Friday, September 13, 2019

Thursday and Friday

Yesterday I drove over to Hurst, Texas to pick up my Bernina sewing machine.
Apparently it was sicker than I thought and it cost over $300 to repair and clean it - but that's much cheaper than buying a new one. As I was leaving, I noticed a Calloway's Nursery right next door.


Oh, MY!! It thrilled my heart to see such fall colors!


I love the way they decorate!
While the back pond area is not really ready for plants - 


I bought some anyway.
And ONE pumpkin!


My herb garden had dried up except for the sage.
I bought some lemon verbena, trailing rosemary, Italian parsley, thyme, and a few other things.

When I left Calloway's, I saw a Lowe's and ran in there and bought some more plants.
I probably should have gone to Walmart!
A friend posted on Facebook her haul and it was magnificent!
She said the prices were so good! Traditional pumpkins were just $3 and the ornamental ones were $5.88. I need to make a trip to Walmart!!!

When Louis Dean and I were having our coffee and I was reading the Bible earlier that morning - I suddenly remembered he had an appointment for 1:15 to do am AB1 test (Ankle-Brachial Index) at his cardiologist's office.
I looked at the clock and it was nearly noon!
SO glad I remembered it in time!
He went off and that's when I left to go get my sewing machine.

We arrived home about the same time.
Since it's still hot in Texas and too hot to work in the sun - we both took naps!
Then I went out in the back and started working.
The once green jungle of ivy, Asian Jasmine and other ground cover is all brown, dead and trampled.
The awful Seven Sister wanna be rose bush has been cut back and Louis Dean intends to dig it up.
We worked until we couldn't work anymore.
He and I had hung up mosquito netting screens around three sides of the gazebo and I turned a fan on us and we sat in there catching our breath.
We thought we had replacement rain curtains and netting - but we didn't.
Brenda gave us the ones they had some time back since they never used them and I am so glad she did! He's going to get the rain curtains we had and we will see if they are still usable or if I need to order more. We did find another canopy replacement! Not sure why we bought two of them!

Sherry drove up from the ranch Thursday night to spend the night since she had to go into the office here in Irving this morning. We sat in the gazebo for a little while and she helped Louis Dean take the trash out. I had filled two of those great big sturdy black trash bags full!!

We went to bed early for us. I got up in the middle of the night unable to go back to sleep so I poured me a small glass of wine and was sitting in the living room when Sherry woke up and came in.
We visited and after awhile - Louis Dean came in.
I just love it when we have someone in the guest room!
I had looked up at the clock when it was 4:00 in the morning and the words to that song hit my brain!!!


Louis Dean just about ran that song in the ground with me!!
Sherry and I laughed when I told her about it and then when Louis Dean came in we thought it was perfect timing!

Sherry and I went back to bed at 4:30 and Louis Dean stayed up and cleaned his music room!
He sacked up a big bag of trash and got it to the curb in time for pick up.
Of course he had to take a nap later!

Yesterday he was stopped by the police because he did not have mud flaps on his truck.
The officer asked him if he knew it was against the law not to have them and he had no idea it was.
Must be because it's a dually truck.
It's funny about that, though, because we have been married 14 years and the first Christmas together, I bought a set of mud flaps for his truck.
He never put them on. They were still in the package and they were not cheap when I bought them!
The only thing was - he couldn't find them.
I was working in the front flower beds and pruning around the Rosemary bush when yellow jacket stung me. He went to look for the wasp spray - and found the mudflaps!!

So today he decided he would have someone put them on and fix his muffler.
He came home - and Sherry had stopped back by before leaving Irving - and announced it would cost $800!!! He decided he can do it after all.


I made us a good late lunch today.
You know why?
I forgot to feed Louis Dean yesterday!
He bought a bag of cheese puffs and ate those in the late afternoon and then finished off his goulash last night. I felt so bad about that.
I tried to make up for it today!

Once again I have been out in the back pond area trying to clean it up before he does the actual cleaning of the pond. Today I filled THREE big bags!
We are making progress but there's still so much to do and we try to pace ourselves.

This day is done and later tonight we will be going out to howl at the full moon.
But right now I am fixing some more food to feed Louis Dean and we're going to finish the movie we started this afternoon.


He's figured out I will watch westerns with him if they have Tom Selleck or Sam Elliot in it!


It is so hard to see Mark Hamon playing a bad guy!



19 comments:

Arlene G said...

Sounds like y'all had a slumber party at four in the morning, Linda. The moon here is beautiful tonight but I think of all the nurses working in the ER and Labor and Delivery who will have their hands full. Only an old nurse would think of that. Glad you got that Bernina fixed...they do not make sewing machines like they used to!!

Ginny Hartzler said...

I don't know this song! But it has a lovely waltz tempo. I have been to Wal-Mart many times in the last week, and bought lots of their fall decorations. They have lots that are adorable and cheap. The cutest wooden hedgehog! I went today for one of their fall buckets, but they are sold out. I will try another Wal-Mart, of course. That is way too much money for mud flaps and a muffler repair!

Bluebird49 said...

I've heard that song; Ed is a big (classic) country music fan and singer/picker. Neither of us cared much for it though!
Ed just watched that movie this week! I watched some, too -- and thought the same about Harmon. Love Selleck, though. (Him and Sam Elliot!)
Y'all just wear me out with all you do. I'd give almost anything to be able to have good health -- good health is a huge treasure! Right lately, I've kind of been struggling. I hope Summer's okay. I feel 90 some days!
Hope LD can do his truck work. Have a good wknd! <3

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

Busy and productive. Love seeing the pumpkin displays.
Hugs.
Joy

MadSnapper said...

OMW on the 800.00.. that must have been for the muffler, that stuff is expesnive. not just for the flaps I assume... wow on finding them when you need them. hope he did not get a ticket but a warning. oh no on another wasp sting. we are waiting for our heat to go away. hottest summer ever since I have lived here

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

You both have had costly repairs, well at least Louis Dean will try to cut his down by doing his own on the truck. Hope he can do it without any problems. Living in an apt, there’s no chance if doing any if that work here. Interesting about it being illegal not to have mud flaps on his truck and lucky he found that set. A glass of wine always relaxes me as well.

Nancy Chan said...

I too have a sewing machine and I know the old ones are always better than new ones. Glad it can be repaired. Lovely fall decorations at the nursery.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I lived in Hurst...way back in the 70s! I know that area has grown up even bigger though! I wouldn't know my way around! Enjoy your weekend!

Vee said...

My! What a lot of cleaning up you are doing! No wonder you need naps. Do you suppose Louis Dean is cleaning the music room looking for his pie? 😁 Everything is going to look so nice when you are finished. You’ll have to invite the grands over for a gazebo party. They love it out there.

Hootin Anni said...

You two wear me out! I donx t see how y'all can work in the heat...it does me in. Ahhhh, yes. Sam Elliot. Yummy.

Susie said...

Linda, I loved the pretty market too. Sounds like lots of working going on there. It is a good time for plant deals...but I am still using fake flowers...no time to be watering. You will be having a sweet garden area. There's been a few days where I have to rush to come up with a meal. If it was just me I could eat cereal all the time. LOL. But like I have said, Ted would eat snacks rather try to fix himself any food. :( Blessings to all there, xoxo,love you, Susie

Sue said...

I wish I could get some company during the nighttime when I can't sleep, my dh sleeps like a baby.
the market reminds me of our state farmer's market, and I need to go for a visit. Yes, Walmart has some great deals on fall items, I bought my pumpkins there..
Like you if Tom Selleck and Sam Elliot are in a western I will watch!

Thank you for your encouraging words about the knee surgery, we are both somewhat anxious.. Blessings,
Sue

Rebecca Nelson said...

I lived in Euless for a bit and we shopped in Hurst all the time. My favorite area of Texas. I live in Oklahoma now, but if my daughter would move to Texas I would GO BACK!

Read on Sue's blog you are having Knee Surgery! Hope everything goes well...

Loved stopping by!

<3Rebecca

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Too bad you can't find the curtains for the Gazebo, I do remember you saying you had another pair when the old ones came down. And too bad on the mud flaps too. I get so frustrated when I know I havae something and cannot find it. I know how you must be feeling. l Bu they must be had so I suppose buying new ones is the only option. It will be after new ones are bought that is when you'll find them. Keep cool and take it easy in that heat. It can be a killer.

Chatty Crone said...

I love this time of year - when all the outdoor gardens like Lowe have their fall decorations out. It is nice that you and Dean can take naps - get up at 4am - and basically do what you want - my life is not like that. Hope his tests went well. You forgot to feed him and he didn't even say anything - your meal looked great by the way.
I also wrote the name of that movie down - looks like Rick would like that too.
Love, sandie

photowannabe said...

whew...you make me breathless just reading all you accomplish in one day.
I love your 4 AM slumber party...
Good for you and all those Fall treasures you got. The garden will be wonderful.
Enjoy your movies and your gazebo...
Oh my the muffler and mud flaps are really expensive. I hope LD can do it himself...

Agnes Agnieszka said...

Nice photos

Carole said...

Pajama party time! Cheers

Tina said...

So funny that Louis Dean found the mud flaps by accident like that! Also the food you cooked for him looks delicious! I need to get some good baking potatoes next time I go shopping and you reminded me of that! Sounds like you had a good visit with Sherry!