Friday, January 31, 2020

Our Last Two Days at the Ranch....Thursday and Friday

We are savoring our time here this month.
Every day seems special to us.
Thursday was slow and easy.
Louis Dean did odd and end projects and I worked on my art.


Mid afternoon we took a break and watched our campfire.


It was a damp chilly day with the high just in the 40's.
The fire burned big and glorious for only a few minutes before dying down to a slow steady burn.
Louis Dean burned that little Christmas tree we bought at HEB when we were down here in December.


I never get tired of looking at Mr. Jackson's cattle.


I traipsed over to the fence to get a plastic bag that had blown off and caught on a thorn tree and this cow started coming over to see what I was doing.


Then the resident kitty cat came down to explore.
I need to get and keep some kitty treats down here.


I left Louis Dean out on the deck keeping an eye on the fires while I went back in the front room to paint. That small fire to the left is what he made to burn up a dead root that he had been tripping over.
Easier to burn it than dig it up - except Sherry has this super duper tractor that would make short of one little root! Still, he enjoyed getting rid of it the Indian way.

I was just inside the window behind Louis Dean painting.


Based in the background for Winston......


And I am trying to use up some of my old paints!


Then I worked on the background for Elsa......


and finally, the background for Mr. and Mrs. Claus.


I cooked while I was painting.....onions and celery simmering in butter smells so good!
I made chicken and dressing......


candied carrots, and broccoli with cheese sauce plus a 'made from a box' cheesecake.

Dean and Sherry came down to visit for a few minutes after she got off work.


We popped the top off the small bottle of mead Leah and Patrick gave us.....
filling four small glasses evenly for our taste testing!
We have a winner! 
All four of us liked it although it is a really sweet wine and I am not usually a fan of sweet!
When we go back home, I will start researching the recipes and we will soon be starting our own batch of mead!

This was a good way to end our Thursday!

Friday morning Louis Dean and I BOTH woke up early!
 First time since we've been here!
It's amazing how much you can accomplish when you get up early in the morning!


This is one of our favorite Roger Miller songs!
He was such a great singer and song writer!

It was a wonderful day. 
Louis Dean accomplished a lot. I know this because he told me.
I have NO idea what all he did but he seemed happy.

I did some Susie Homemaker chores.
Cleaned sinks and reorganized a set of shelves out in the front room.
Watched a few episodes of a new to us program called Justified.
Dean loaned us the first season and I am hooked.
I did my thing and Louis Dean did his and we reconnected over the fire pit late this afternoon.


We are out of  'joy juice' - aka Charcoal Lighter!
This one he started and kept going all by himself!


We do love a good campfire.
We found a fire pit at HEB on Monday and would have bought it if the truck had not been full.
It would be perfect for a campfire and for grilling.....but it would not take the place of this one.


It was cold today! And will be 34 degrees tonight.
I love it!!!


The first art I did today was the red barn and cardinal.
I have painted this one before. Twice.
So I decided to do this one in a different style.....using a palette knife.


Maybe I am growing in my art because this was a challenge and it was fun!
Maybe I will move from Santa paintings to Christmas Cardinals for 2020.
One of my friends suggested that and I like that idea.


I reworked the background on Winston and then based him in.


When basing in - it's important to not get into too many details. 
Those come later......


I worked on Elsa next.
She is our long ago and much loved neighbor's dog.
As in we loved the Carroll's and Amber and Benjamin grew up with their children.


Elsa is nowhere near finished and I sincerely hope I can capture her personality.
Both Winston and Elsa will go home with me and once they are dry - I will continue to work on them. Our return to the ranch for February will be right after my next follow up appointment with my surgeon for my knee. That is on the 18th so we will be back down here on the 19th.

Summer was to have her trial surgery for the spinal stimulator on the 3rd of February but that has been pushed back to the 17th, which is perfect as I will be able to take her to the hospital for that procedure. If the 10 day trial is successful - she will have the big major surgery 2-3 weeks later.

So.....we had planned to leave here tomorrow so I could be home and rested before getting up early to take Summer to the hospital. Since that changed.....while Louis Dean and I were sitting by the campfire tonight ....after I had packed away all my art supplies and paintings......we decided there was nothing keeping us from staying one more full day and night here!


Yup!! That's me doing the Happy Dance!
That also means I will be here to help Sherry check on our bee hives.
She got the coolest new tool in the mail today from her daughter that will allow us to check on our bees without even lifting the top off!
I am so excited!

Every single day we have been here I have felt myself grow stronger.
The last two days I have rested in the afternoon but not actually napped.

Another day .....and another night.....and we still get home in time for the Super Bowl!
And I can't wait to see the commercials!
They are sometimes my very favorite part of the Super Bowl.
We will slide into town in time to pick up Little Caesars Hot Wings and watch the game.
Then real life starts for me on Monday.
My dance card is full for the next week or two ....but I am so ready.




14 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

The commercials are the only part of the Super Bowl that I love. The dogs are looking so good. And when you finish the barn and cardinal, I will copy and save your picture of it. Then I will save and print it, and display it somewhere! Maybe hang it up, or put it on an end table. I am so glad that you continue to do this well! And even get a bonus day at the ranch!!

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

Such a wonderful time to carry on your healing and doing things your love to do at the ranch Linda. More time is a great plus!
Hugs.
Joy

Carol said...

I am thankful that you are growing stronger each day and I think the time at the ranch was just what you needed! Enjoy!!

MadSnapper said...

you will already know my favorite pics are the cows and the cat, since furs are my thing. fire is also my thing and I would have been out there watching it with LD except much closer.. your card is indeed full and I can't believe all you are doing so soon after your new knee.. yay!! prayers for Summer's surgery to work. I did not remember you can paint pets. good job..

Changes in the wind said...

You are doing great with your knee and so happy you and LD enjoy the time at the ranch. I wouldn't like it that cold but you are bundled up good.

Sue said...

Linda, You are so amazing, you have now become my favorite heroine! Seeing your progress is so encouraging, and your attitude is so awesome, Your name is a household word around here, I keep my family informed of your progress, just keep it up!
We enjoy campfires too!
Your art work is so beautiful.
Have a great weekend.
Sue

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I can only imagine the camp dories did feel good with your chilly weather. How nice you were able to get so much painting done. Right now I'm checking out possibilities fore Easter and Spring. How great you got a whole extra day for your trip this time. Relax and get better.

Susie said...

Linda, Your paintings are coming along wonderfully. I love the idea of Christmas cardinals. You know that men and fire seem to go together. I call Ted a pyromaniac at times. LOL Glad you are growing stronger while there. Take care. Blessings to all, xoxo, love you, Susie

Vee said...

Wonderful spot for painting and what a fine job you are doing with the animal portraits. How pleasant to sit by a fire and, with the old Christmas tree added, it must have smelled especially nice. 🌲

photowannabe said...

The Ranch is such Good medicine for you.
I can hear it in the way you are writing about your activities.
Happy and full of peace and joy.
Love that you can sit around the fire pit and just enjoy each others company.
Yes, your dance card is full but that's the way to go.
Glad you can stay an extra day and night.
Enjoy your chicken wings and Super Bowl commercials.
Sue

jujupage1 said...

Your artwork is amazing! Can't wait to see the finished products of both Winston and Elsa's paintings.

Wanda said...

Wonderful ranch pictures. You know how I love to travel with you. Your paintings are stunning. So life like. You are truly a wonderfully and marvelously made as described in Psalm 139.
We continue our daily maintenance of sodium, water, weight, blood pressure...Linda, the other day when I looked at my calendar that I live by on my refrigerator...I thought of your cookbooks, scribbled on and over and over, and that's the way my calendar looks. HaHa. But I have to keep track of so many things.
I do love my life..every day is a bonus, and I want so much to see more improvement on my dearest. I have to remember his heart will always function at 30% so we can't expect too much...but God is a God of miracles. Sorry...Linda...I just keep rattling on....
Love and Hugs.

Chatty Crone said...

I love all your pictures - it seems you are totally back and ready to go there!!!!!!!!!!!!

Carole said...

Have a good game. Cheers