Thursday, January 11, 2024

Our Second Week at the Ranch

 I woke up shortly after 7:00 Monday morning to a huge thunderstorm!
The loudest cracks of thunder I've heard in many a year!


And the winds were HOWLING!


It rained so hard on top of already wet ground!
Louis Dean slept right through it.

The rain came in bands but the winds were continuous and awful!
They redistributed all the things on the outside decks AND they blew in some pretty bad allergy stuff!
Louis Dean started coughing that afternoon and it was even worse on Tuesday.


It was cold - but not nearly as cold as it's going to  be this weekend!
We sat in the  bathroom in front of the Dearborn heater and had our coffee after he finally woke up.
Samantha's nest was disturbed so she huddled in the corner of the shower!


Monday we had three meals! That's unusual for us!
Normally we only have two - or ONE with extra snacks.
Bacon, eggs and biscuits for breakfast, tuna salad sandwiches for lunch and grilled smoked sausage with baked sweet potatoes for supper.

Dosed Louis Dean before he went to bed with some NyQuil we had on hand.

Tuesday Louis Dean was working on a light switch - it blew a breaker and he had started working on it Monday. His memory isn't good and he was taking it slow - step by step so he wouldn't mess up.

I was rehanging some of my fairy lights and needed a taller ladder!


He insisted I take a pic and video!


I was just funning him!
But he held on to me and I did what I wanted to do!
Win! WIN!!!


Tuesday's breakfast was hot oatmeal, bacon and toast!


Lunch was nachos for me and leftovers for him!

I have been staying busy and so far I have stayed well!
I've outgrown most of my allergies so I have been reading, painting, writing, cleaning and nesting.


Finishing up this one even as I browse Santa paintings for this year.

In watching the weather - because that's what we DO at this time of year - I saw we would be having some seriously low temps coming.
When we left home on December 30th, we expected to be back in a couple of weeks.
So we did NOT leave the house in shape for bitter cold temps.

I reached out to son Jesse and he went over and drained and unhooked the water hoses.....

of which there are many!


He turned the heat on and, as an added precaution, turned off the water to the entire house.
Praise God and thank you, Jesse!
What a blessing to have family to help in times like this.
Louis Dean says we need to have a 'Jesse Appreciation Day' when we get back home and take him out to a good restaurant!

Wednesday was our errand day and Louis Dean drove us to town shortly after lunch.
He was feeling a little worse than the day before but I didn't really want to leave him.

I think getting out may have been good for him.
We first stopped to get our propane tanks filled, then on to Walgreens for Rx.
That took a LONG time as Louis Dean has a new insurance card and apparently we needed another card which we did NOT have! Bless the kind lady who kept at it and didn't give up. LD left his phone at the ranch so I made two trips out to the truck to get more info. She finally found him with the last 4 digits of his SS#. She assured me we would NOT have to go through this again!
I thanked her profusely for her kindness and perseverance. I have been entertaining the thought of transferring our prescriptions to CVS but am now thinking I will stay with Walgreens.
The medicine we got is for his memory and I didn't want him to lose any ground.

Next stop?.


Aldi!
I had a list and wanted to make sure we have all we need for the next week since serious winter weather is coming!

HEB was my next stop for the few items Aldi did not carry.
Atwood's to return some western shirts I'd bought for Rayne.
She's growing up so fast and I didn't do a good job in keeping up with her sizes.
Finally Sam's to pick up some OTC medicines and then Read's Grocery store in Mart for some meat for meals next week! They have a great selection and an experienced butcher AND good prices.

We were exhausted by the time we got home at 'dark thirty.'
Sherry and Dean had made chicken tortilla soup and left some for us in the fridge.
We came in and put up groceries, ate that delicious soup and went right to bed!

Today was 70 degrees!
Open doors and no wind!


Tabitha has been looking out the door all day!
Four of the ducks come up here and, of course, I feed them!
Chicken Little is also a daily visitor.


I've been feeding them tortillas and they have been scarfing them up!


One of the mops came up and they are eyeing each other.


Pretty soon both cats were keeping watch at the door.


Now Samantha was eye to eye with Chicken Little.

Today has been a productive day.
Son Dean came down and he cut the carpet for the area in front of the sofa in the camper.

That sentence involved a lot more than it sounds.
He was such a good sport in making the carpet thing happen!
I was so wanting it to be in before the intense cold arrives and Dean did it!

One half of the camper is done and we will do the other half soon.
In the meantime - we are not only gearing up for the coming winter weather - but we're also excited about a dinner party tomorrow night with our friend, Rosey!

Life is good and we are thankful to be here in the country!
Thank you, Dean and Sherry, for all you do for us and your generous hospitality!



16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you two are having a good time out at the ranch!Love, Trudy

Changes in the wind said...

So glad you are able to stay warm and prepare for the weather.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Your weather sounds like ours...every day is different! We had a beautiful day yesterday and rain today. Enjoy your country time! Hugs to you both, Diane

Arlene G said...

Sounds like yall are doing well at the Ranch! Here we are home today because of inclement weather...hoping there are no tornados. The kids all have virtual school today. Then we get that cold weather next week. Fortunately Marvin always drains the water when we leave Grimmwood in the winter time. Thankful for brother in law Bruce, who is our Jesse and helps us out so much. Yall take care!!

MadSnapper said...

I am only 90 miles for Lavender Dreamer and she is right, our weather is swinging like a pendulum, we wear a sweat shirt in the am and sleevless in the pm and then dig out cold stuff then the hot stuff and our beloved sunshine has refused to shine. but no weather like yours beating on the roof, except for 10 minutes one day and 3 hours another day. just cloudy with some warma nd some cold. we have a storm for tonight and cold coming behind it but not like your cold. sorry LD is sick with a cold, hope he is feeling better.
I love the cats with theire TV door. live entertainment! what could be better and you and LD can watch the cats watching. love it. God bless you son and his wife for helping you and letting you have your country home there and also Jessie for saving the day for the freeze thats on the way.

Susie said...

Yikes Linda, My tummy hurts from reading of the events, other than the door visits of critters and cats. I loved all of that. I am a bit on edge here myself. We are in for high winds and super wind chills. I always worry of losing power and pipes freezing. I need to live in a cave. LOL But then it would be creepy crawly things. Have a nice time there and be safe always. Love you guys, blessings, xoxo, Susie

Debby said...

Your cats at the front door is cute - protecting their territory and spying on visiting critters. Sounds like a cozy time for you both at the ranch, making precious memories. Stay warm and safe. God bless.

Rita said...

Sounds like you are prepared for the cold spell--both places. Whew!
Always love to see the cats and the other critters. We're in a super cold spell up here--below zero and single digits for a few days. Brrr! Stay warm!

salemslot9 said...

Hiya
Whenever I see Honeywell
It reminds me of my dear step-father
He worked there for many years
Our ducks at lake house like
crabapples that fall off tree in our yard
Sometimes I take a store brand (cheaper)
non-drowsy allergy 24 hour relief
loratadine (small) tablets, 10 mg/antihistamine
Kitties + faerie lights + food = all good 🌞

Ginny Hartzler said...

Linda, thank you so much for your prayers and caring!!! I know you helped me get through this!! Phil is like Louis Dean; he sleeps through all kinds of weather. I thought your camper was all done! The kitties have the most active and interesting door to watch the ranch world through! You always make and serve the best-looking food, my mouth usually waters reading your blogs. I love peeking into your shopping cart and trying to see your purchases!

photowannabe said...

That ending quote is so "right on". Thanks for sharing.
I'm glad you are staying at the ranch a bit longer and are prepared for the colder weather.
You have plenty of "puttering" things for both of you to stay cozy and safe. Glad LD is doing better and that you were able to get his meds.
Stay safe and enjoy your remaining time in your paradise..
Sue

LC said...

Your mix of highlighting the ordinary as well as special events provides a fascinating read for this old lady. May blessings keep coming your way! LC

BeachGypsy said...

So glad yall are back in the country Linda!!--- nothing better than the country!!that one picture of Ruger I think, or maybe the other one?? Is funny-- you can see his tongue. Looks like he's licking his chops over a kitty!!! Ha ha just joking! All your meals look delicious! STAY WARM and enjoy the country and Louis Dean-- get well soon!

Wanda said...

Another good and interesting week at the ranch. So many things that can go wrong and PTL someone who can fix them.

Your Christmas Painting is lovely.

Loved all the cat and dog shots. What a great place for animals.

I put something in the mail for you yesterday...I got it at Women's Bible Study and it just said "Linda" all over it. Hope you enjoy it!!

Love and Hugs
Wanda

Pamela M. Steiner said...

So much fun stuff going on...and some not so fun. Allergies are never fun. But I love how you persevere in all situations and get so much accomplished! I LOVE that red truck painting! That is amazing! Your meals sound and look good too. So wonderful you have a son nearby to help out at home. We have that here too and it is such a blessing to be able to call the kids to help us when we really need it. They don't seem to understand yet that we really DO need their help from time to time, but they are starting to get the picture. However, I was proud of hubby and I for getting ALL of the Christmas stuff packed up and put away all by ourselves today. We will be VERY sore tomorrow, but it feels good to accomplish something! Be careful in the cold weather that is coming your way. Make sure you have everything ready! God bless you both. I enjoyed this so much. The cats too...

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It's so good to hear of your country time. We should all have restful place like that to go to. Although you keep busy all the time it seems. At least you are enjoying you stay. I'm glad to see LD is keeping busy too. He doesn't give up even though he has memory problems.