Thursday, February 3, 2011

Denim Squares.....by the HUNDREDS!

I may actually have denim squares by the THOUSANDS! Drawers and drawers of them all sorted according to colors since they are all the same size! I prefer the six inch squares for my projects. I have whacked up more old blue jeans and denim shirts than I can count! This all comes in handy when I want to make a Baby Gift. I have been making crib size denim quilts for the last six or seven years. This is usually my baby gift of choice when I hear a loved one is expecting. This time it is my brother's youngest son and his wife....who happen to be living in Hawaii! Lonnie's son, Bryan, is in the service and will be deployed shortly after the baby's birth.....which is just about any day now. SO I best get a move on with this quilt! I made Bryan one several years ago......as a matter of fact.....I would be hard pressed to guess the number of denim quilts I have made! The very FIRST  was for my daughter, Amber. I used much smaller squares for that one and alternated the denim with flannel from her favorite sheets.....little lambs with fluffy blue and white background clouds. The second one was for my son, Benjamin.....I made it KING sized using twelve inch squares and backed it with red flannel using red yard to tie it together. THAT was one big quilt!

I love making the crib size.....usually seven squares across and nine squares down. For this gift I am making each row a bit different......and I can't wait to see how it turns out! A good activity on this cold and icy February afternoon! I am off to SEW some more......

8 comments:

Luann said...

I love mine sis and have been using it daily with all of this cold weather. Thank you so much for making it for me.

Jenner said...

I've always been fascinated by quilt making. The end product is such a terrific gift, definitely something that can be passed down generations AND used a lot!

Robin@DecoratingTennisGirl said...

Can't wait to see the finished product! I know it will be great!!! xoxo

peggy said...

We all love denim and never want to give something up made of it. That's a great idea, Linda!

bj said...

I can't believe the weather ya'll are having in Dallas area.
Hope you can stay inside and sew on your quilt..
I would never have known junk was in had it not been for FUNKY JUNK INTERIORS. She is sooo good at it..it is sooo hard for me to get used to using in my own home.
The party was fun,tho.:)
xo bj

Deb said...

I love quilts...denim is great it last so well...

Susan McClaskey said...

I love the idea of upcycling jeans! And into a baby quilt. What a great idea. I'd love to see a finished one. Have you shown any in your posts? I'm intriqued!
Best,
Susan

Carla said...

You need to post a picture of that quilt when you're done. I'd love to see what you do since you're the craftiest lady I know. ;o)
Sorry you didn't get to make it down this way but maybe later.