Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Cards and Cucumbers.....and Sandford and Son News.

This has been a stay-at-home day which is one of my favorite kind!


Trystan slipped this note to me while we were in church Sunday.
I think it's the sweetest thing! SHE is the sweetest thing!
Truly! Of all four of the quads - Trystan is the sweetest.
They all have strengths but sweet is hers.
The note has lived on my bedside table since Sunday and I have read it at least once a day since. 
Twice yesterday.


I received a Box of Blessings this morning in the mail!
These hand crafted cards - each one a work of art - are from my long time friend in Florida, Sharon B. Her daughter swam with the Pirouettes of Texas Synchronized Swim Team along with Amber.
I am so proud of these cards! Sharon is a real artist!
I already have one written and addressed with a stamp attached ready to put in the morning mail.


I fixed a patriotic breakfast this morning - red, white and blue!
Cottage cheese with fruit and a blueberry bagel with cream cheese.
This gave us the energy to go out in the backyard and tackle some clean up projects.


Sanford and Son have been 'living' in our back yard ever since we married.
Louis Dean keeps everything. He actually uses a good bit in one project or another but there's so much out there that he can't find the things he needs. He buys tools and such but they are buried under piles of junk. There's no way I would take a real photo of the part of the yard they live in.....
Half of our property back there used to be pretty with gardens and the gazebo and two ponds.
All of the pretty part is a mess due to the ditches Louis Dean has dug for the additional French drains and sump pumps he's putting in. The other half seems to have gotten worse - not better lately.


Today he was in a get it done mood and I volunteered to help him.
That steel was a Basket Ball stand from my now 52 year old son. It was there a long time looking good on our driveway. Both Jesse, Jr and then 20 years later, Benjamin, used it. Real steel and real heavy. When Louis Dean and I married, he took it down so he could park his truck.
That was 14 years ago next month. It's been in the back yard ever since.
Until today! At first he said, "I can't do it." It was way too heavy for him to lift alone.
Next thing I know he's got a piece of that sewer PVC pipe down and between the two of us - we rolled that sucker out from the far corner of the backyard all the way to the curb - threading it through the narrow space between the house and two storage buildings. Ge also took the old chairs from the gazebo to the curb. I'd had them going on 30 years. Plus various other things!
Praise God!!!

It was hard work but we did it!
Came in and watched the pilot of The Closer.
Of all the TV shows we have watched - this was our favorite.
I fixed a good sandwich lunch and we rested.


Then he was back out there digging up the planter for his cucumber plants.


He started them from seed while we were at the ranch but they were getting so big we needed to get them in the ground. He prepared the soil and I planted them. Plus I cleaned out the garden storage bin that I had used as a toy box for the quads. That was kind of sad to dump nearly all of it in bags to take to the Goodwill. But it was time. They had outgrown most of it, anyway.
I kept the Legos and Matchbox cars, rubber balls and chalk as well as the Play Dough things.
The Legos were Benjamin's as were the cars and I am saving them for when he has children. 
He's only 30 and still single right now.
That left plenty of room for the chair cushions and pillows.
That was another round of hard work but we wanted it done before the storms move in tonight and tomorrow. I was so tired I came in and took a shower and went to bed for awhile.


But I remembered we haven't eaten supper so I am about to fill our favorite bowls with a heart healthy salad and call it a day. Originally I had planned a steak dinner with loaded baked potatoes.
Perhaps tomorrow......
I'm pretty sure we are going to eat and go to bed.
We are NOT passing GO and NOT collecting $200!





15 comments:

Kathy said...

You did a LOT of work today. I was lazy in comparison. I think I overdid it yesterday and had to catch up on my sleep. So glad you are getting things out of the yard. You will feel much better as it gets cleaned up. At least I do when that happens here. The note from Trystan was so sweet!

Ginny Hartzler said...

You DID pass go to me! Look at all you got dome! It makes me tired just reading about it! I KNOW that makes you feel so good, and you will sleep well tonight. The letter from Trystan is a treasure. Straight from the heart love and innocence. Those cards are so beautiful and handmade that I would never want to send one! I really like your Memorial Day background!

Vee said...

Louis Dean definitely knows a few tricks for getting things accomplished. I wish I had paid better attention to some of John’s. For example, if I had, I could roll out the saplings, that have gotten too much of a head start to simply pull, by using a 2 by 4. ☺️ Anyway, it is no wonder that you folks were tuckered.

Oh, Linda, that note! A treasure of rare value. Trystan really did a beautiful job of putting her thoughts together. There are adults who couldn’t do that.

Hope that today is not so labor intensive. Many blessings!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Thanks fir sharing Trystan’s sweet nite to you, Linda. She really has a kind soul at a young age. Looks like you and Louis Dean got a lot accomplished and it’s amazing how things seem to pile up and remain, like that basketball frame.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Oh my goodness, you have every right to be tired out. I was the same after planting flowers and mowing the grass the week...Luckily I had some leftover soup in the freezer so I heated it up and that is what I had for supper. Hope today is a better day!

Arlene G said...

I finally took my Ben's train to the charity shop the other day. It has been at my house forever and apparently he did not want it for his boys. It is always rather bittersweet getting rid of childhood toys but I had stored it long enough. I had to laugh at your Sanford and Son comment. That was one of my Daddy's favorite shows.

MadSnapper said...

I live with Sanford also... I never take photos of his part of the property. bob keeps everything. when I empty a spray bottle of cleaner, he keeps the emptys, I found it is best for me to walk anything I want in the trash can out there myself. I used to sit all things on the work bench and he did it. we could fill a dumster twice with things out of the garage that are pure trash... I have a broken in 4 pieces bird bath, that is he GOING TO fix and it has been there for 6 years now... I asked him this week when he is fixing to fix it... he said I need a pipe to put in the middle. I gave up. glad you got a start on the clean up. I have to say we are blessed to have our two Sanfords and they are worth the mess in the yards.

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

First off that note is treasure! She did very well communicating her emotions! So sweet!

Good for you in getting some of that ‘junk’ to the curb! We all have stuff that needs to go! Ours is in the horse trailer ready to be taken to the recycling place! Now to find the time to do it!

Hope today is a slower pace.

Changes in the wind said...

Such a sweet note you got and wow all that you both got done, you should indeed feel tired but good. Hope you both have a good nights sleep.

Rain said...

Eat and go to bed sounds good to me lol...Oh Alex is the same, keeps everything "you never know..." is what I hear when I ask him to purge a little!

NanaDiana said...

It is so nice to get rid of some of that 'old stuff' isn't it, Linda? I know you must have felt relieved to at least get the clean up 'started'.
There is always one really 'sweet' child in a group, isn't there? I know that they all have their strengths but sweetness is a good one to have.

Have a wonderful Wednesday-xo Diana

photowannabe said...


I think "being of a certain age" has a lot to do with the Sanford and Son syndrome ..
Hubby is that way. He can certainly fix most things if he can only find the part to do the job...(:0)
I love how you two work together...that's what its all about.
the note from your precious Quad is a real keeper. No wonder you keep reading it.
Such Treasures.
Sue

Cheapchick said...

It does feel good to purge sometimes, glad you guys figured a way to get that metal out of there. We did so much purging over the last 3 months....yet I keep finding things to get rid of that we never use or that are obsolete.

Judy said...

You both always pack a lot into each day! Very sweet...your Trysten. Enjoy that steak dinner 'tomorrow' (tonight, I think)!

Carole said...

Is Sandford & Son the US equivalent of the old British programme Steptoe and Son? cheers