Thursday, July 30, 2020

Country Meals, Bee Meeting, and Roofing Materials Delivered!

I'm loving our time in the country.
Tuesday I reminded myself of our Aunt Ruby!
Back when we were little and in the year 1957 when life became very confusing and complicated for us.....and Mother was pregnant with twins....and we four didn't have anywhere to stay....so
our Aunt Ruby took us in. Not only did she take us in - she loved us and did not make us feel like we were a burden. We loved her and loved the months we lived with her and our Uncle Humey (Granny's brother) and Rosemary, our cousin. Aunt Ruby had a garden and I remember shelling peas on her back porch. I didn't realize at the time that the garden was to provide needed food for her family. And yet she still took us in. She always wore an apron and I was wearing one yesterday. It was for art but I kept it on as I was cooking a big country lunch for my hard working husband!


Aunt Ruby cooked three meals a day!
Breakfast was oatmeal and lunch was a meat, and two vegetables....plus tea and bread and butter. Supper was a lighter meal.
Lunch Tuesday was chicken and dressing, sweet potato casserole, garden salad and a dinner roll.
I felt like my Aunt Ruby!!
I have good memories of all of my aunts.
Aunt Ruby was so good to us. Aunt Viola, my Granny's sister, was another one who took us in during bad times. She was a character and we all loved her! Aunt Alice was our Uncle Truman's wife and Truman was Mother's one and only brother.....and that's what she and Aunt Irene called him - Brother.
I remember Aunt Alice and Christmas. She made three kinds of candy back in 1955. Divinity, fudge and date nut loaf. She was special. When I was 14 years old and pregnant with Summer, Aunt Alice would call me every week. I lived in Dallas and she lived and worked in Fort Worth. But she had a metro line so it wasn't long distance to call me. She, in turn, would call Mother and let her know how I was doing. We also had an Aunt Geneva and an Aunt Winnie.....and maybe another one I can't think of now. But ALL of our aunts were kind to us and I am grateful for every one of them.

Funny how my apron and a big lunch made me think of my aunts......
Memories can be wonderful things and we need to take them out and enjoy them.


Our kittens are quickly turning into cats!
They continue to entertain us.
I am so glad we got two of them.
They play together and seem to have such a good time.
I love how they have adapted to our country life and our city life.
I think it may be that we got them at such an early age.
As I write, it is after midnight. We put them in their carrier and bring them into the camper, cover the carrier with a knitted blanket - it's on the cold side at night in here!
They never make a peep until we uncover them the next morning and start to carry them out to the front room. They do have the option to come inside the camper as we go in and out and they do.
Usually they are in here during the heat of the day. As are we.

Tuesday was our monthly Bee Meeting!
I dressed up and put make up on and fixed my hair.


Oh, my hair!
I really miss my hair stylist, Yulisa!
She always 'fixed' my hair! And she worked magic. Every time.
I am not complaining about the hair cut I got in Bellmead.
It's just that I was used to someone so special.
But, I am so grateful that I was able to get it cut!
I kind of felt like it was a Julie Andrews style!
Notice I am wearing my second pair of prescription glasses?
These are not quite as big as the other pair.
Still......to read I wear a pair of Dollar Store glasses.
I need to buy a few more of these.....


It's our custom to go out to eat on our Bee Meeting night.
Normally, we are the Three Beekeepers - Linda, Sherry and Rosey!
Tonight it was just Sherry and me and we ate at El Conquistador in Bellmead.
I LOVE that place!


We had the Papita Nachos and a large Guacamole Salad and split it between us.
Of course I had a frozen margarita! I get a frozen one so I don't drink it so fast that I want to get another! We were so full and it was so good!
We have GOT to bring Rosey here for our August meeting!! 


Our bee meetins are being held in an outdoor church place in China Springs.
Our vice president is pastor here and has offered to host the meetings until January when we can go back to the McClennan campus.

It was a good meeting and we always learn something new.
There's a drawing every meeting and we all receive a ticket.
Mine was 505....and the second drawing was MY number!!!
I KNEW I would win!
Like I KNEW I would find that video of Running With Scissors the other day.


Today (Wednesday) was so special!
I staggered out of bed to check if the truck had delivered the roofing materials yet.
No.....so one cup  of coffee and then I heard Sherry honking her horn!
She had opened the gate and the truck was coming in!


It was a glorious truck!!!


With a cool machine that unhooked and transported the materials to their destination.
It was so exciting!!


Sherry and I gave the driver a jar of honey in appreciation of the sheer enjoyment of watching him deliver the roofing!

I was up early - for me - so after Louis Dean and I had a breakfast of cereal with fresh blueberries, strawberries and bananas - we did our devotions and Bible reading - and then went back to bed to take a good long nap!


I didn't accomplish much today.
After my nap, I went out in the front room and started painting.
I scrubbed out Mr. Santa's face FOUR times!
I have spent hours on these two faces!
It is NOT a finished piece - even though I signed my name.
I will work on it some more but I feel confident I can pull him together.....after he dries out a bit.

I have one more of Mr. and Mrs. to finish and a red barn Christmas painting.
My goal is to have these done before I go home next week!

It's late....I know...
I stayed too long on the new star deck tonight watching the sky.
I DID see a shooting star!!

19 comments:

MadSnapper said...

Why you should have been exhausted enough to really sleep good last night! I would love watching the truck unload also I like things like that. Great idea to give him the honey! I'm really happy for the kittens that you got two of them also. Can't wait to see the roof over

MadSnapper said...

I forgot to say that I never see an apron that I don't think of my Aunt Helen. She was my dad's only sister and one of seven kids so she had six brothers to deal with. I don't remember ever seeing her without an apron over her clothes. Also my Aunt Ruby who was married to one of Daddy's brother's never saw her without one either. My mother wore one but only when she cooked the other ants wore it even outside if they were sweeping the sidewalk

Susie said...

Linda , This post sounds so cheerful , even with the tough time memories. You had a good time with Sherry. I love that you gifted the truck driver with some honey. Can't wait to see LD next project. :) Take care there in the heat. Blessings to all, stay safe, xoxo, love, Susie

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

You do stay busy even with your quiet days at the ranch. You have a new deck and now a new roof? Sounds like you're going to stay safe andcomforable there. How nice you thought to give you truck driver a jar of honey.. That was a big load to unload. Take care, nee cool and enjoy your days there. They are going by quickly.

Rosey Carter said...

ABSOLUTELY “YES” to El Conquistador!!

Congrats on winning the raffle!

Changes in the wind said...

It's funny how memories can pop up, glad these were good ones. I knew you were young when you had Summer but didn't realize how young. Bet that truck driver will love that jar of honey:)

Vee said...

Your aunts all sound like loving, generous women. You learned a great deal from them, Linda! It's lovely that you are enjoying your time. Sounds as if a busy time is upon you with the roofing...someone else is doing it, right?

Chatty Crone said...

Girl you keep busy everywhere you go. I enjoy reading about your adventures. I know what you mean about the haircut - me too. I am glad that you are getting out and doing things!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wanda said...

It's morning here, and so I'll wish you a good morning, but know that you have already accomplished more today, than I will in a week. Today was doctor appointment for my dearest to check his new pace maker/defib. All is well, it's working as it should, but the Technion reminded us of the seriousness of Don's heart functioning at 31%. The new pace maker/defib will shock his heart, should it decide to stop or get out of sinc. Thank God for modern medicine, and the Hand of God that we trust more than earthly doctors.

Your Aunt Ruby, so reminded me of my Aunt Cassie. Just the same life style. She lived to be 98 and cooked those 3 squares a day.

Your hair cut is so cute, and yes, You look like Julie Andrews. Lovely.

photowannabe said...

I get to make my post after my dear friend Wanda...I'm so glad that I "found" you through her...I think we would make an awesome trio. We would probably talk and talk for hours.
So glad your roof goodies have arrived. How exciting.
Love your art work too.
Good for you winning at the Bee meeting.
Hope your days are filled with love and laughter.
Sue

photowannabe said...

Oops, I forgot to say that aprons always remind me of my Mother in Law. She always had one on and boy could she bake and cook up a storm.
That apron covered her "wash dress", held clothes pins, a hankie or two and maybe some paper towels pieces to wrap around the "feet" as she called them of the tiny Cecil Bruner roses she would make into tiny bouquets to give any one she met..from the person at the PX to the banker, to her friends at church.
She's been gone for a long time but thanks for the memories.
Sue

Ginny Hartzler said...

What did you win? Is the whole deck all done? I love your sunflower background! I like your glasses, and LOVE your hair! Maybe even more than the style before! But your face would look good in any kind of cut.

Bluebird49 said...

I remember all the women in both sides of my family wearing aprons. Bammie wore one that covered the upper and bottom part of her dress.💕 My very best friend, Ann, who died in 2016, made me an apron out of Christmas material one Christmas. I wear it often. It's bright red and it has a Christmas print with white geese on it. I was thrilled to get it, and it was the last one she ever made.
When you spoke of family, I thought of my aunts, and my great aunt who we called "Sister". Mama had 3 brothers and one was called "Brother". They all called Mama "Sister". Isn't it the dearest thing!? We were blessed to have kindly kinfolk, too. Even after I got married, one always came by right before Christmas with a cheery platter of homemade candies and cookies. I'll never forget that, and neither did my kids.💕
Mr. and Mrs. Santa look about done. You can call them your "Santas in the Time of Covid" group! (Instead of "...in the time of Cholera." )☺
I'm glad the trucker got honey! Spreading the joy wherever you are -- that was a sweet thought.
I know the kitties are bigger, but they have each other and y'all -- all they need with their food, water and litter box!
Hope the ringing of the hammers on the roof won't give you a headache tomorrow!😘

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

I love aprons and wear them a lot! I love that you had such wonderful aunts. I have a very nice aunt and wonderful great aunts but we never lived near them, so I didn’t know them well, sadly.

I love hearing about your bee meetings, and hurray for your roofing! Can’t wait to see i all finished!

Carole said...

Hope the shooting star brings you lots of luck. Cheers

Rain said...

Huzzah for Aunt Ruby! She sounds like a wonderful lady! I do like to cook, but three meals a day, plus keeping up the house and kids? Uh....don't think I could hack it! I love the faces on your Santa painting!

Great-Granny Grandma said...

I enjoyed reading about your memories of your aunts. Sounds like they were a real blessing.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

What a nice tribute to your Aunt Ruby this was, Linda, who obviously was a very special lady in your life. Many of us have aunts like that and mine was my Aunt Ann and one of my husband's aunt was also named Ann. Glad the kitties are so well adjusted and bring such joy and like you said it's good that they have a companion in one another - animals and humans need that, more so now. The Santa panting is really looking good!

Debbie said...

"I didn't accomplish much today" - that cracks me up...i would like "your" definition!!

i think your hair looks awesome but i know what you mean about having someone special. my stylist is so special to me, i really love her and she has been cutting my hair forever!!!

mr. and mrs. claus are ADORABLE!!!!!