Sunday, April 7, 2019

Last Day of Critter Duty - for awhile......

We had to do the critter chores in between thunderstorms today!
Rain, thunder and lightning all day long with only brief respites.
And it is raining right now as I write.....and has been for hours.
No way we are getting out tomorrow.


All this rain has made the meadow even more lush and greener than usual.


I love the sounds........
that's Louis Dean tramping towards me at the end.....



Wearing my pretty Coach boots and my knee brace.
Will be visiting my doctor in May to see about that knee. The brace keeps it from wobbling around and really hurting!  This grassy mud is my favorite.


This is like quicksand! It tries to suck my boots right off my feet!
We left the goats penned up. They all have little igloo style shelters and they huddle up in them.


Louis Dean leads us through the muddiest places scoping out the best route.


I linger to take picture with my phone that I carry in a plastic Ziploc bag -just in case I fall in a deep puddle!


I picked a bouquet today.
By next month this place will be wild with flowers!


By the time we got back from the morning chores we were soaking wet!
Hung everything up to dry out before the next round.
(They didn't get dry, though!)

The weather kicked it up a notch this afternoon and was really coming down at times!


This was the perfect candle for today.....from HEB!


This is definitely a scene from the country!
Fresh bouquet of Indian Paintbrushes and through the window you can see where Louis Dean hung his overalls on a nail.  They are there to get an extra rinse from the rain water. He scrubbed them down in a tub by hand. He does some laundry by hand every time we are down here. He likes doing it, too! Works for me! Works for him this time as he did not get here with as many clothes as he thought he did.

It was still raining when it came time to do the evening chores so we donned all our gear and headed out across the pasture to avoid the muddy road.


I had to find different clothes.
That Campbell's Pork 'N Beans apron is one I made when my 52 year old son, Jesse, was 10!
They don't make fabric like they used to! This apron is as sturdy today as it was 42 years ago.
Of course, I haven't used it a lot either so that may be why.

We slipped and slided all over the place and got the chores done.
Just as we got back - the rain turned heavy and has not stopped.

I was watching for Dean and Sherry to get to the gate.
They had stopped at Brookshire's in Groesbeck to pick up milk, bread and coffee creamer for us since we can't get out tomorrow as we planned.


There's their lights!!


They made it to the fork in the road.
That's when they had to decide whether to come on up here  - and chance getting stuck on the mucky road going past us - or turn at the fork and go on down to their place.


They chose bringing us the groceries!


The road there isn't so bad. 
Dean walked up to deliver the goods and then they were on their way.
Blue and Rufus are going to be so glad to see them.


They are off!!!
I'm not sure but I don't think they made it all the way.
I heard the engine gunning and the spinning of tires.


Louis Dean is out in the front room playing music and I'm about to join him.
I made a banana pudding this afternoon and that's going to be our late supper tonight.
See his camo pajamas?
That's the only pair of dry pants he has to wear!

So goodnight from the country - where it is STILL raining.
Just a 10% chance of rain tomorrow and 80 degrees so it will be drying out in no time!




23 comments:

Bluebird49 said...

Sure hope things dry out soon!

Vee said...

We have a foot of snow moving in so I can appreciate the misery that is all that rain. I have been feeling a titch ticked about it all, too. I doubt that you got angry with the rain. Doesn't sound like you at all. I will learn some day that just about everything is beyond my control. ;>

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

Happy and well rained on. Takes one back to somewhat simpler days.
Hugs Linda (and give LD one too).
Joy

Ginny Hartzler said...

You two are such good sports about doing all those chores in the mud and pouring rain!!! You even manage to make it sound like fun! the Indian Paintbrush are beautiful! I had not known what they were. Steer away from that quicksand!

DUTA said...

Nice, red poncho and it fits the cap! I've noticed Lous Dean's outfits are usually nice.

MadSnapper said...

all that rain soaked green is gorgeous in the video.. hope it stops soon. send some our way. we are still in drought. I am waiting to hear what Dean and Sherry have to say and do about the new pups wearing green poop. ha ha. so glad they are home with their pups

Susie said...

I love the green meadow, Linda. You guys need rain suits. LOL. That's a lot of rain. Loved seeing how LD does his wash and wear. LOL. Many times growing, you'd see laundry left on the line during rain. Mom used to get us kids to helping bring hers in and if it was still damp, it was hung over chairs and on a little line she had in the kitchen. Love the cozy spot at the table with your bouquet. Stay safe and dry, Blessings, xoxo, Susie

Hootin Anni said...

It rained heavily here too...but only about an hour.

Love the top view of the indian paint brush blossom!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

The weather changes in a hurry around there...I know! Love that Texas candle and the Indian paintbrush! Have a good week! I'll be in at my desk...painting! heehee!

Changes in the wind said...

What a cute picture of your caped superman leading the way:) Pretty little spot where your candle was.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I'm sure that slipping and sliding in the mud had to have accounted for trouble with your knee. Hope it feels better now with no critter duty to do. Sound like you had the worst time possible to care for the critters. What a welcome relief it must have beens to see Dean and Sherry drive in. Hope you have a sunny Monday!

Anonymous said...

Much rain here in Oregon also and flooding in some areas.
Hope you are enjoying your country time and soon have sunshine
to go along with Louis Dean's music.
Phyllis

photowannabe said...

It seems there is never a dull moment with you and Louis Dean.
Rain and mud...glad you could still take care of the critters.
Glad you have a cozy place to hunker down in the storm.

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

I know that rain is always needed, but sometimes it’s inconvenient! Warm here today, I got sun when I worked in my garden. Last year we had a lot of rain all year, this year we’ve had rain but not nearly like last year!

Louis Dean looks comfy in his camo jammies! Enjoy being stuck a few more days!

Carole said...

Mud larks! But not fun when you run out of dry clothes! Cheers

Wanda said...

You do get every kind of weather at the ranch. Love all the colorful pictures of scenery and you and L.D. I think Banana Pudding would be the perfect late night dinner. Don's mother use to make it from scratch, and it was sooooo good.

Chatty Crone said...

Glad they brought you some food. Banana pudding for dinner - I love it. Love his cameo pants and his curly hair. You guys lead such a wonderful life.

Tanza Erlambang said...

thank you for sharing nice videos

Debbie said...

it is so green and beautiful there...the flowers are so pretty!!!

rain is good, as long as you don't get too much, i like those boots!!! i adore a bouquet of fresh wildflowers!!

FABBY'S LIVING said...


Climate is wet here too dear Linda.
Those boots are adorable. Rain is wonderful for gardens and grass; of course, over raining isn't fun either.
Thank you for asking for my mom. She is progressing quite a lot lately in her cognitive, like walking better using a walker and using her right hand to eat, you see, it is the right side of her leg and arm that were affected with a small paralysis.
I hope you are all fine. Remember we'll pray at our rosary meetings.
Thank you dear friend and have a terrific week.
Fabby

Art and Sand said...

I hope the rain lets up so you can be safer doing your chores. And take care of that knee.

jujupage1 said...

And people complain about the rain in England! It's definitely more heavy there than it is here. xD

Aloha Acres said...

We just moved to the country (not quite as rural as yours) and we are loving it. We are reacquainting ourselves with all the sights and sounds. It's so different from what we are used to , but very familiar to how I grew up.