Saturday, January 27, 2024

Home Again! HOME Again!

 On Wednesday I decided it was time to go home.

The bitter cold was gone but now there was a lot of rain! 
The ducks were down swimming in our fire pit!


The ground was so saturated that the septic tank wasn't working so both bathrooms were struggling.
We started cleaning and packing up in preparation to leaving around noon on Thursday!

Alas, it was nearly 4:00 before we were able to drive to the gate.
First - Louis Dean could NOT find his wallet!
We searched everywhere and I DID find his watch and a few other missing items.
After two hours of looking, I checked the pockets of a pair of overalls hanging in the bedroom and there it was!!

We finished loading the truck with everything but the cats and my purse - and he couldn't find his keys! I had an extra set with me so I wasn't really worried - until he cried Uncle and we loaded the cats and - MY key fob for the security thingy didn't work!

Another hour and more went by!
He decided they HAD to be in the pockets of one of his overalls - we had been there 27 days so ALL of our clothes were in clear laundry bags!
He unloaded the truck and looked through them all.
I decided to double check and I started going through the dirty clothes - BINGO!!


I am now the Official Keeper of the Keys and Wallet!


Let's go home!!!


We stopped at our favorite 'stopping place' in Hillsboro - 
The Lone Star Cafe!
Our nerves were a bit frazzled but we calmed down and started laughing about everything!


Louis Dean is so cute and he was so upset with himself.
"What a bone headed thing to do!!" he said.


I reassured him that it's NOT his fault!
It's not like he loses things on purpose!


I do need to be more cognizant of what I need to to do so this doesn't keep happening.
I'll be ordering more 'tiles' that you can attack to items and then track them with a beeping noise.
And hopefully I can keep enough of my wits about me as my memory isn't all that great either!

It's kind of exciting driving through Dallas on our way home.


The sunset was reflected in the sky scrapers and office buildings.


This is on Stemmons Freeway - photo taken through our cracked windshield!


We barely made it home before dark!
The moon was already rising.

 Louis Dean unloaded and I started working on the huge piles of laundry - from clothes to linens to covers to towels - it was a LOT!
Good thing we have a LOT of clothes!

I took a long hot shower and washed my hair and then he took a glass of wine and sat in a tub of hot scented water for nearly an hour!

The cats seemed happy to be back!
Just about the time they start to get bored - we go somewhere else!
They did not make one single PEEP on the way home.

Friday morning I woke up and the first thing I thought of was - where are the truck keys???
I found the key but not the security fob!
My car had a flat tire and now we couldn't drive the truck!
Just after a good night's sleep and recovering from the day before - we were at it again!

I win 3 out of 3 in finding the missing item!
After examining the defective fob, I used a pin to pull out some lint and decided to try it one more time! When I went out to truck - and was hunched down under the steering wheel - THERE was the fob! It must have come unhooked from Louis Dean's key chain.

We didn't go anywhere on Friday but I was glad we COULD have if we had needed to do so!

I talked to my son, Jesse, on Friday and he and Rachel came over Saturday morning for breakfast!


We had a good visit and spent some time planning our Spring Break retreat to the mountain cabin in New Mexico. I've bot been there in the winter before so I am super excited!


Jesse is my Knight in Shining Armor!
I have so many 'Knights' with Louis Dean at the top of the list!
Son Dean and Benjamin and Mike along with Jesse - they all step up and help us and I am so grateful!


Jesse has been there for me so many times during the past - always saying, "Yes, Mom! I can help you with that!"
Turns out I needed ALL new tires!!
Louis Dean and I didn't even have to leave the house!
Jesse and Rachel did it all!


Not only that but he updated and 'repaired' my computer as well as Louis Dean's.
I love his new glasses!
He is so handsome and such a good man!

We went straight home Thursday instead of going up to see June at the hospital.
She was in Arlington and Amber was coming over to get me on Friday morning.


I was too late to say goodbye as she passed peacefully Thursday evening.

Kimmy sent this pic of June and Benjamin this afternoon.
It's no secret that Ben was her favorite!

I have sorrow over missing that last chance to see her but I have great joy in knowing she is in heaven!

Kimmy and I have talked and we have cried and LAUGHED!
Isn't it amazing how we can do that?

Kimmy has been a quiet cheerleader to all the ones she loves for years.
Most every morning, she sends out greetings and funny pics or thoughtful quotes to so many.

Praying for her and her sister, Traci, and Aunt Tommie and all June's nieces and nephews.




I will always remember the afternoon Benjamin and I went over and visited with June.
I took her what I thought was the very last of my Fruitcake Cookies.

This morning I poured my coffee and saw a tin on the coffee bar and thought, "Wonder what's in that?" I opened it up and it was full of fruitcake cookies!
I ate one in June's honor.......


22 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great post! I'm sorry about the problems/sorrows that happened, but am thankful that you and Louis Dean and Samantha and Tabitha got home safely. You almost stayed the month!🤗
Jesse's such a good, (and good-looking), kind son! All of your kids (and grandkids!) are beautiful blessings!
Enjoy your Sunday! Love, Trudy

Ginny Hartzler said...

I'm so sorry about June. You should work for the F.B.I. locating missing people!! I'm so glad you found everything! That food sure looks good! Jesse is looking so distinguished and handsome.

Anonymous said...

God Bless you and your wonderful family/life. RIP June.

Anonymous said...

Still have trouble getting email notifications…..Linda Chapman

Rita said...

Goodness! I am glad you are in charge of the keys from now on. And glad you made it home okay. Beautiful sunset!

Your family is there for you and so very wonderful! They are a true blessing!

Sorry about June. She absolutely knew how much you all loved her, though.

Have a peaceful Sunday! :)

Linda said...

I love being in the country but it IS good to be home!

Judy said...

Life is an adventure, isn't it? And you always seem to know how to make the best of it...when things don't go as planned! It seems we all lose stuff more easily these days. Funny, but we both forgot where we had parked the truck tonight after a few hours of watching the grands play basketball. Thankful the fob helped us find it in the dark.

Sorry for your loss in the passing of June!

Granny Marigold said...

I'm sorry for your loss but so glad June is now in heaven.
Isn't it great to have all the Knights in shining armour? What would we do without them?
I love that picture of the orange sky taken through your windshield.
So beautiful.

Estelle's said...

I am sorry for the loss of your dear friend June...how lovely to have enjoyed such a long friendship.....and it's always an adventure following your little excursions.....

MadSnapper said...

ha ha on Ginny's comment about working for the FBI.. maybe you could get the FBI to give you your own agent to keep track of lost items. one thing for sure, there is never a dull moment. good idea to put the beeper on more items, keys and wallets are the most important.
sorry the rain chased you home but I know how much you love both places, so from home to home is a good thing. and you made it while driving after dark. Sorry your friend June has gone to her home in heaven. You are totally blessed with your family and their support of you...yes, Jesse is handsome and kind and good.

Susie said...

Linda, I love you and your sweetheart L.D. I am thankful you are calm. My patience is almost gone. LOL Tearing my hair out has practically made me bald. Your son Jesse is very handsome. Like eye candy girl. You are blessed with wonderful children, they all help you and LD. You raised them right. Sorry about your dear friend June. You can have special moments of fond memories. Sending warm hugs. Blessings, xoxo,love, Susie

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Glad you made it safely home and can enjoy those good cookies! you are always giving them away and deserve some for yourself too. Like you I depend on my son's help all the time. We are blessed with wonderful sons! Take good care and good luck on the keys !

Debby said...

Welcome back home! Sorry to hear about June. 😢

photowannabe said...

Precious memories, how they linger
How they ever flood my soul;
In the stillness of the midnight
Precious, sacred scenes unfold.
As I travel on life's pathway,
Know not what the years may hold;
As I ponder, hope grows fonder,
Precious memories flood my soul.
by
John B.F. Wright

Love you Linda
Sue

Anonymous said...

Love seeing you reply to those who reply to you. Fun fun . Pamela does that with Closed Windows… sorry about your dear friend. Happy you have it together for your sweet husband. Wonderful blog Brenda

Anonymous said...

Sorry Susie… I know you miss your husband. Brenda

Jackie See said...

Hello Linda, It is nice to see you home again. I am sending you our prayers and blessings in the loss of your dear neighbor. The pictures you shared of such happy times made me smile as I thought about your loss. You have dealt with so much loss these past years. I pray for you and LD daily and think of you so often. My back has had a set back with the cold weather and walking is now a challenge, but I expect improvement when we can get outside and enjoy the weather. Keep smiling and checking those fobs. O need one for my J. R. at the grocery store!! Love to all, ~jackiesee~

Arlene G said...

Glad you made it home safely Linda. I admire you for allowing people to help you. One of the frustrating things with my mother was that she resented any help. I tell myself that as I age, take the help and be thankful for it. God Bless your son, Jesse. He is a good man that you raised! And my heart goes out to Louis Dean...bless his heart...he cannot adjust to this season of life. I am sure it is hard to feel you are causing problems for others. I think that you being in charge of wallet and keys is a great idea. Love you both...

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Oh my goodness, what an adventure. Glad you were able to find everything and you are home safe.
The photo of the sun reflecting on the windows is beautiful. That must have been an awesome sight.
Your son sounds like a real blessing.
Sorry you didn't get to see June before she passed, but findng the cookies and having one in her honor made me smile.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

First, Linda, my sincere condolences on the passing of your friend, June, and as for not being there, rest assured she did appreciate all of your other visits. Glad you and Louis Dean made it some safely after the lost wallet and keys, that thankfully were found. You did get to see a beautiful sunset over Dallas. Kudos f=to jesse for being so helpful with the tires and computer fixes. Going away is nice, but nothing beats being back home -- until the next trip to New Mexico.

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

It is so darn frustrating to misplace things and then to find them in such obvious places at times...after you have looked forever! So very sorry about the loss of your dear friend. You were just meant to have some of those cookies left to toast to June. Take care.

LC said...

I, too, am. in that stage of life where dear relatives have gone to be with the Lord. I admire your patience, courage and determination to keep on going, loving and doing and brightening the lives of this around you. LC