Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Monday and Tuesday With Summer.....

It was a week ago on Monday that Summer had her SCS surgery.
That's Spinal Cord Stimulator.
She has done remarkably well in her recovery and has been an ideal patient.
For the first few days she slept a lot but has not taken much in the way of pain medication.
Perhaps she's grown so accustomed to pain that she tolerates it better than some could.

We celebrated the one week date with a good lunch.
Summer put together a really pretty garden salad while I made up a fresh fruit one.


I took what I thought was a chicken cheese enchilada dish out of the freezer for our main course.....


only to discover when I was dishing it up - that it was mashed potatoes!!
I had made rice and beans as side dishes but put those in containers while Summer added ham to the salad! Monday night we had mashed potatoes and fried ham!

As soon as the sun goes past the pecan trees in the late afternoon and early evening, we've been going outside to work in the front yard.


Summer took this photo as I was working hard at chopping back the jungle growth of Asian Jasmine!
She used my nifty propane weed burner to deal with weeds coming up through the cracks in the driveway and between stones.

After it started getting dark, we went inside and began our evening of sewing face masks.
She had bought some clever fabrics to make up a couple of dozen. 
There are lots of dog lovers in Summer's life and Rayne and Sabrina are part of the fostering program for Palmas Del Mar Animal Welfare in Puerto Rico.


Here they are wearing the masks I sent them!
They are going to LOVE the ones we made last night!!

Louis Dean got way too tired yesterday so he took a hot bath and went to bed early.
Summer and I stayed up late sewing and then sat out on the driveway for an hour before we went to bed about 1:00 this morning!
Monday was a perfect day!


This morning we got ourselves together and packed up Summer's things and it was time to head to Rowlett. We grabbed a couple of pics together before we left.


Here I am modeling the honeycomb fabric Summer got for my special face mask.


What makes it even more special is the Honeybee button she bought!
I toyed with sewing it in the middle of the mask so it would be more noticable.


However, once I looked at it, my first thought was the cover pic of Silence of the Lambs.
NOT doing THAT! So by the ear was perfect!

We loaded up in the truck and did a few errands with Summer after we got to Rowlett remebering that she cannot BEND, LIFT, or TWIST!
She's getting good at squatting!


She has such a great sense of humor!
She ordered this mask for fun!
It's true!
We wear masks and we may be smiling but people don't see that!
Of course, Summer clearly smiles with her eyes, too!


Here's another mask she ordered for me!
I will be wearing this at our next bee meeting!
Wonder when that will be??


We stopped at Whataburger and took lunch back to Sherry's house (the wonderful lady Summer lives with) to eat. It had been a long time since we had enjoyed a Whataburger! Summer ordered on her phone while we were in the parking lot and they brought it to us curbside. Win! WIN!!

Whataburger is a 'suthern thang.'
You have to live in one of the 10 states in the south to eat a WHAT a BURGER!!!
Arizona, New Mexico, TEXAS, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia,or Florida! It started in Corpus Christi, Texas in 1950 and most of the store are IN Texas with a total of 805 locations in all!
That one meal lasted us all day!


I close tonight's journal entry with the note I found beside my laptop tonight.
Made me tear up.
I am so very thankful to have Summer Dee in my life.
Daughter of a very young mother, there is only 15 years difference in our ages.
In many ways we have grown up together.
I'm grateful for all of you out there who have prayed for her during thes last four years as she has been on this journey with pain. 
We are filled with hope like we have not had before that she will get her life back.
I don't think anyone could have handled the adversities she's had and the horrible pain she's been in for as long as she has suffered any better than she has done.
I am so very proud of her!!



15 comments:

Bluebird49 said...

So glad Summer has done well. And hope Louis Dean is rested now. I guess it's off to the ranch soon! Hope you will have safe travels!!

Ginny Hartzler said...

What a wonderful opportunity this was for the two of you to be even closer! And even though she was in pain and healing, to spend some fun and valuable time together. I love both your bee masks, and the adorable button!! Whataburgers must be so special! What makes them so different?

jujupage1 said...

You seem to have brought up Summer well! Love all the masks you made! 💜

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

What a sweetheart Summer Dee is! I love my boys....but I know I missed having a girl! Love all the masks. Leave it to you to have all of these to stay stylish! Hugs!

Vee said...

God love her! You may have grown up together, but your mother love has always been strong even as a young mom. You're going to miss her and, as she says, she's going to miss all the attention.

Don't be getting up to much now... take a break. You deserve one.

Changes in the wind said...

Well I must say you all know how to roll with the punches when mashed potatoes showed up instead of the enchilada casserole:) So glad that Summer is doing well and hope the surgery is a big success. We have had a couple of Waterburgers too and there is nothing like them.

Donna said...

Summer is amazing just like her amazing mama! You both have shown more courage and gumption than most folks. My SIL who lives in McKinney loves Whataburger.

Arlene G said...

So glad to see Summer doing so well.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

So very good to hear Summer is well enough to go home now. You will miss her after having all that time together. I love the mask with smile on it. That's one thing we can't share with masks on these days. It't wonderful you have such a good choice of material to make them more meaningful. Hope you enjoy the rest of the week. Be careful and stay safe !

photowannabe said...

I'm so glad to hear that Summer is doing well enough to go back home but I know you are going to miss your special times together...
I love how you go with the flow...enchiladas turn out to be mashed potatoes...made me smile.
Please don't work too hard and I hope LD gets his rest and his batteries charged again. Glad he is listening to his body more.
Sue

Carole said...

Would like to try a Whataburger some day.... Cheers

Deanna Rabe said...

I enjoyed Whataburger when I was in Texas! So good!

I’m so glad that Summer was able to stay with you during this first week. You are an excellent mother!

Jan said...

So glad Summer is doing well and that you got to take care of her! Our kids are always our babies!

Mandy said...

I love your bee mask! I always start out my morning with oatmeal with a little honey in it.

Side note- My dad had a high school class with Thomas Harris who wrote Silence of the Lambs.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Glad for the updates and photos of Summer and the one of you together in that heart shape was the best, Linda. The Whataburger meal sounded so good and if we ever do travel to one of those states, it will be on a stop, most definitely!