Saturday, October 19, 2019

Singing, Cookie House, Swamp Donkeys, New Oils and a Visit From Summer - Our Friday and Saturday

We left home around 10:00 Friday morning and didn't get back home until 10:00 that night!
First we went to Fort Worth to visit Lillian in the nursing home, stopping to get a few groceries for her and pick up pizzas.

It was a pizza party with chocolate cake in the corner living room there at Trail Lake Nursing Home.
We bought extra pizza so we would have plenty to share.
The aids and staff would wander down and listen to the music for a few minutes and get a piece of cake or a slice of pizza.


Louis Dean was in his element!


He's like a Star here - a tall, dark, handsome man with a big Martin guitar!
The ladies all but swoon when they see him coming down the hall.


Lillian was so happy!
She had just had her hair done and was wearing make up for the first time since I can remember!
Roberta (101 years old) and her roommate, Brenda, joined us.
The home has recently been doing some renovations and it's looking much more attractive.
Also the residents who were in a room by themselves are all slowly but surely getting roommates.
On our last visit, when I wheeled Roberta back to her room she couldn't even get her wheelchair in there! Her new roommate had lots of visitors and one of them was in a wheelchair.
They apologized and said they would be leaving soon - that it had been a long day.
I was rather put out with them and Roberta was out right mad and I didn't blame her.
She wheeled herself back out the doorway and said over her shoulder, "I'll just go across the hall to Brenda's room!"

Well, it turns out that last week they moved Brenda in with Roberta and the other lady across the hall and gave her a new roommate. I think this is going to work out well.
Brenda is younger than I am and she takes French class at a local college.
She is good at speaking up when Roberta needs some attention and Roberta is very good to Brenda.

Lillian's roommate seems to be doing well. She only speaks Spanish and she talks a lot - in Spanish - while Louis Dean is trying to sing. He was a little frustrated at one point and then Lillian asked me a question and he just stopped playing for a bit. 
There was plenty of  'elderly' to go around!
Later I told him that he needed to get used to just playing regardless if there was some conversation going on. He said he couldn't. I said then it would be best not to go anymore.
"But if you want an audience," I said, "you need to realize you are an old man just as they are old people and you can't tell them what to do anymore than anyone can tell YOU what to do!"
I was saying some of his own words back to him!
I think it worked because he's already talking about when he's going again and it won't be until December. I may have to repeat my conversation to him on our way over then.
He tends to forget!! Don't we all?

I turned Waze on to get directions from the nursing home to the Bells in Dallas.
We were leaving at 3:00 and traffic can be bad and, sure enough, we bypassed several accidents and heavy traffic from construction work by going through downtown Fort Worth and ended up on the tollway heading to Dallas. It only took an hour and 15 minutes.

We love getting to see the kids and they seem to love seeing us!


I had brought a Haunted Cookie House for us to do.
That was a job!
The icing provided in the kit did NOT glue the house together!
Amber suggested hot glue but the kids and I went with the icing.....until the house came apart for the THIRD time! Amber walked back through the kitchen at that moment and said, "Do y'all need...."
Before she could finish it - we were all saying in unison - "We need the hot glue!"
Logan added, "Because this has turned into a hot mess!"
Even then - with four set of hands helping me - the house was still not staying together.
That's when the kids went in the living room and told Granddad, "MeeMaw needs your help!"
He got it to stay together and then they all went in and used the icing in the kit to add all the candy decorations. Win! WIN!!!

Mike put the pizzas in to cook and the rest of us went out to the front yard.
It was beautiful!!
We watched them jump rope, ride their racers and have fun.
I love hearing them say, "MeeMaw! Watch THIS!!!!" 
Times FOUR!!

Even Mike had some cool show and tell things to show us.
He plays hockey and they finally got their team jerseys.


The team is called the Swamp Donkeys!!!


Trystan found this beautiful acorn with the tiny ones on top.
I love how she loves finding beauty in nature and felt special that she wanted to share it with me.


It was a Popcorn, Pizza and Coke Movie Night!
They said I went with them to see this in the theater but I really didn't remember it!
Perhaps it was Grandmommy who saw it with them.
It was a clever movie and I totally enjoyed it!
Granddad sat beside me on the couch and slept through most of it -  but he was there!
And that's what counts! Showing up and being there!

Amber had been through a couple of traumatic days with Kailey being sick, Mike out of town and all sorts of things going wrong. By Friday afternoon things had righted themselves for the most part and she was packing for a Getaway with her Synchro group. They swam together for many years and have stayed a close tight knit bunch of friends.

However, even though she had more packing to do - she stopped it all for movie night and then painted all the girls fingernails - with glow in the dark paint!!
She is the best mom!!!

On our way home the toll road entrance was closed and we had to use our Waze once again.
Driving at night is not easy at all anymore! Even with my night driving glasses. But those glasses at least make it possible!


It was a long day and I was still struggling with my allergies - so I made a hot toddy and found these cough drops! It felt good sliding into bed last night!

I must have been really tired because it was noon before I even left the bedroom today.
It was a Stay at Home day and I have loved every minute of it!


Friday - between the grocery store and picking up pizzas - I shopped Hobby Lobby.
ALL their Master's Touch art supplies were 50% off!!!
I was thrilled! I bought a set with lots of paint plus some brushes and an easel.
Plus another set of regular sized tubes of oil....and more brushes....and canvasses.
Today I found an old rusty tackle box of Louis Dean's and he cleaned it up for me.
It held all my new paint perfectly!


I found another old tackle box for all my old paint.
As long as you can squeeze it out of the tube - it's too good to throw away!

I spent mush of the afternoon cleaning house and packing things to take to the ranch - as in my art supplies. I hope to finish all my Christmas painting while I am down there this trip.
I've even planned some new projects.

Summer came to visit early this evening.
We were so glad to see her!


She had some show and tell things!
How cool is this Notebook Grill?
You should see her van! All decked out and so cozy!


She and her good friend, Karen, recently returned from a short trip to the coast.
Karen sent me a gift! Just because!
I am going to love that tea! Maybe a cup tonight before bed.
I am finally starting to feel like my allergies are backing off. At least a little!
Plus she sent a bag of mini faux pumpkins and gourds.
I am taking them to the ranch with me.

Summer helped Louis Dean do some things printer/computer related.
She is brilliant at that sort of thing.
My friend, Sandra - aka Mad Snapper - helped me today.
Thanks to her I watched a movie on my laptop from Amazon Prime.
It was a Tommy Lee Jones film from 2009.
Summer gave me another two recommendation - both British movies....
The Bookshop and This Beautiful Fantastic.

We had the best visit - once Louis Dean let her out of his sight!
He was delighted she can figure out what he cannot!
We sat in the living room with our ice tea and talked and talked.
We don't get to do that enough.

A little update on her health.....
the last set of injections did not do nearly as well as the first and did not give her any actually pain free days but she was grateful for even a reduction of pain. She will see the doctor again and determine when she will move on to the last option....I think it's called a spinal stimulator.

I'm excited about this coming week.
Saturday, October 26 is her 55th birthday and she will be spending it with us down at he ranch.
Then that night we are all invited to a Halloween party!
We have a lot to look forward to and I can't wait to get back to the country!




22 comments:

Jackie said...

Linda, you can tell Summer that my husband has had a spinal stimulator for about two years now. It is magical. NO more back pain. He had had like three major back surgeries and not one of them helped. The stimulator was a last resort (I guess because of insurance rules, you have to try everything else first). He has not even had to turn it on for about 6 months now. Best thing ever. Too bad they cannot start with that. If she has any questions about this stimulator he would be glad to help her.
Love you and your posts. Keep ‘me coming. Also love your paintings. Hope I am on the list for a Christmas card this year.
Your friend,
Jackie
St. Louis, MO

BeachGypsy said...

Time to head back to the country!!--and I'm looking forward to hearing of y'alls adventures and seeing pictures of the country in the Fall. I know you are anxious to GO!!--to your happy place. Enjoyed catching up with all you've been up to this week, you do more in a day than I do in a week! LOL Loved hearing about the pizza popcorn Coke movie nights....they sure sound fun. Sure hope they can figure out something to REALLY HELP Summer, she sure deserves it and to live life w/out pain. Thinking of her...

Linda said...

If your last name is Collins, we go back a few years! I still love all the Snowmen things from you! And I have been praying for Jason every day for months now. Love how Blog friendships bless and enrich my life! Thank you for reaching out to me regarding Summer. She may very well take you up on the offer. Success stories are the juice that keeps her going! We will be in touch. Love you, girl!!!

Kathy said...

I do not know how you do everything you do. I would be exhausted. I pray for Summer and I will now pray that this stimulator helps her. How great it would be to have an end of her pain. I think the little spooky gingerbread house looks so fun. I have never been able to put one of those things together. But then I have never used hot glue!

MadSnapper said...

I am having a hard time deciding what to comment on. again lots of things going on. try this with LD.. tell him when people listen to radio, they still chat and do other things. or maybe not. I did smile at your conversation because We do the same thing on the repeat. ha ha.... did not realize Summer is about to become a senior citizen, my son will be 55 in Feb. love the tiny grill. I had to laugh when I got to the swamp donkey part because from your title I was waiting to see a new painting of a swamp donkey and thinking I might want one. the donkey and the painting. love the name of their team.

Susie said...

Linda, Talking about old people I see it with my sisters. They live as neighbors in a complex just for seniors. Sometimes they grumble about their neighbors. I tell them , just say hi, be cordial and get on with your own lives. You do not have to eat their foods they make and share, or go in their apartments, just be nice. LOL Some old people are happy and some are grumpy...please God let me one of the happy one. LOL You and Ld have been very busy. It 's fun whenever you are at the quad house. Love seeing what all you do there. Praying for sweet Summer girl to get some true relief from her pain.
Blessings to all, love you, xoxo, Susie

Stacy said...

I work in a dementia unit at a nursing home and you can tell Louis Dean not to take it personally. It can be frustrating, trust me, I KNOW! But they have short attention spans and mercurial mood changes. What holds their interest and inspires participation can't be counted on to bring the same effect the next time. You just do the best you can and take your cues from them.

Vee said...

You weave a tale so well. I have always loved my visits. I hung on every word of Louis Dean’s song...old dogs and children and watermelon wine... It is odd how people everywhere ignore the music or the talk or whatever.it.is. Rude! But as you say, sometimes the filters slip as we grow older. I’m sure mine have. 🤣

Suggestion: Royal Icing will keep anything together, if you ever have need of making another little house. Good to know that Kailey is on the mend. Amber is an amazing mom and I like that she knows how to care for herself, too. So many moms don’t.

Happy ranching! You’ll have plenty of paint for staying busy.

Changes in the wind said...

I too have trouble with people talking while singing karaoke but like you said just need to ignore it and move on. I am sure the rest home loves your visits as well as the residents. Special time with family, the quads and Summer. Hope that new procedure would be the ticket for pain free life. I know you are looking forward to going to the ranch and so happy you have that in your life.

Arlene G said...

Have fun at the ranch!! I like how you and Louis Dean make the rounds before you leave to see everyone so you can enjoy your time away. We have had a nice weekend at Tybee Island but I am ready for my own bed tomorrow night.:) Have a safe trip!!

Bluebird49 said...

I get how Louis feels -- it drives Ed crazy when people get to talking over his music. But, a time of music and food gives folks the op to socialize; they're kind of using the music as background music! I know it seems a distraction to the player, but as you said, look at the situation as if you are in their position.

I loved hearing what the Bells are up to always, and hope that Summer can get the back treatment that seems to help others so much. Chronic pain is quite exhausting. Glad you two had some time, and that LD got some tech advice!
That Halloween House was so cute and those four are just the best. Glad Kailey is better and that Amber can get girl time.
You got some good deals on paints and I can't wait to see what you get done at the ranch.
It does my heart good to hear about your wonderful life. I sort of live vicariously through you a bit now. 😊
Hope you have a great Sunday, and some sweet days ahead at the ranch.

photowannabe said...

I do understand the frustration of the ever changing mood swings and inattention of the nursing home.
I am now one of the caregivers for my friend, Lynne.
She is in the early stages of Alzheimers and her attention span gets less every time I am there.
Memory loss is a tragic things and so hard to keep positive when around it.
You had a great day and are so full of compassion.
I love when the day is full of friends and family and crazy houses that you can't make stick the way you want...great for LD coming to the rescue.
I always love coming here and reading about your adventures.
Sue

Sue said...

I just love your life, Linda, you have one adventure right after the other. My husbands says," a busy person is a happy person," need I say more.
I always enjoy my visits,
Blessings,
Sue

Ginny Hartzler said...

It sounds like your coming week will be a blast! I cannot WAIT to see pictures of it all! The Mad One is so awesome. She has helped me so many times, and is an excellent teacher. I love Hobby Lobby! The nearest one is an hour away though. But I still get there a few times a year. That acorn is amazing, not many people would see something that mall and camouflaged. I am convinced that the nursing home is your chosen calling from God. Oh MY, the joy you bring them all!!!

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Lillian sound like she’s doing well! Glad Roberta got a new roommate, too!

You hit the jackpot with the paint sale! You’ll put it too good use!

Poor LD! I don’t think they mean to be rude, but maybe just aren’t thinking straight about what’s going on, when they talk!

Carole said...

I watched Poms this week - a nice movie about a bunch of old gals in a retirement communtity who set up a cheer team. I think you would enjoy it. Cheers

Great-Granny Grandma said...

There's so much in this post I don't know what to comment on first. LD did a fine job--even if some of the ladies talked while he played. I enjoyed listening to him sing with his guitar, and hope he didn't take it personally. They probably didn't realize they were being rude. And what a great bargain you got on all those paints. Looking forward to seeing what you paint with them.

Nancy Chan said...

Interesting and fun post. Hope something can be done so that Summer would not have to suffer so much pain. Referring to your comment on my post, if you are interested, I can share the yam rice or yam cake recipe with you.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

You both bring so much joy into the lives of others and that joy comes back to you with all your family and friends. I couldn't keep up with all you do and applaud your efforts. Nice you Nice you are headed to the ranch. I'm hoping your busy life style gets a break. although I know you probably have plans to do a lot there too. Try to get some rest and relax awhile.

photowannabe said...

I can't wait for you to get back to the country again too.
More adventures and beautiful things to see and do.
I love coming here and peeking into your life.
Have a terrific week.
Sue

Jackie Mitchell said...

Linda, I @m the Jackie that commented about my husband having the spine stimulator. My last name is Mitchell. I c@n be found on FB under Jacquelyn Saali Mitchell
I am a friend indeed.

Debbie said...

it sounded like things were going well at the nursing home, and that ld received a warm welcome!! sometimes older residents loose their manners and their attention span, i hope ld doesn't take it personally!!!

i don't use waze, it really drains the battery on my phone. i like google maps, it has never failed me. i already know what happens when you get to the country...i am reading backwards!!!