Sunday, August 4, 2019

Art and Watermelons! Friday and Saturday

Friday we went to town - as in big town Waco.
A branch of our bank is in the Walmart there and I needed a few art supplies from Hobby Lobby.


I love the country roads and all the critters we see on our way.


Louis Dean decided we would splurge and have a late lunch at Luby's.
The food was every bit delicious!
From the cabbage to the fried okra and corn. He had a smothered steak and I had baked fish.
To top it off we split a strawberry shortcake.
That was our only meal of the day!
We stayed full right up to bedtime.


I picked up two bunches of greenery at Hobby Lobby and cut them apart.
I stuck them in the reclaimed wreath and covered up the ugly leaves.
I think I will use this as a centerpiece on the front room table.


I continued underpainting my Christmas canvases.


Step by step.


It is a process.


Once it's all based in -


I let them dry. 
Then it's easier to paint in the real picture details.

I've only done one nativity in the past and that was several years ago.


I am going to be winging it on these.


I say a prayer before I do art......
'May God bless the work of my hands.....'


This was Friday night's sunset.


Today I based in the last of my canvases.
It's a 16X20 of the smaller nativity.
One to keep and one to give away.

I went out to the garden this late afternoon to cut a few more of the okra pods.
Sherry's daughter is here visiting this weekend and that means extra special meals.


Our watermelons are getting bigger and riper every day.
We have four like this one.....


and this one big beauty!


I don't know what this 'weed' or wildflower is called but it sure does smell good!


Dean's roasting ears are growing!
Our tomato plants still have lots of green tomatoes on them.
The peas and now the okra are pretty much done.
Our cucumbers didn't do well at all and our pepper plants have bit the dust.
But we can't complain. The garden has been a good adventure!

Louis Dean has been working hard today on the bathroom sink.
He's put the flooring down (under and around the sink area) and should be able to hook the water up tomorrow.
He's had his eye on some other projects he likes better than plumbing. Electrical, building, fencing, he likes any chore better than plumbing. But we made a deal that he will get the bathroom fully functioning before starting on another project. Or FINISHING one he's already started. There are many. So my chant has been of late - sink!sink!sink!SINK!!

He finished what he could do for the day and then proceeded to fry up a batch of okra - fresh from the garden! Dean, Sherry and Crystal brought all the rest of the meal down and we had a feast tonight!!


Sherry made pepper poppers and we literally pop them in our mouths!
They are SO good!!


Louis Dean's fried okra!
He fried it in a skillet using a hot plate and then we put it in the toaster oven to finish.
You just can't fry well on a hot plate. We need to bring a Fry Daddy down here! Remember those?


Good green beans.


And Dean's special melt-in-your-mouth, drop-off-the-bone ribs!
It was a wonderful evening!
Family, Food, Fellowship.


And to top it off - FUN!!!
I get so excited about the fireworks that I take awful pictures.
So I mostly watched tonight without even trying to take any.
I held a couple of rocket launchers and that was exciting.
We did several cool things that lasted a good while and some bombs bursting in air and a grand finale!
We called it - The BIG one! Crystal brought it and she said she had been saving it for tonight.
Lots of color and explosions that went on just like the end of a fireworks show.
The best thing about it is that is is done right here!

Every day has been special in its own way and every night I go to bed thanking God for all his blessings. I'm already gearing up for tomorrow!
We are going to help James (our mentor) harvest his honey.
We will get to see first hand how it's done and help do it.
I.am.so.excited.

14 comments:

Bluebird49 said...

What a blessing your posts are to me! The kids came and visited us today. I made chocolate meringue pies last night, cooled and put them in the fridge, but didn't tell them until we had finished eating our fried chicken, mac-n-cheese, fried apples and rolls. (I had told my son I didn't think I'd make them this time, so it was fun seeing their eyes light up.)
Youall have had some awesome days and nights! Family, faith, food and fun!

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

What an enjoyable day! Lindsay and I have tried growing watermelons before and we didn’t get one melon! Yours look good!

Have fun harvesting honey!

Arlene G said...

Sounds like the perfect weekend to me Linda. Have fun harvesting your honey. Marvin says we probably have one more batch before we leave the rest for the bees to get through the winter.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It's always good to finish up some art work and put it aways so we can start something new. I've more to do than than I'd like to admit and plant to do it with too. How nice to see those watermelon home grown deliciousness for sure ! Hope today is just as wonderful as hesateay. Happy Sunday!

MadSnapper said...

you two busy bees never stop. you are both like the everready bunny, just keep on keeping on... I love okra, corn and cabbage and add a little corn bread and don't need anything but that. your garden has me drooling on the keyboard. those beans look soooo good as does the fried okra

Changes in the wind said...

Both you and LD are so gifted to be able to use your hands in creative ways. The dinner looks amazing and especially those green beans....the garden has been very fruitful. A good day on the ranch.

The Feminine Energy said...

I'm praising God you & LD didn't go to the El Paso Walmart, dear friend. I don't know my geography so I don't know how close you were to the tragedy that happened yesterday but... my thoughts & prayers go out to your whole state. Love you, Andrea xoxo

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

All of those fresh veggies look so wonderful. Fried okra is about my favorite from the garden! Blessings on this Sunday morning!

Susie said...

Linda, It looks like you and LD are eating good there in Texas. :) You really are a busy girl with your art also. It will be fun to follow along with you on your canvases to see how you are doing. Don't forget to show us . :) Ted and I like to look at a bunch of chickens, on our drives. ...they are smart enough to stay in the shade. Blessings to all, xoxo,love, Susie

Ginny Hartzler said...

I can't wait for your honey post! And cannot remember where you hung that gorgeous bee you painted. Your picture of the cows all under the tree is so pretty; that would be a lovely scene for you to paint. What a true blessing to be both a city mouse AND a country mouse! Although there is defiantly nothing mousy about YOU! You sparkle!

Carole said...

Hi LInda, been thinking of you and Texas today (and Ohio too) - so glad you don't live near the border. Take care

Carla said...

All that food was making me hungry. Okay so do you know if the okra is ready to pick? We have some and I'm not sure. My tomatoes are going crazy. I can't eat them fast enough. I have the type of cucumber that is huge and has bumps. Are they only for pickling? Do you have a good recipe? LOL we have a garden but not sure what I'm doing obviously.
Love your paintings. You are so talented.

jujupage1 said...

That watermelon reminds me of the ones we ate in Croatia. They were delicious.

photowannabe said...

Everyday is truly an adventure for you and LD.
Its a joy filled life for you...
Your paintings are wonderful. Thanks for taking us through the process.
If I ate the yummy things you two eat I would weigh 300 pounds...
Everything looks delicious.
Fireworks to end your fabulous day...
Nothing better.