Friday, May 22, 2020

A Country Cocktail Party on Thursday and Friday Things!

Just look at these cute kitties!


Such sweet faces!


I especially love this one......


And this kitty reminds me of July....the cat Amber got on the 4th of July in 1992 and lived to be 21 years old.

Nine kittens! If you are in the area and interested in kittens - seven are available!



One of the perks of being in the country is the fresh eggs!


I walked down to Sherry's Thursday afternoon and came back with eggs and cornbread.
She knows how much Louis Dean loves cornbread so she made a batch just for him!


He was a happy camper!

Thursday night is like a Friday night to Sherry since she is on a four day work week.


A perfect night for a Country Cocktail Party!
A batch of homemade white sangria!
You start with a lot of sliced up fruit!


Then you add a bit of Peach Schnapps and Apricot Brandy....




It was as delicious as it was pretty!




INGREDIENTS

  • 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
  • 1 cup picante sauce
  • 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
  • 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
  • 3/4 cup sour cream
  • 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin (or more to taste)
  • tortilla chips

INSTRUCTIONS

  1. In a large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients; transfer to a small (1-1/2-qt) slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 2 hours or until heated through, stirring intermittently. Serve with tortilla chips and salsa.
  2. Optional ways of preparing: The slow cooker is ideal because it keeps the dip warm but you can also prepare this in the oven or even microwave.
  3. For the Oven: Bake dip at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
  4. Microwave: Heat in a microwave safe bowl for 5-8 minutes or until cheese is melted and smooth. Stir every couple of minutes.

Sherry brought some of Dean's smoked ham and I had the good bean dip, chips and salsa, a cheese tray .....


and we sat during the Golden Hour with wonderful views of the horses.....


and have I said how much I love our 'front yard?'


Dean brought a special surprise for Sherry!
Notice the BEE?


We had a taste testing of the two and this one won 2 to 1!
Did I mention our special guest?
Our sister beekeeper, Rosey!
She and I liked this one best.
Sherry liked the Evan Williams Honey which is great - since the big bottle was from Dean to Sherry!


Dessert was compliments of Summer!
It was worth waiting for!
Topped with fresh fruit and whipped cream - it was the perfect finish to a lovely little country party!



Everyone loves Dean and he regaled us with funny stories!
It was a great evening and went by way too fast!

I had set my alarm for 6:00 this Friday morning and when I staggered out to the front room - Louis Dean was already up and had my coffee made. He and I watched the sun come up together.
That was special as we see a lot of sunsets but not too many sunrises!
I was up early to go to town with Sherry.


Louis Dean was up to work in his garden.


He does love working.
And he's learning to pace himself and has come to grips with the fact that he can't
do what he used to. But he does love to talk about the good old days - like last year!


Sherry picked me up at 7:15 and we headed to Waco to buy supplies.
I love that she stops for sunflowers!


I had my first bouquet of the year!
We got the tractor parts and critter food and then stopped for breakfast.


Amazing how special breakfast at IHOP is these days!


Food was amazing and I did not have to cook it!


Our last stop was HEB and they had corn on the cob on sale!
5 ears for $1!
Limit was 20.
I bought 20.
So did Sherry.

Since I got up early and since I'm not used to it - I came home and went to bed for a couple of hours. Louis Dean had been working on his fence so he took a nap, too.
Sherry got on her tractor and went to work!

I celebrated tonight's Golden Hour by going down to visit the goats and meet the three new ones!


I think this one is Meme.....


And this is Thumper with Rugar.
Rugar and Remmie are good dogs to protect the goats.


This is Esme.....one of the 'babies' now grown up.


Elsie.....another 'baby.'


Edith.....the third baby.

Now for the new ones.....


Meet Raoma....
I can't type that name without thinking of Reaoma.....my sweet friend with three vowels in a row in her name.
She's a girl but I thought she was a billy goat!


Brownie is a pretty girl...


And finally. Huddles!


Because of the new goats......Dean and Sherry were working hard this late afternoon and into the evening putting up a shed so the goats could get a little shade.
Summer is coming.....and Texas gets hot!

We are loving our days and our nights here at the ranch!






24 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

I love the pretty new look of your blog...country chic. I do love it when bloggers post recipes! The kittens are adorable!

Deanna Rabe said...

Kitties, goats, food, and good people! Enjoy your visit to the ranch!

Amber said...

You can get any more of the good country life in here if you tried haha! Sounds like everyone is doing well and I’m so glad y’all enjoy your time there. ❤️

Bluebird49 said...

Looks like you are having another great time in the country. God bless you and all your family!

jujupage1 said...

I love the countryside. We got some chickens about a month ago and they recently started laying. I love getting the eggs that our own chickens have produced, too! I also love the names of all your goats.

Vee said...

The good old days like last year...😁

Well I certainly am glad that you folks aren't goofing off. We can't allow that too much, can we? Why so many goats? Are they there to keep the lawn mowed?

How fun that you are able to eat out again. Not here. Feels like maybe never.

Changes in the wind said...

Oh my that second kitten just grabs your heart:) What wonderful time with Dean and Sherry, so glad you can enjoy each other. You are right...breakfast out is a REAL treat these days.

MadSnapper said...

all that honey is devine. i love honey.. the bottles are collector items and can be refilled with your own honey. glad LD is taking it easier. the food all sounds really good and i would love to eat breakfast out. don't dare that down here. they have opened FL and our virus is on the up swing, one of 4 states that has a 50 percent up tick in new cases. no restuants yet. when disney opens this week end, we shall see.
i read the goat and dog names out to bob. i love their names and feel bad for Brownie.. the only common name ha ha

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I love the looks of all that fresh fruit. Hits the spot when the weather heats up. I often take a nap when I've been out early too. Nothing more refreshing. Those goats are so cute, but how you remember the names is amazing. They all look alike to me. We don't usually get corn on the cob till the 4th of July . Your seasons are ahead of ours. Hope you have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend!

Arlene G said...

That corn looks amazing!! I always enjoy seeing LD working in his Over Hauls, as we kids used to call the overalls our granddaddies wore. The Best place to be is in the Country!!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Hi Linda, Those are some really cute kittens and wish that we could adopt, but sadly not. I hoppe they find loving homes. The baby goats were cute too, just not in the same way. Nothing better than home made cornbread and those cocktails looked great as well. We remember the days when we too could buy fresh corn from a country stand. Hope yours is delicious with dinner.

Susie said...

Linda, I am so happy to be back on line. I have missed so much. Seeing LD doing his favorite thing....work. I know that guy loves music but work seems to be the tops for him. LOL He just makes me laugh so happy there in that lying down picture. Wow, lots of goats. Your food looks very good as always. Blessings to all, stay safe. xoxo, Susie

Wanda said...

Your life at the farm is truly from a story book. Love all the animals and the kittens and goats are so adorable. All the food and country scenes make our being in lockdown worth is. I feel like I'm outside when I scroll through your pictures.

Sending love and hugs.

Latane Barton said...

Linda, your farm life is just so 'enchanting'. I never was much of a farm girl in reality but was in my dreams.

Deb J. in Utah said...

I wish I could get corn on the cob that cheap! This was a delicious post - so many yummy, mouth-watering things! Those kittens are so adorable and if I lived in your neck of the woods, I would be temped to come and get one. We have had lots of cats in the past, but none right now. Hope you enjoy this Memorial Day weekend!

Carole said...

Aww cute kittens - we had our own cat drama today - the next door neightbour's cat (who I call mini-me) chased 'our' cat Molly right up high into a tree. So off I went to get rid of mini-me - which took a bit of doing because she is too young to be scared - and then we talked quietly to Molly until she managed to get herself down... All well that end's well. Cheers

Buttercup said...

I loved every scrap of your post. I felt as though I was on vacation and had a good change of scene. Loved seeing the goats, the sunflowers and the food. I try not to envy people in other places, but I'd love the fresh corn. Oh my! I'd probably overdo it for more than a few days,but fresh corn really says summer. Take good care!

BeachGypsy said...

Love all the pretty country scenes, girlfriend! Especially the cheery sunflowers and those adorable kitties, they are so sweet! Oh my gosh I ADORE CORN ON THE COB---that looks so delicous. So glad y'all are in your "happy place" and are enjoying your stay in the peaceful countryside. Make lots and lots of pictures for us ok? Glad to hear Summer is doing so well, my goodness she just sails through it all doesn't she? So proud of her and I know you must be too. Hugs!

FABBY'S LIVING said...


You made me want to go to the countryside, as I am in quarantine still and sometimes I take a walk by the river just going down stairs from my home.
The weather is looking great at your end dear friend.
I'm sure you are enjoying your Memorial Day weekend.
Keep safe and happy sweetie.
Fabby

FABBY'S LIVING said...


I forgot to comment Linda, on your pretty country, 'new look header,' it's perfect and warm, just like you !
Fabby

photowannabe said...

The Ranch life fits you perfectly. I can see that your heart is happy...good food...good friends...even "good chores".
It's always a please to stop by your blog and see the critters and all the adventures you and LD are on.
Sue

photowannabe said...

Oh I meant to say it's always a pleasure to stop by...
Not a please..haha
Sue

LC said...

Keep sharing those wonderful pix and experiences--from gorgeous food and drink to activities of your humans and critters!

Carla said...

Okay I gained 15 lbs just reading this post. My shirt is wet from drool. LOL
It all looked and sounded so good. Love all the critters.
LD plans on being at the ranch more if he's putting in a garden..
David has the same problem he hates it that he can't do what he did when he was 40. And he doesn't accept that fact too well either. Men. LOL

Stay Safe