Friday, June 22, 2018

Memories of June 22nd in Years Past....and Our Friday

I love the Facebook Memories that come up every day. Such good reminders of happy times and sometimes gentle reminders of how much we have grown and coped and overcome things.

I have kept a handwritten diary for over 30 years and I will often take the one down from the year before and see what was going on back then. Then I take the one down from 5 years before - and 10 years - and 15 - 20 - 25- 30 years ago and can see my life as it was then and how it has changed over the years. I think it's a good thing to look back at where we have been and how far we have come and what we are hoping for in the future. In every one of my diaries, at the front it has a page 
called Predictions (Goals) For the New Year and at the end is a page called Reflections (Accomplishments) of the Year.
If we don't have goals, what are we working towards?
Nothing stays the same. 
Ever. 
We either go forward or drift back. 
We don't simply stay where we are.
We are always, always, always changing.

Louis Dean has a favorite quote his history teacher taught him when he was in college.

" History is a study of the past
in light of the present 
for the benefit of the future."


I usually post a photo on Facebook just about every day.
I missed a few years here and there......but here's a few of my June twenty-seconds.....

June 22, 2008
Amber and her Master Syncro Team practising for the Master Competition in Las Vegas later that year and they won GOLD!! Deanie and I were there to cheer them on!


June 22, 2011
Louis Dean paying Snowball some special attention!
Snowball was Amber's elderly cat that we drove all the way to Alabama to pick up from the ones who were keeping her while Amber and Mike were in Scotland when she became so ill she was about to die. The vet was amazed that she recovered and she went on to live for several more years!



June 22, 2011

Summer and I with the first snow cone of the season!





June 22, 2012
Summer and I made a road trip to Houston to see all the quads in the NICU!
Louis Dean was home repairing and working on our camper so we could take it down there and live in it so we could help Amber and Mike while the babies were little.


My first time to hold Harrison. 
Just 12 days before this - we nearly lost him.


This is a video link to Summer's Facebook video that day.

June 22, 2014
Mineral Wells State Park........


We had gone camping along with Deanie, Trish and Andie for our first and probably only camping adventure together!



June 22,2017
We were down here at the ranch and had gone into Waco for the afternoon.


Love Collin Street Bakery!

Today was hot in Texas!!!
So hot that Louis Dean had a hard time working in the front room. He would stay out 20 minutes and then pour water over his head, dry off a minute or two - it didn't take long in this heat - and come inside the camper where the AC was on.
We HAVE an AC for that room!
The room is closed in now except for the steps but we can cover that area  up with packing quilts.
WHY can't you put the unit in??

He insisted he needed some screening or whatever to prevent the coils from being damaged.
I thought that's why the AC has a cover on it - but what do I know??
So - as the temp toppled over the 100 degree mark - we drove to Waco. Nearly.
I had been contemplating good food that could be served cold on this hot day and came up with tuna salad. I had set a pan of eggs to boil on the hot plate in the front room.....and forgot about it until we were nearly to the highway. We turned around and came back - they were still boiling so those are sure gonna be some HARD boiled eggs! Then we left again. By this time it was 5:00.

He dropped me at HEB and he went on to Home Depot.
HEB is one of my Happy Places and on Friday nights - it's like a PARTY happening there!


I was in Hog Heaven when I spied these two exotic teas on CLEARANCE!!!
I was talking to Amber at the time and she loves all things coconut and pineapple and she got excited when I told her I was looking at a tea that had BOTH!!
Bottom line - they.were.on.clearance.
That meant that they would probably never be seen at HEB again.
Soooooo.......I bought every single box of these two teas on the shelf!
Then I had myself a happy little.....
***Happy Dance***
right there in the isle!

Dean and Sherry had gone to town earlier today and we all met up at the HEB parking lot.
Dinner, anyone? In town? On Friday night? SURE!!!!


We all went to our now favorite place - The Catch on Valley Mills.
Free beer!!!


GOOD food!!!
Catfish cooked just the way we like it!
I had a one piece basket and Sherry gave me one of her giant shrimp.
I may have to get next time - that shrimp was the BEST!
Dean and Sherry got regular baskets and Louis Dean ordered a JUMBO one!
He ate every bite!!
Of course he had not had anything to eat all day long except two blueberry bagels with peanut butter.
He said it was juts too hot to eat - which is why I was boiling eggs for tuna salad!

It's night now and not so hot.
I'm still inside the camper with the AC on.
Louis Dean is out in the front room fixing something about a plug.
I am hoping by this time tomorrow night, I will be in the front room blogging away listening to the hum of the AC!!


17 comments:

Bluebird49 said...

Sounds like a happy meal! (NOT a "Happy Meal"!)
I sure hope the next humming you hear is Louis Dean humming while he gets in the air conditioner! :)
<3

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

I love the FB memories too! I hope you can get the ac in the front room today!

Carol said...

I am thankful that you finally have air conditioning on and that you will soon have in your front room. We have finally gotten a break in the heat and humidity that we were experiencing but now we have rain. UGH!!!

Susie said...

Linda, I think with the way you have always written in your journals , you were meant to be a writer. A keeper of memories. What a fun time in town with Dean and Sherry. That looked like a good country supper. It will be great to get the AC in the big room. Dang girl, sure glad you remembered the eggs on the stove. Yes, salads and sandwiches are good on these hot days. Stay cool and hydrated. Blessings, xoxo,love you, Susie

Nancy Chan said...

I too enjoyed Facebook's memories! I like Louis' favourite quote! Hope your air con is back in working condition, it is very hot here too!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It is great to look back at what happened in years past. With my camera on the phone now I transfer pictures to the computer and over the years have accumulated a lot. I do hope you can soon have some a/c in the front room. It'll make working out there so much more pleasant. When it's hot like that fans only blow the hot air around and really don't do a lot at all. As I've gotten older I really can't tolerate much heat at all. Summer is just beginning and there will be a many more hot days to come. Hope you have a Super Saturday !

Changes in the wind said...

I have tried different time to journal but to no avail. Writing something everyday becomes a chore to me but I do write when there is something special, more difficult, challenging and etc. Hope you get that AC running soon.

DUTA said...

I like the history teacher's Quote.
I've tried to keep a diary but after a while I got weary and said to myself - what's important is living the experiences , not writing about them.

MadSnapper said...

we have no screen on our little window unit, I am wondering what he means. this heat with out ac is just not doing at my age. I lived until I was 40 with no ac, but now I can't breathe if I don't have it.. hope he gets it going today. I can see where the memories work for you of Fb because you journal/blog/fb all the things that happen or that you do. it is a good on line journal.

Hootin Anni said...

What a glorious book of memories!!

Judy said...

It’s always fun to ‘look back’ at the memories! Nothing stays the same. Hope your AC is soon working as it should. Stay cool...and keep making memories (and recording them)!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I like to look back at my blog and see what I was doing at different times. That's about as far back into the past as I like to go! heehee! Enjoy your weekend!

Estelle's said...

Linda..I enjoy your memories as much as you do...darling post!

The Feminine Energy said...

Oh Linda, I love EVERY SINGLE ONE of your blog posts! I'm so glad we're friends. xoxo Lovingly, Andrea

Rain said...

Hi Linda :) Those photos are memories are fantastic...snow cones...I haven't had one in years, they hurt me teeth lol...that catfish dinner looks fabulous, I'm a sucker for fried fish and chips! :)

You are so right about things changing...my motto is leave the past but learn from it, live in the present and enjoy each moment and work towards the future with hopes and goals. I'm usually successful at this! :)

Enjoy your hot weather with the AC!
Alex and I decided against the AC this summer, we're trying to save money...today I'm starting to wilt though. Straightening my hair is futile lol...we'll buck up and get through it though! :)

Carole said...

Free beer! Wow!

Debbie said...

you have some beautiful memories, i don't have those pop up on Facebook. i use my blog as a journal of sorts, it not as much detail but i don't think i would keep up with something hand written!!

if the shrimp is what i think it is in that picture (upper left) it looks amazing!!!