Wednesday, September 25, 2019

My Birthday!! And the day after......I'm still basking in the glow....

Yesterday was my 71st birthday!
Summer picked me up here at the ranch and we spent the entire day together.
We were heading to a tea room for lunch when my oldest son called to wish me a happy birthday.
We had the nicest chat! Jesse is a coffee lover and explores the world of great coffees like some people love great wine.


I knew I would love this place as soon as I saw this sign!


Summer always smiles even though she wants to cry.
She was in pain but managed it as well as possible and pushed through it in order for us to have our day together.


There were so many things to chose from on the menu!


I went with a Greek Salad and Summer had the fruit salad with cottage cheese.


It was such a fun place!
Quirky, ecclectic and it had a charming ambiance.


We spied this as we were being led to our table.


Since we ate such healthy lunches - we opted to share a banana pudding!


The tea room is surrounded by all sorts of small shop like places.
Little halls and alcoves and such are filled with charming clothes, candles and all sorts of things.


I loved this tea towel!


Summer bought this for me as my birthday card.
I have placed it beside my chair here in the camper so I can see it and remember our day.
I am so thankful that she is proud of me!
Of all the ones in my family, Summer is the most gracious.
She remembers only my good traits and forgives and forgets all my faults.
I want to be more like her!


After our lunch we drove around Waco doing a few errands when we saw this cool vintage Gulf station. As far as we could tell, it's a place someone bought and restored to keep their antique things in. It's not a business nor a residence. It would be fun to research this a little more and find out if they rent this out or is it a personal place? Whatever it is - it's very cool!

While we were out and about, Amber and the kids called. I answered and they all started singing Happy Birthday to me! How sweet was that? Amber told me she had wanted to pop down here and surprise me but, alas, real life situations got in the way. I totally understand. I have had four birthday parties in my 71 years. Three were given to me by Amber - one a surprise party on my 50th birthday when she was only 14 years old. The fourth was my 65th birthday party given to me by Summer!

Next up?


Downton Abbey!
I got a free popcorn for my birthday and Summer had credits for a free Coke!
We settled back and thoroughly enjoyed the movie!
Everyone in the audience did!
We all laughed and clapped throughout the film and at the end.

As soon as we got in the car - Rayne and Sabrina called me and THEY were singing Happy Birthday!
It was so sweet to hear from so many friends and family throughout the day.


It was time to head to our monthly bee meeting and Summer and I met up with Sherry there.
We transferred my shopping things to Sherry's truck and Summer went back to Linda's (a family friend here in Waco) to rest and recover from being out and
about all day.

I will just give you a brief update on Summer since so many of you have been praying for her over these last three years. She visited her doctor who did the epidural that gave her six days of pain free living and then slowly shifted back to the condition she was in before. They can do one more injection. Then that's the end of the road. The one and only option that is available at this time - and was NOT even available a year ago - is a surgery that will work kind of like a ...well....I don't even know how to explain it. The surgery was designed as a last resort for situations like Summer's where there has been so much nerve damage and there's no way of locating it all.
There is a chance she could end up in a wheelchair. But you know what? That's not as bad as it sounds. She could have a life again without all the pain. Lots of people have full and active lives in a wheelchair. I do thank you for all the prayers that have been prayed for her.
I trust that God has a plan and that Summer will once again have her life back!
In or out of a wheelchair. At this point - if she could live with just half the pain she has now - she would sparkle and shine in life!


I wasn't the only one having a birthday today!
The president of our Bee association turned 65!
He was surprised to find out there was cake and ice cream after the meeting to celebrate and honor him.


THAT is a perfect cake for Gary!

Sherry took me to Case Ole for dinner after our meeting and that made for a perfect ending 
to my 71st birthday.  I loved every minute of it from the moment I woke up that morning.
Thank you for all the happy birthday greetings on Facebook and in the mail.
I am so thankful for every single one of them!

We got back to the ranch about 10:00.
Dean and Louis Dean were sitting on the front porch so Sherry and I joined them for a little while before we all said our good nights and we came in and went to bed.

I slept so well and so long!
This has been a good Wednesday at the ranch.
It's our last 'normal' day here this month.

I painted the last of the projects I had planned on painting today and that was a good feeling.
They are not all finished but they are all right on schedule.

As soon as Sherry got off work today, she and I went down to do our September beehive inspections.
We got the smoke going before we donned our bee suits. It was in the 90's today.
Thankfully, the hives were sitting in the shade by the time we got there.
Louis Dean drove us over in his truck. Walking even a quarter mile suited up is not a good thing.


I was really looking forward to this because we were going to inspect the brood boxes as well as the supers. The top supers had been cleaned out and there were some bees up there but, according to Gary at the meeting last night, they are there to patrol.


The second super was healthy in both hives.
They are drawing out comb and there is honey in there.
This will be important to the bees this winter.
We went on down to the brood box and found everything as it should be there.
While we did not SEE the queen, we did see capped brood and evidence of the queen.
We saw brand new bees with still white wings. And we saw larvae.
Sherry brought a queen clip but we didn't get to use it.
The hives appear to be healthy.
We will be treating for mites in the next month and we hope to watch another beekeeper as he re-queens his hives. I think you typically re-queen every two years so it will be a good experience for us before we have to do it ourselves next year.


Tonight I packed up all my art to take back home and cleaned up the table.
I put the centerpiece and place settings back and my week of art is now over.
Tomorrow I will start at one end of the camper and clean all the way to the other end before going down to the front room and doing the same thing out there.
We leave here on Friday but not to go home just yet.


Louis Dean's great granddaughter Bella, is having her Two Year Old  birthday party on Saturday!
They live in Big Springs and we already have hotel reservations there so we can join the party!
We are looking forward to spending a few days with Chandy and her family.
I am certain she and her granddad are going to make some beautiful music together.
They always do whenever they get a chance.


I close tonight's journal entry with this pic of my grand dog Rufus.
He comes down here fully expecting an extra special treat and I try never to fail him in providing one. Even if I have to give him something I was saving for Louis Dean and a midnight snack.
I mean - just who could resist your GRAND dog???
Not I!!!

Goodnight, Folks!!!
Thanks again for all the birthday greetings.
Who KNEW getting old could be so much fun???










21 comments:

Bluebird49 said...

So good to hear you had a good birthday! Enjoyed this post so much --- I think about Summer a lot. (My sister-in-pain!) I pray for pain-free days for her ahead.

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

You had the very best Birthday Linda - and 71 is a great year - Happy Birthday Dear Linda. Thank you for sharing your Birthday Day (and the BEE work you both did today).
Hugs.
Joy

Estelle's said...

It was great to read about your special day...you made the most of the entire day making memories....just wonderful! Have a lovely weekend Linda!

MimiG said...

Everyone has to have at least ONE belated Happy Birthday! Happy Day of Birthday, so many blessings I wish for you. I keep Summer in my prayers, she has such a giving spirit, especially to remain in the pain as she does. I pray for relief for her.
So glad your birthday was such fun for you - those little extra things means so much to us as we grow, don't they?
That tea room looked awesome - they always have little unique items that you just don't see anywhere else! Have fun at the birthday party this weekend and Safe Travels!
M

Vee said...

🎂Happy Belated Birthday, Linda! What a delightful day you enjoyed with Summer and then Sherry. Your birthday greetings all sounded delightful. (Praying for Summer...) Yay for healthy hives...that is a good feeling. And yay for more family adventures especially if they are shared with such an adorable great! ☺️

Deanna Rabe said...

Linda,

You're the best and such a cheerleader of people, no wonder everyone loves you! I loved what you said about Summer. We should all be more like her. No one is perfect, and we just have to keep growing in our lives, and make things right when we've offended or hurt someone. Sometimes we do it unintentionally, because we have different personalities and take things differently. God knows!

So glad the bees are thriving and well! We are all learning so much about bees through you sharing here!

I'm glad your birthday was excellent! Mine is in a week!

Tina said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful 71st birthday! Summer was wonderful to plan such a special day for you even though she is in so much pain! She is an inspiration for all of us! Glad you got to see the Downton movie and it sounds like it was so good! I'm looking forward to seeing it, just have to convince hubby to take me ;-) The bee information is so interesting, I didn't know you had to re-queen the hive!? Thanks for bringing us all along on your interesting adventures! Happy, Happy Birthday!!

Chatty Crone said...

Happy birthday to you - I saw it on facebook too. You have so many wonderful friends and family. I hate to ask you, but is Summer your daughter or your friend? I think your daughter and I should know. Boy that looked like a place I would love to go too! Just my style. sandie

Susie said...

Happy birthday sweet friend. I am so glad you shared your day with Summer. I love that girl's good heart. I am praying for her , for all of you. Cutting her pain down will be a blessing. She's a fighter so maybe she would have a good outcome from surgery.
Sounds like the best day ever. Food, fun and a movie. Blessings to all, xoxo, love, Susie

Arlene G said...

So glad you had a good birthday...I will be praying for Summer.

Changes in the wind said...

Happy Birthday! We are now the same age. Do the doctors know what caused the nerve damage in Summer? It sure seems severe. So much involved in bee keeping. Seems funny you have to replace the queen every two years, does she just get worn out? Nice you can attend the birthday party...have fun.

Debbie said...

I was so happy when I saw your comment at the lakehouse blog, Linda!! I just started blogging again recently. Your post is wonderful! So full of fun, and appreciation for the people in your life. You know that you are a special lady, because of all the love people show to you. What a fun project the bee-keeping must be. Happy Birthday, Linda. Enjoy the rest of the week! Smooches, Debbie xo

Teresa P said...

Happy 71st Birthday Linda! Sounds like you and Summer had a great day together and enjoyed yourselves. We went to see Downton Abbey last week and loved it since I was a big fan of the series when it was on PBS.

Praying for Summer and that she will be healed of this chronic pain she is in. I pray this next shot will be more successful. Love seeing your bee keeping chronicles...so fascinating. Have a good day!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It sounds and looks like you had a wonderful birthday! Happy Happy Birthday wishes from my house to yours! You did have a great birthday! So glad Summer could come and join you for the celebration! She is in my daily prayers. As are you sweet lady. I love how you love life.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Happy Birthday sweet lady! You really DO look fabulous for ANY age! And your day sounds perfect! Lots of special moments to remember this year! I'm keeping Summer in my prayers too. What a beautiful young lady and I hate that she suffers so much! Sweet birthday hugs coming your way, Diane

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to you and many more to come!
Phyllis from Oregon

photowannabe said...

Oh Linda, I'm so sorry I missed your Big Day yesterday.
I wasn't on the computer much at all.
So...I am so glad you had such a fabulous 71st Birthday.
So many special things you did and calls you got...
You just make every day so much fun.

Ginny Hartzler said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Linda!!! We are the same age. I am so glad you have been having a ball!! That restaurant looks awesome! Summer has such a hard decision...either pain or a wheelchair. I will pray for discernment!

Kathy said...

You had an awesome birthday. Spending time with family is the best. I love everything you did. Praying for Summer and the relief of her pain.

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Happy 🎂Birthday, Linda and sorry to be late but hope your celebration lasts all year long. Glad to read about the day you spent with summer, but sad to read about her continued pain. The options you posted about will mean some tough decisions ahead and I will be thinking of you both. We just saw Downton Abbey today and even though I had not watched the series, it was wonderful and my husband who had watched the series really liked seeing all the original characters again.

Cheapchick said...

Happy Late Birthday Linda!! I am sorry I missed it :)