel backing in at the drive.


Louis Dean is such an excellent husband.
Anything I need, he tries his best to supply.
I asked him about a light over my art table since it's too hot to paint in the bright natural sunlight of the day. That works great during the year - except for the hot summer months. That being July and August this year but some years it can start in May. We have been blessed with a mild summer.


Instead of a big dinner, I decided to cook for lunch since I was out early enough to paint before the heat of the day. Louis Dean says he does not like pasta - but I've served it to him two days in a row and he ate it all up. Today was chicken Alfredo, fresh broccoli and cantaloupe. plus toasted garlic bread.


We are nearing the end of the book Gods and Generals so we started the movie while we ate.
Then we took nice long naps - or at least I did. He tries but he starts thinking about something and then pops out of bed and goes out to do it. Comes back in and lays down and then pops back up again. That's why I nap in the girl bunk.

I was out painting again at 7:00 this evening and finished my cute donkey!


The original artist is Joye DeGoede and is she ever talented!

I still have one more day to paint before I pack it all away.

We have a campfire tonight and have been listening to Alexa play songs by Ray Stevens.
He is such a funny man! 
We saw him in Branson the very last year he was there.

We are living the good life and I thank God for every single day.


19 comments:

Bluebird49 said...

Having a light right where you need it is wonderful, isn't it!
I love your paintings, and the fluffy feathers at the owl's ears just looks so soft. Oops--I called the donkey a mule on FB--sorry.
Ed loves spaghetti and mac n cheese, but no pasta salad and no white sauces. :( I could eat pasta salad everyday 1000 different ways. Tonight we had rice and what I call Barbecue Hamburger. I break up and brown a pound of ground beef, shake Grill Mates BBQ seasoning on it and add ketchup to moisten it good. Ed loves that, so I use half a pound in that, and make spaghetti sauce with the other. I bought a tiny rice cooker and it was so nice not to have the usual "boil over" to clean off the stove! Oh, I cooked fried green tomatoes! Yum! I like to cook when I feel well!
Hope you're resting right now.

Susie said...

Linda, I love that horse. Your Donkey picture and owl are good ones. Poor LD, can't enjoy a good nap time because his brain is working over time. LOL. I like some pastas. I mostly like warm pasta. Looks like you guys are getting your veggies while there. Be safe there. Love you. Blessings to all, xoxo, Susie

Estelle's said...

It's HOT! I don't know how you manage to stay outdoors this much...I go water the patio plants and then I'm back inside....however, I agree..all in all we have had a mild summer compared to most! Safe travels as you make your way home!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Living the good life...I love that! How blessed we both are to have such good hubbies! I love L.D.s photo with the stack of wood in the background..perfect! Enjoy your day! Love your art too!!!

Vee said...

No breakfast yet and you’re making me very hungry! So glad that you are enjoying leisurely days at the ranch...or maybe not so leisurely as you both seem to have much to do. Love the paintings...that owl. He’s got a stern look.

Changes in the wind said...

The paintings turned out great:) Am sure the goats are really happy you cook and glad you enjoy you country time.

MadSnapper said...

bob loves the donkey and says he looks alive to him. it is beautiful.. I wish I had a second home that had animals in the yard.. I don't want an only home because I am to old to care for them. In Atlanta they charge a 1000.00 to rent goats to clean up your back yard. so Chatty crone says. rent those goats out.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

How nice you have your Louis Dean that does so much on his own. Sure does make your life easier. Yes, cows do draw flies and you are blessed not to have many at all there. They are such a nuisance. I love all the variety of your paintings. One very much difference from the other.. I am just starting my Christmas painting and have 7 signs lighten up that will be like line work for me to do. Repetitie work but then easier than when I'll do 22 Christmas ornaments for the grandchildren. Even though they will each have the same pattern, there really ar never two alike. I can not paint the very same thing twice. Enjoy what time remains. You've gotten a lot done for sure !

Deanna Rabe said...

You are living a beautiful life, and its one you and Louis Dean have created together!

That donkey painting is wonderful - he's got great personality!

I assume you're planning to be home on September 1st! Just a few weeks away!

Enjoy every moment friend!

Ginny Hartzler said...

I think going back and forth makes you appreciate the ranch even MORE. Absence makes the heart fonder. I adore your donkey & wine painting!!!! It is totally awesome. And you did indeed make the owl's eyes determined and purposeful. The food you make always looks so good!!

photowannabe said...

Yes You are definitely living the good life...
God is amazing and does restore and renew.
Linda, I adore your donkey and the glass of wine. Darling and so well done.
As I have said many times...you have a real keeper in LD.
What a kind and thoughtful man.
I love how you spend your days creating beauty and enjoying God's creation.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

yes, a wonderful life you and Louis Dean are sharing, Linda, and with all of us as well. i really like that you do your separate things but always take time to enjoy dinner together and read and watch a film as well. Thanks, as always, for your visits and comments on our blog as well.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Whoops, forgot to add that I really liked the donkey with wine glass painting but that nasty chicken-eating owl was not so much a favorite...the owl itself, not your artwork.

Sue said...

WOW! Linda I am awed at your artistic talent, I have always wanted to draw/paint like this, and play a musical instrument, I guess it just wasn't meant to be, So I will admire yours and others! The grin on Lewis Dean tells me he enjoyed the pasta! I am a pasta fan, and I also like my garlic toast almost burned. ~wink~
Living in the country never gets old to me too! I am happy you all have had a productive and enjoyable time at the ranch!, Thanks for sharing.
Blessings,
Sue

Chatty Crone said...

Okay - for just a minute I thought that horse had his leg in the birdbath. sandie

Carole said...

A kneeling horse and a beautifull wonky donkey - keep up the good work!

Saimi said...

The farm life is the best. How can you beat looking out your camper door and seeing that beautiful horse and those darling goats! Your paintings are exquisite you seriously are so talented!! That owl looks like he's gonna fly right out of the canvas and see what else he can drum up for dinner. I tend to lean on the burnt side of toast too!

Aloha Acres said...

My mama loved Ray Stevens and I loved hearing her laugh when she listened to him. You just brought back some great memories.
Do Dean and Sherry have horses? If so, what in the world do they use for horse flies? They are eating our Ruby up right now.

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Love that painting of the donkey with the wine glass, and am very impressed by the meals you prepare without a stove.