Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Marlin, Texas!!

Dean and I drove the back roads to Marlin, Texas this morning so I could get my driver's license renewed! It was time to go in person as it was 14 years ago when I had my picture taken and my current license with Chapman as my last name.
A sobering thought was the next time I have to go in I will be 85 years old! Hope I'm still alive and driving then!


I love everything about the country!
The back roads are a true favorite.
We seldom see another vehicle until we hit pavement!


The ranch is in Falls County and Marlin is the town that does the driver's license.
I'm telling you, folks!! If you need to go in person to get your license renewed - it's worth the drive to a small town! I was in and out in 15 minutes. No lines and friendly people!

Since we were in Marlin, we decided to check out a few of the local shops!


Dean and Sherry found this one not long ago when HE was in Marlin renewing HIS license!


It was actually closed today but the owner was there doing projects and had opened it up not really expecting customers.


It is such a cool shop!
Called Girlfriend's Therapy and I intend to come back soon with a brand new girlfriend I met at the bee meeting! Her bee hives are in Marlin!


I bought these fall place mats - just because!

We hit up the Walmart there. They also have a HEB store but Dean told me not to get excited because it wasn't like the ones we o to in Bellmead and Waco.


Lunch was at this burger joint and it was good!


I had a hamburger and did good to eat half of it.


Dean had chicken fried steak sandwich and I do believe he ate all of that! 
Except he didn't eat all the okra. I ate most of it and brought the rest home.


We came home by way of the back roads and went through Otto, Texas.


I don't remember the name of this white wildflower but it blooms towards the end of August and is a sign that the heat of summer is drawing to a close. At least the INTENSE heat of summer.
It can be hot right up to and including Thanksgiving!


I nearly got emotional as I stood in the road taking pictures - since there is NO traffic!
It is just such a special gift to have a place to go in the country.
I can't thank Dean and Sherry enough in letting us have this ranch experience.


This old road marker has bullet holes in it.


Old OLD road sign!


Who doesn't love a country road???


Dean told me the history of the people who had lived in this house.


All too soon we were back at the ranch.
It had rained while we were gone.
I made it just fine driving from the gate to the camper/cabin.
I only had one small bag and my laptop so it didn't take long to close up the place and load the car.


I'm always a tiny bit sad to leave.
But it was odd to not have Louis Dean there.
Sometimes when he can't sleep, I will go get in the girl bunk and he pulls the curtain over the bedroom door but I can still see the lights at the top.
Last night I slept in the girl bunk but I left the lights on and the curtain pulled on the bedroom.
Every time I got up to go to the bathroom - it looked like Louis Dean was in bed reading.

Did you notice that I got a little mud on my tires??


Mr. Jackson's cows were all across the road and saying goodbye.
Can you see the one that is outside the fence?
After I pulled the car through the gate and locked it back - I looked and he was inside!


Look what Dean and Sherry sent home with me?
A combination of hen and duck eggs!

It was sad to leave the ranch but good to be home with Louis Dean.
He could not find his tea bags and kept trying to make tea from the ones he did find - all herbal and flavored. I came home to a good bit of damage control and several pitchers full of tea!

Never a dull moment with Louis Dean!



13 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

I would love to go shopping in this store! Really? It is hot through Thanksgiving? Oh NO, I would not like that for sure! Well, actually I WOULD like it if it stayed light all evening!

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

You are so brave with your driving Linda. Glad you were able to be there for the Group of people who have hives. Always a pleasure to visit.
Hugs.
Joy

Vee said...

What a cool shop you found! Good that you have your license for another good long while and how nice to find a place to renew your license that was not a royal pita. (My required place for such things is loaded with people, most of whom are from Mogadishu. It can be well over an hour.)

Well it wouldn’t be home without finding some Louis Dean adventures, What will you do with all that tea? LOL Forget that! What are you going to do with all those beautiful eggs? I see baking in your future.

Bluebird49 said...

What a great break, Linda!
I'm giggling about the pitchers of herbal teas! ;)

Arlene G said...

I had to chuckle at LD's tea making adventure. We have to get out licenses renewed every four years here in Alabama. Glad you could do it in a town that was not crowded...makes a lot of difference. I got the gold star added to my last drivers license. ( In the future it will allow you to fly here in the US if you do not have a pass port.) It took a good while to get that done...I had to show lots of id. Maybe one day I will get a pass port but since I do not plan to travel outside the country I guess I am good with my star drivers license.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Thankfully you have your LD. I know you wouldn't want a life without him, damage control and all. So glad you had a great day and both make it back to your little bit of heaven. Hope you thak it easy and enjoy! The picture of your country roads are delightful !

Tina said...

Oh my goodness you are lucky to only have to renew your license every 14 years!! Here in Illinois we have to renew every 4 years! And I do go to the facility in a small town nearby because the one in the city where I live is so crowded and the people who work there are NOT friendly! I know what you mean about getting emotional over no traffic noise! I would love to have a place to sit outside where I don't have to hear the roar of a highway nearby! Louis Dean and his pitchers of herbal tea gave me such a smile this morning! He does get himself into trouble when you're away! Hope you both have a great Thursday!

Chatty Crone said...

You will be alive and well in 14 years and driving. So do you have to go to a specific place to get your license done - we can go anywhere. Sandie

Changes in the wind said...

Nice for you to have this new experience of going alone and getting your license renewed. I would love that drive and all the quiet. Glad you are back home safe and sound and with LD.

photowannabe said...

Delightful to say the least.
I love the name of that "junk" store.
I definitely see some return visits in your future.
It's nice to get away but there is nothing like home with your Sweetie.
So glad he is doing ok,
except for needing tea bags....
Love your final sentence about the damage control when you came back home.
Yes...
I love country roads and the peace that comes.
There is never a dull moment on your Journal.

Judy said...

Love those 'roads less traveled' and all your good finds along the way. Thanks for sharing your adventures.

Carole said...

Great little shop. Cheers

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

There’s certainly nothing like a country road, Linda, as we know from our years of living in a small VA town. Glad to have been taken along on the drive for your license renewal.