Monday, June 26, 2017

A Busy Country Weekend!

Friday morning Grandson Robert and I went to 'town.' This time to Mart to shop at Leon Junction, Virginia's Antique and Thrift Sop and Read's Grocery Store.


On the way there we saw hundreds and hundreds of barn swallows.
There were swarms of them and every mile or so we would run into another swarm!

Facebook photo from Leon Junction Country Crafts

I love browsing through Leon Junction and came out with a Cotton Blossom Candle!
At Read's I bought Louis Dean a big rib eye steak since he was going to be working so hard on that roof!


Grandson Robert pulled up the old fire pit, filled it in and dug a new one complete with a 'new' old clothes dryer drum!


Father and son working together!


They are getting it done!


They all worked into the night and after Dean left, Robert and his granddad worked some more. 

I grilled the steak and fried some okra to go with the baked potatoes.


The squash and onions were for me.
These vegetables came from a friend of Dean's and he graciously gave them to us.

Louis Dean was so tired that night, he ate and went straight to bed.
Friday was the hottest day we have had down here so far and it was brutal.

The next morning (Saturday) when I woke up - he was already out there working again.
It was MUCH cooler than it was on Friday and we were so thankful!
He and Robert worked all afternoon together and I had just grilled some hot dogs and was serving them up with chili and all the trimmings when Don drove down. He was on his way to feed his horses and decided to come down and swap out the AC units since it was so cool. He ate along with us and then got to work.


It had been cool enough all day long that I had opened up all the windows and aired the camper out.
The cross breezes from the window and the opposite door is really nice.
I think it took him a little over two hours and he was done!
I stand amazed at the way God has continued to supply our every need.
Here we are in the country and yet an electrician comes by on his way to feed his horses!
We had to INSIST on him accepting payment!  

Robert and I ate earlier while Louis Dean worked on......


but I did fix him a Big Country Breakfast for a Late Night Supper before we all went to bed.

This morning (Sunday) Robert and I went down to do Critter Care since Dean and Sherry were away.


It's always a treat to see the peacock in all his glory.
The horses had wrecked havoc down by their cage where the critter feed is kept.
They knocked over the heavy metal feed container and I was happy that Robert was with me or I would never have been able to upright it.


Robert and his granddad spent a good part of the day working on the roof.
I have learned that a roof comes in three parts......the decking.....


and the felt. The tin goes on next.....


I worked on the special dinner to celebrate Sherry!
I wanted to honor her with a delicious meal......
I was to par boil the new potatoes and corn on the cob.
Alas, I underestimated the amount of time my hot plate would cook these.
I opted to prepare the potatoes as a side dish and not include them in the foil packets to grill.

Just as Louis Dean was tiring out......help arrived!


He decided to play the 'Old Man' card and lo, and behold!


His son and grandson took over and Louis Dean was one happy camper!!


By day's end, the felt was all up and most of the tin!
We will go to Waco in the morning to get the last few pieces.
The roof is practically a done deal!

My meal tonight was to be grilled.....


and Sherry had a great tool for charcoal cooking.....
You put the charcoal in the little chimney and you stuff the bottom with newspaper and light that and in a few minutes - the charcoal is ready! I'm going to buy one at Home Depot tomorrow.


The packets contain corn on the cob, shrimp, smoked sausage, minced garlic and is seasoned with Old Bay Seasoning, fresh squeezed lemon slices and melted butter.


It's not as pretty as the dish I saw on Facebook but it was good and everyone liked it!
I will try it again!
It's Shrimp Boil Foil Packets if you want to Goggle the recipe.

This has been out THIRD weekend here at the ranch.
We have so enjoyed having Robert with us and he has been SUCH a help to his granddad.
He is planning on going home in the next day or two. 
WE are actually planning on going home soon as well.
One more weekend and I think it will be time to leave.
We have accomplished a lot in the last few weeks and will accomplish still more before we are gone.
Just to be so welcome here is such a blessing and to see God's hand in all of this humbles me.
Louis Dean has been such a big part of my family's life and I have become a part of his son's and grandson's life. 
Life is good and I am grateful!




10 comments:

Linda said...

I look forward to these reports. Rural life is very different than city life. Some good, some bad in both. If I ever think about living in the country I remind myself I'm too old for that. Need to stay close to doctors. It's wonderful though to have a country place to retreat to when you need a change of pace. That's the best of both worlds. Have all the fun you can while you're able.

Ginny Hartzler said...

It looks almost done!!! And you are feeding the workers such yummy food! It looks so cozy out in the dark, all lit up. The peacock is in his mating finery! Now, if he can just find a pea hen!

Vee said...

Moving right along down there in spite of the heat. I have been seeing those crazy hot temps in Arizona, Texas, and points south. You'll be able to bake cookies on the tin roof! 😉

Much pace-yourselves progress in this last week of intense work. You folks do impress me all to pieces and everything looks wonderful. So glad that you have working AC now!

Arlene G said...

Y'all have stayed a long time Linda but then you had a lot to do. We enjoyed a cool day yesterday after some very hot days. I am planning a birthday dinner for Amelia on Wednesday. She celebrates on July 2nd and we will be back in GA. As always amazed at LD's stamina!!

MadSnapper said...

I miss our grill, it died a year ago, he will not go with me to buy a new one. I am hoping he will feed better now and will get one. this meal sounds wonderful. that roof is looking good keep on roofing LD

Changes in the wind said...

With all working together much can get done...a great blessing indeed.

Kathy said...

I am totally amazed at all LD can do. But so glad he got help from his son and grandson. The food looks so good. I know you will hate leaving the country, but I'm sure you are looking forward to seeing the quads in the city.

Susie said...

Linda, Tell LD he has to get that room done...so he can get his sexy back...doing dishes. LOL. That is one wonderful working man. I love the fact that the young men helped out and are learning what good dedication can accomplice. Great meals going on down at the ranch. You sure can wipe up some tasty meals. Blessings and hugs to all of you. love, xoxo, Susie

Hootin Anni said...

In that one picture, he looks worn out and hot! Hope he's not getting over-worked out there. "Cool enough to have the camper windows open?" Wow....must be nice.

Carole said...

Great work on the roof! Wish we had some of your heat here - very cold (but fine) today. I'm 5 foot 4 so you are one of the few people that are shorter! Actually I am quite tall sitting down - if you know what I mean - long body and short little legs! Cheers