Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Wednesday: Rain, Knee, Boots, Closet and Thoughts......

It was a stormy morning and all the way into the afternoon here in North Texas.
I had to wait for a lull in the action before I could run out to the car and head to my orthopedic doctor appointment. And I use the word 'run' figuratively. Like Provenzo says in The Closer - 'I don't run.'

I took a batch of Lemon Crack Cupcakes to the office - this time not for the doctor but for the office staff. I love all my doctors and that includes Dr. Steven Sanders. He gave me my 'new' right knee about 10 years ago and that changed my life. Still, Dr. Sanders intimidates me a little bit.


They took x-rays and put me in a room. 
I thought of my friend Sandra aka Mad Snapper as I looked around.
No magazines. No reading material. 
So I took a picture.

Turns out my right replaced knee is still doing really well. I thought so since it doesn't hurt!
Dr. Sanders said he's hoping it lasts many more years!
My left knee is not doing so well.
The cartilage on the right side is pretty much gone.
The problem is my Osteoarthritis.
He suggested a series of four Hyalgen injections - to replace the 'jelly' like cushion on that side.
I had my first injection within a few minutes and was back out in the rain heading home.
It felt magical to go in to the doctor with a problem and come out with a possible solution and one that did not require surgery. It's already better and I know this because I came home, did our reading and ate a bite of lunch with Louis Dean and went to bed for yet another one of those long 3 hour naps! I've only been able to sleep in one position for months and today I slept in a different one.
It felt so good!! The rain made for good sleeping weather!


Louis Dean had a show and tell when I finally woke up!


His new mud boots had arrived!
These are great because he can wear them over his shoes!
They.are.huge.
Rain is as much in the forecast down at the ranch as it is here - maybe more so.
We are all prepared to park the truck up at the gate and walk in when we go down there Sunday.

Sweet Lillian had been looking at all the rain coming down and called me to see if my house was wet.
Thankfully, no! Sump pumps are working and there's not even any wet spots in the carpet anywhere.
I am so grateful.


I've been working on my closet and it is a mess.
You can't tell I've made progress but I have.
The hall is lined with bags full of things to take to the Goodwill. 
I'm dropping them off tomorrow.
The bed is clear and I sent Louis Dean to the guest room so he won't trip and stagger over all this during the night because I am leaving it until I start in again tomorrow morning.


I don't know if it's the weather or what but I have been fighting with a headache all evening.
I finally took some Tylenol, rubbed a dollop of Ben Gay on my neck and used the 'wisk' on my head.
After I finish writing here, I am going to bed.

Linda has been on my mind and heart and in my prayers all day long.


This morning I added her name to my prayer list of widows and it brought tears to my eyes.
The list grows and one day it will be my turn.
I'm holding Louis Dean a little bit closer and checking on him when he sleeps.
The death of someone we know causes us to think about things.
While I knew Andy, I am closer to Linda, his wife, and to her circle of life long friends.
They have graciously included me in some of their gatherings and adventures and I have come to love them. Lisa, especially. They all rallied and came together for Linda and her house is full of lots of people comforting and encouraging her. I talked to Summer this evening and family, friends, neighbors and co-workers have streamed in with food and fellowship. I yearn to be there and hug Linda. Soon I hope to see her when we go down to the ranch. Linda lives in Waco and Summer will probably be staying on with her for a few days. Maybe Lisa, too.

I will be 71 years old this year. By this time in my life, I can look back and see patterns, stages and seasons. I'm proud of the growth God has seen me through over the years. I'm humbled at all that God has redeemed for me. I'm grateful for the friends and family I have.
I've been leafing through the pages of my life story in my mind's eye today.
We are all writing a book. Not necessarily with pen and paper but with the words we have spoken, deeds we have done. Decisions we have made. Choices. Our life has been lived before a live audience. Our influence has fallen on a multitude of people. Such is my life and such is yours. And such was Andy's.
It's been good to check Facebook today and see all the photos of Andy. His Life has unfolded before my very eyes.....pictures of him with Linda, his daughter, friends, children, projects, pets. Pictures of him at home and in the yard. Pictures of him out with friends and family. Childhood pictures.
Andy's life is spread right out there and it was a beautiful thing. It was a good life.
Summer told me Andy was a Christian. A believer. He knew he was going to heaven.
That knowledge gives comfort.



Andy and his beloved daughter.





18 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

I am so very sorry about Andy. I had the sets of three Hyalgan shots for many,many years. It was three shots, each one a week apart. They do not work at their best until about a week after the third shot. I also had the cortisone shots.

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

You go right to the centre and share so clearly Linda. Thank you.
Hugs.
Joy

Bluebird49 said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend's passing, yet he is gone to a juch better place. That means everything!
Hope your shot helps your knee!

Vee said...

So glad that you visited the doctor and got relief for your knee. Things are changing fast in the medical community, many new improvements. Reminds me of Doc in the Star Trek series who would talk about medical procedures from times past and describe them as “barbaric.” Anytime surgery can be avoided is a good thing.

I know that widows can frighten gals because that awful thought comes, but don’t entertain it for it can only happen once, but when the thought is entertained, it happens many times over. So try to kick that to the curb, my dear friend. ๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿงก♥️

Love you guys! Oh you are making such progress on your closet. I need to do that work myself.

Susie said...

Linda, So glad LD got some new mud boots. All this rain. It will rain here all day. The farmers have not been able to get to planting yet. Wow such good news at the drs. Thankful no surgery was called for. MY ankle has made me sleep certain ways too. I wish I had the nerve and time to tackle my closets. I can never wear out all that I own. So I need to purge. You know so many wonderful people. Andy sounds like he was a great fellow. So sorry for his loved ones.
Today I am going back to the hospital to spend some days with Ted. He misses me and I miss him. He is my best friend. Ted's brother Mic will take me there. He's been so good to help. I thank you for your prayers. We are happy to have each one. Blessings to you and LD. Hold one another. xoxo,love you, Susie

Estelle's said...

Lovely words...a lovely tribute....wise words too....life is a struggle for some I know right now...it's good to remember things that matter.

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

I'm sorry to hear about this loss of someone you know and who is dear to friends of yours. Glad to hear about his eternal condition!

Our friend successfully used those shots for his knees for years! I think you'll do very well with them. Good for you for sorting out your closet. I have more sorting in my closet and in my storage. It'll be good to get it done!

Chatty Crone said...

A nice tribute to your friend.
I hope those shots work for you. Much better than surgery. I had a knee replaced too.
And can Louis Dean move - walk in those heavy boots?
sandie

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It's great to hear that the knee is feeling better already and no surgery is needed. It's not an easy thing sorting out closets. I've managed to get rid of a lot myself this year. It's always a good thing to have done and over until the next seasonal change comes along. So true, each of our lives are a story we live. I don't what would we do without the support of friends and family when tragedy comes along. All we can do is the best we can with what we have cause we never know when our turn will come. We need to treasure those that share our journey and never forget to say how much we appreciate and love them.

Changes in the wind said...

You and I are the same age:) Glad to hear you can get some relief for your knee and it not be surgery. Cleaning out the closet can truly be freeing. Here I don't have so many clothes that are for just winter or just summer because it never gets that cold here and it is easy to not purge but rewarding when I do. Sorry about your friend.

Arlene G said...

As we get older to do realize the value of friends and knowing that this season of life will bring partings is a burden and a blessing. I know my friends and loved ones in heaven are waiting for me, which is a blessing but the sorrow of parting here is a burden. Prayers for your sweet friend as she navigates this new season of life.

photowannabe said...

What a beautiful quote at the end of your journal today.
We need to cherish each day as the years pile up on us.
I'm older than you...75....this age seems to be a blow to my brain at times.
I hug my Hubby more closely (he's 77) and think about being alone sometimes.
I do have loving family and dear friends but sometimes that empty hole I think about can be overwhelming.
I am so glad that we have the Promise of knowing where we are going though.
Great that you are attacking those clothes and Good will will benefit from them.
Hope your sump pumps continue to do their job and the rain lets up for you soon.
I guess I sound a bit like a Debby Downer today. Sorry...but it's nice to have a place to let it out.

Anonymous said...

Good news about your knee! I’m sorry to hear of your friends passing,

Carole said...

Great news on the knee! I can't believe you are over 70 - I am 64 and nowhere near as active as you! Go girl. cheers

peggy said...

Linda, I just have to say that is a beautiful post. I am watching the Texas news about the flooding, so many are so much worse off even than we were a week ago. It is trash city here, so many basements had to be cleaned out and people are angry that some people are picking over the throw-outs. and still we have rain too.

Again, what a beautiful tribute to Andy. Love ya!

Rain said...

A sad post yet very loving and sweet at the same time. :) Linda, you don't look your age, you are so vibrant and full of zest for life. You're addictive lol...Live every day as though it may be your last!!! :) I agree with that!

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

The loss if a good friend is like losing a family member. This was a loving tribute to Andy and a reminder to treasure our life and the lives of those we hold dear. Every day is a gift. Hooe the knee injections continue to help you, Linda.

Debbie said...

hehehehe, i "jump" into the shower but i assure you there is no jumping!!

it is nice that you bring treats to the doctor and office staff. and as much as they enjoy them, they appreciate the act of kindness more!! i like ld's mud boots, he only got the color wrong, i would like purple!!

death is so difficult, but only for those who are left behind!!!