Monday, January 27, 2020

My Favorite Hockey Mom!

This was a hockey weekend for us! 
Two Games!


The first one was Saturday in Farmers Branch.
This is a really nice facility.
I love watching Amber.....I always have.
She was a synchronized swimmer so that made me a Synchro Mom.
I loved everything about synchro and went to all the practises, meets and traveled as a team mom to all the competitions.

Now I watch Amber be a Hockey Mom!
Water is still involved - just frozen!


We watched Logan......


and Harrison play. They are on one team and Trystan and Kailey are on another.


Synchro Mom and Hockey Mom!


Kailey and Granddad have always held a special spot in each other's heart!

The game was at 1:00 on Saturday. 
We came home, ate a sandwich lunch and then I went straight to bed.
I can do something or go somewhere but then I have to go back to bed.


It was dark when I got up and went to the kitchen to make some cookie bars.
Sherry gave me this cookbook using honey and I wanted to make something to take to the bee meeting on Tuesday.


They turned out pretty good but they are a bit crumbly.
I packed up some to take to the meeting and some to take to the next hockey game.
The crumbs would be good sprinkled on yogurt....but I'm not sure I'd make this particular recipe again.

Today (Sunday) was the second hockey game and we were right on time!
That's THREE games we have been to and been on time at all three!
Even watching them skate out onto the ice!


Kailey skated right up to the glass because she knows her MeeMaw so well and knew I would take her picture! She waited patiently while I fumbled for my phone!


She wore bright pink shoestrings and was easy to spot.
Trystan is #13 and had a pink scrunchie on her pigtail.


Surprise!
Look who else came to the game!!!
I had not seen Summer in two weeks so I was so happy!

Speaking of Summer.....
she is scheduled on February 3rd for a 10 day trial with the spinal stimulator.
It's not the full surgery - they just insert the wires I think.
If it works - and we are praying that it does - they will schedule the far more serious surgery of implanting the stimulator. I'm speaking in mom talk because I don't fully understand all that's involved but I do know it is serious surgery with two weeks of terrible pain after before it gets better.
Summer is desperate for relief from the constant pain she has been in for going on four years now.
I am amazed by her. As bad as she feels, she still keeps going. Yes, she goes down for days at a time but gets back up and pushes on. 


Today she brought these cookies for after the game!
She rocks being an Aunt!

Once again, we came home straight after the game and I went back to bed.
Louis Dean kept coming in to check on me and was glad when I finally woke up.
That's why I'm up so late tonight.
I did some laundry and housework.
 Packed up my art tub as we are getting things ready to go to the ranch.
Louis Dean has already loaded the truck so we may get out of here earlier than usual tomorrow.

I did get out my Country Diary from 2008 when I had my right knee replaced.
It was in August that time....another good month to be down if you're going to have to be.
I did well on that surgery but not as well as I have done on this one.
Tomorrow will be 3 weeks out and I have not had to take pain pills past the first 10 days.
 Last time I still had to take one from time to time at this point.
The common factor in both of these knee surgeries is the fatigue.
I reread the diary for August and into September 2008 and I repeated over and over again how tired I was. That's my main problem now. Fatigue. There's no hurrying the process. It takes time and it's not wise to overdo things. Louis Dean says he's very proud of me because I have been taking very good care of myself. I don't want to do anything to mess up my new knee.
Sometimes I just lie in bed - not reading or sleeping or anything.
Just too tired to do even hold a book.
But then I can get up and putter around the house doing a few things.
Because it's my left knee, I was able to drive sooner than when it was the right one.
I am so grateful this surgery was possible and it's a small thing to spend some weeks and months sitting life out a bit so that I will have two good knees going forward!
I have never been a strong person and yet here I am recovering faster than is usually expected.
Perhaps I am stronger than I thought!!




15 comments:

Bluebird49 said...

You are strong, and have a lust for your very best life. You stick by your family and friends, stay close to God, and try to fit in all the little things that mean everything. You raised good children and you're always looking forward. I admire you so much!
Have fun at the ranch! <3

Susie said...

Linda, I have always thought of you as a strong woman. You have faced many tough times and come thru amazingly. I loved seeing you with your girls. The picture of LD and Kailey is a nice one. I think the children love knowing their favorite fans are watching them. Praying for sweet Summer. See the strong women you have raised? Blessings to all, love you so much, xoxo, Susie

Debbie said...

you are as strong as we all knew you were!! i was a soccer gymnastics mom, and like you, i loved every second!! you have a lovely family, those children are just amazing...no one deserves that more than you!!

and MEGA STUFF, i will have to tell the hubs!!!

i'm so happy you were out and able to go and watch the games!!

Jackie said...

Glad you are doing so well Linda. So glad Summer is getting the stimulator. My husband has one and is now pain free. It worked miracles for him. Hope it does the same for Summer. Will be praying.

Arlene G said...

Love seeing all the family!! Fun times. There will be no stopping you when that knee is healed Linda.:) Headed to Grimmwood this week. Agree about the honey...it is not he best to bake with! But it sure is good in hot tea and on hot biscuits.:)

MadSnapper said...

so very happy to read the last part about how well you are doing and even better than the last time. I have never kept a journal, I wish I had written one for Bob and his health issues because I have forgotten so much... you are blessed with four sweet hockey players and there Hockey Mom... good idea to wear the pink, they all do look alike on the ice... have fun at the ranch

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I have to say than any mom supporting their children in their sports is a great mom, it adds a lot of extra added duties to their lives. Like your Amber it's not easy but makes such a difference in the lives of the kids. Prayers for Summer and her surgery She is so brave to attempt this surgerr going forward with the unknown. I pray it all goes well for her. Your daughtesr take after their mom, being such troopers like you going through your surgery and recovering as you have. Always good to take care you don't undo the good being done. Remember rest brights healing.

Wanda said...

Good Morning Linda dear.
Enjoyed as usually traveling with you via blog and sharing in your busy life. I hope you will continue to take care of Linda..you are such a faithful wife and mother, and grandma and friend...You do it all.

Good news for us today...all the extra fluid my dearest has been retaining is gone. Now the keeping it off...PTL...

Love and Hugs.

Ginny Hartzler said...

I had no idea how painful this surgery will be for summer. I will be praying for her. I hope that after the surgery, they can medicate most of the pan away. You will be at The Ranch now, hurray that you are there!!

photowannabe said...

My Lady...YOU are definitely a strong, determined woman!!
I love how you just keep on pushing on but you are also listening to your body.
Rest is a great healer.
Please rest at the ranch.
Love the pix of your adorable Quads.
Will be praying for Summer and all that's ahead for her.
Sue

Vee said...

Yes, you are strong and determined. You’re impressing me all to pieces.

The hockey players impress me, too.

Interesting to note the differences and similarities between your knee surgeries. Good to know that soon you’ll be fully recovered from the total weariness. Keep taking good care. Soon January will be a distant memory. 📆

Latane Barton said...

It appears that you are doing great, Linda. Way to go, girlfriend!!

Carole said...

The kids are so accomplished. And you are doing great! Cheers

jujupage1 said...

My mum's a dance mum I guess. Who knows who i'll be in the far future but a hockey mum sounds cool! You are definitely a lot stronger than you think! Keep up the steady recovery. 💜🙌

Deanna Rabe said...

You're doing great! I love seeing the kids, praying for Summer.

Hope your time at the ranch is restful!