Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Monday Ranch! Tuesday Bee Meeting! Wednesday Art! We Are IN the Country!!

Monday we left the house and decided to stop for breakfast at Joe's Coffee Shop even though it was 12:30 before we headed south to the ranch!


Joe's is an old fashioned coffee shop and we fit right in with lots of elderly people that day.
Only one table had two young people sitting at it.

It was a fine feeling eating and drinking coffee knowing we were going to the ranch!
I admit, once we got on the road, the getting here was harder than I thought it would be.
Louis Dean needed my help navigating so I couldn't very well close my eyes and rest.
Once we got on I35 I tried to nod off but I was so uncomfortable I couldn't.
I was so glad to get to the HEB in Belmead!
We didn't need a lot and it didn't take long but it still wore me out to the point that on the way to Mart, Louis Dean asked me if I okay because I kept moaning. I preferred to think I was breathing heavy. I just felt like I was going to pass out but I was already sitting down!
I wasn't just about to prop my foot up on the dashboard as I have done in the past.
Not after seeing an x-ray on Facebook of a passenger involved in a wreck who had done that very thing. I have thought about that before and I have decided to not do it anymore!


We get real excited when we get past Waco and onto the country roads!


That's our turn down there - at the silo and lone tree.


We are here!!


It's our favorite moment!
Our time here has just begun!
Five glorious days and nights!


Louis Dean helped me in and I settled down on the little sofa seat where I spent most of that first evening recovering from the trip down. Worth every bit of the discomfort, though!


The camper was all snug and dry - Sherry and Dean keep an eye on it after heavy rains so we won't have any big surprises.


Colored lights are still on the perpetual Christmas Tree in the front room but I'll be taking of that pretty soon.

Dean grilled T-bone steaks and Sherry cooked the best potato medley in cream sauce and seasoned green beans, garlic bread and pepper poppers for our welcome back dinner!
It was delicious and Sherry did the dishes afterwards and left the extra food for our lunch today.

She and I sat inside the camper and visited while Dean and his dad sat out in the front room.
I think sitting around and just talking is something of a lost art.
Mother used to love to sit and talk.
We would tell and retell our 'war stories' and such and it was nothing to spend a couple of hours just talking. Louis Dean and I do that over our evening wine many a night.
Brenda and Billy are another couple that we can sit and talk to. 
Louis Dean often tells me how much he and Ellen enjoyed driving in to Comanche  from wherever they were teaching and spend  some time drinking coffee and talking to Ruby Nell and Jerl - Ellen's parents.

We went to bed last night with full hearts as well as full stomachs!
And to make it even better - it rained all night!


But all that rain for muddy conditions down here today.
Dean drove their Durango to Waco to have some work done on it this morning and the mechanic drove him home. Dean told him to let him out at the end of the gravel but he decided to try and drive on down. Naturally he got stuck.  Dean got the tractor and pulled him all the way up to the gate!
Dean knows how to drive in the mud.

The wind howled all day long sometimes even rocking the camper a little bit.
This helped dry the road out enough for Sherry to drive us out for our bee meeting Tuesday night.

We have ordered two new hives for April delivery!
And we are mentors this year!
Actually, Sherry is and I'm her helper.
All the new beekeepers went down to the front after the meeting to sign up.
I looked them all over wondering who would be assigned to us.
We have a new sister beekeeper friend - her name is Rosy and she also volunteered to be a mentor.


All three of us went out to eat together and we had the best time!
We planned an activity using the progressive dinner concept.
Our plan is to gather a group of beekeepers in our area and going from one place to the others during the course of a Saturday or Sunday. The goal is to develop relationships and also see how others are doing their bee activities and learning from each other. Maybe start out with coffee and cinnamon rolls at one place and then sandwiches at another with mid afternoon snacks at the next and maybe drinks and appetizers at the last place. This should be fun! Hopefully we can pull this together for April or May.


I was so excited when Rosy ordered fish tacos!
I've always wanted to see what they looked like.....not that I ever wanted to taste them!

It was a good Tuesday and I slept like a baby that night.

Today (Wednesday) has been such a nice relaxing day.
I puttered around doing this and that. I added some red and black tablecloths to the front room and set up the new to us toaster oven, crock pot and pop up toaster we bought at Goodwill. That involved moving a few things around and tweaking what goes where.

I have continued my exercises and can tell my knee is healing up nicely.
The steps up into the camper and down to the front room have proved to be good exercise.


This afternoon I went out to feed carrots to the horses.
I had looked out the front windows and saw them running along the fence line.
That's such a pretty thing to get to see.


This horse is skittish and won't let anyone cut the bridle off of her.
Slowly but surely it has been cut a little at a time and is about to come off on its own.


I haven't been down to see the other critters yet.
 Still protecting my knee.
Sherry said she might take me around on the four wheeler on Friday to see everyone.
Louis Dean says he has seen the wild peacock fly several times.
We can watch the 'mops' aka Great Pyrenees patrol the property from here as well as watch the geese.
There are only three geese now.....

I'm gearing up to paint tomorrow and Friday.
It will be my first art to do this year!
I have several paintings I have promised people and I want to get started on them.


This is Winston - Deanie's grand dog!
It will be her birthday gift - and her birthday was in December!


This is Elsa.....and I am painting it for one of my favorite neighbors from years past.


Then there's Miss Pepper!


She belongs to our Canadian friends.
They are planning on visiting us this fall and I want to have Miss Pepper's portrait done by then!!

There are other paintings to do as well.
The Northern Lights for my niece, Leah and a Christmas painting for my blogging friend, BJ.
And another Christmas one for Kimmy - and I need to have it ready for her birthday in July!


I'm having a good time here at the ranch.
It truly is Our Happy Place!!!


19 comments:

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy said...

Let the painting begin - get creative girl and enjoy your time away! ♥

Buttercup said...

I've so enjoyed visiting your happy place. Love your camper and the photo of the turn to your place makes me want to buy a plane ticket and find my way to your doorstep. Just kidding, maybe! Glad your recovery is going well.

Chatty Crone said...

I am glad that you made the trip - I know it hurt you and made you tired - but I think it is going to be a good change of pace. You are still busy! Sandie

Ginny Hartzler said...

I love your door!! And look forward to seeing more of your dog drawings. What an awesome new beekeeping activity! Your close-up photos of the horses are wonderful! you should paint one!

Bluebird49 said...

What a good thing to see! i know you were worn out, but you sound great. (As always.)
I'm so glad you are doing so well, Linda! You are an inspiration.💕
Enjoy and take care!!

Vee said...

I’m sorry that there was effort and discomfort in getting to your happy place, yet how wonderful that things calmed down.( I can be your bad example as regards propping your feet up on the dash. That’s how I hurt my knees...not by propping on the dashboard, but by propping them up on a much higher chair arm than the one I was seated in. I hyper-flexed my knees and had no idea until I attempted to do it again. My PT is not too happy with me. 😏)

New hives, new friends, new foods, new critters, new projects, same Louis Dean...no wonder you love the country!

Arlene G said...

Glad you arrived and I am sure that the ride was not the most pleasant but you made it because you are a strong lady!! We are leaving this morning for Grimmwood. We are letting the traffic in Huntsville die down before we take off. We have a new restaurant in Eton which we are excited to try! And we have Laura's homecoming at Dalton State on Saturday. Other than that I will be puttering and stitching! We will be home on Sunday so Marvin can watch the Superbowl. How can it be Febryary already? Time continues to fly by. I look forward to seeing all the paintings when you complete them Linda. Hello to LD!!

Susie said...

Linda , I felt bad about the weary trip down for you. But you seemed happier as your post went along. Please use care walking in bumpy terrain. Glad you had some beekeeper fun . I can't wait to see all your paintings. I would have loved seeing the horses run. To me that is exciting. Stay strong and take care. Hello to everyone's sweetheart, LD. Blessings to all, love you guys, xoxo, Susie

Changes in the wind said...

Sorry the trip down was so hard but glad you arrived safe and are enjoying your time there. So many paintings but the people will just love them! Happy you and Sherry enjoy each other and can have this bee experience. Keep up the good work with the knee.

Debbie said...

i hope you are not doing too much, please be careful, you have been doing so well!! the horses are gorgeous and i LOVE your red door!!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Glad to hear you are doing so well and enjoying it all. It would be with the effort to get to your happy place and painting is one thing that won't hurt your knee, unlike the mud. It's a good thing they have that four wheeler to get you around, best not to try it on your own. Sounds like your bee keeping adventures will be blooming in the new year. 4 more hives is a lot. Take good care not to over do.

photowannabe said...

Yes, the Ranch truly is your Happy Place.
I loved reading about all you have done and are planning on doing while there.
I needed an uplifting post this morning.
Sometimes my heavy heart needs a real boost.
All I can say publicly is please pray for our younger son and his family.
The "enemy" wants to do a real number on their lives...but In Christ Alone...I heard that hymn this morning and it's what I am clinging to today..
Sorry to be such a Debbie Downer...
Love the idea of the progressive dinner for the Bee group. That's a fun way to get to know each other.
We used to do that a lot way back when...
Your portraits are fabulous and those who get those gems will treasure them forever.
Keep getting better...I think the Ranch is the perfect medicine.
Sue

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I'm so glad you are in the country! It's good for all your aches and pains...and peaceful to boot! Take care and try not to over do it! Hugs to you both!

BeachGypsy said...

I'm so glad y'all made it there safely and now you can work on those paintings you've been meaning to do! Those horses are beauties aren't they? Love seeing the dogs too, hope they come around. Enjoy your peaceful days in the country and don't forget you just had a major surgery----take care and BE CAREFUL and rest too. Your recovery is going great! Have fun with your new bee friends!

Carole said...

Medley of potatoes in cream sauce sounds good - must look out a recipe. Glad you are getting better. Cheers

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

So glad t read that you and Louis dean are back at the ranch, your hapy place. The inside of the camper looks so cozy and glad there was no wetness inside after your long drive to get there. You are so right in saying that people seem to have forgotten how to sit and talk without looking at electronic devices and testing of emailing or posting to social media.

Judy said...

Glad you are safe and sound at your happy place! Enjoy your stay! I had to smile about you propping your feet up on the dashboard. I do that so often...especially on a long road trip in the motorhome. Not safe, I'm sure...but so comfortable!

Sue said...

A Happy Place, indeed Linda, I am so impressed with your recovery, not to mentioned amazed! Dh is in his second week post surgery! Reading your post gives us s much encouragement.
Enjoy this special time.
Sue

Wanda said...

Hi Linda...Wow what a trip to the ranch. Glad you made it ok and were able to rest up for the rest of the week. How I love your trips to the ranch. I feast on each picture.

I love your dog pictures, and look forward to the final painting. I miss our little Molly.... I should probably try to put her in watercolor, since that is my mode of art. Still on the back burner..hopefully I can pull out those paints again soon.

Love and Hugs.