Wednesday, November 14, 2018

My Tuesday Treasures!

It was a True Treasure Hunt today!
I thought about not going out at all.
There's so much to do in getting the house clean and starting the Christmas decorating.
The one thing that got me moving was knowing I wanted to go see Reaoma.
As much as I love her, every visit is harder than the last.


I decided to go by Texas Thrift and Goodwill - both on Beltline Road - on my way to visit.


I scored best at Goodwill - as usual! It is my favorite store!
This humongous garland was so beautiful! It was draped over the display counter in the center of the store. I didn't see it, though, until I was approaching the check out. After looking it over, I could not find a price tag. Thinking it was probably for display purposes, I went ahead and asked a worker if it was for sale. It took a few minutes to reach the manager but the answer was YES! And at $5.99 less 25% - it was my Top Tuesday Treasure!! When I got it home, I plugged it in and the lights all worked! SCORE!!!


It is beautifully elegant and will grace the living room this Christmas Season and many more to come. If Betsy of Estelle's is reading this - I totally thought of you when I laid eyes on this beauty!


All this ribbon for just $1.50!
The two middle gold ribbons still had the original price on them of $7.99!


Two Christmas Coffee Cups for in the morning!
Already been through the dishwasher and sitting ready on the coffee cart!


This Susan Winget Snowman Platter is a large one and it was just $1.75!
I found one just like it on eBay for $50 right before I typed this!
Good grief!


I grabbed this white cotton duvet cover even though it obviously came from a smoker's home.
I immediately put it in the washing machine with a hefty dose of bleach.
I can use this as bedding or a tablecloth or a chair cover. 
Not bad for $3.75.


I am a sucker for purses!
And yet I can never find one that works for me but that does not keep me from browsing the handbags at all the thrift stores.
Today I found this Brighton purse for just $2!
It is so nice and looks brand new.
I am carrying it tomorrow when I go to the nursing home to see Mother.
I will recycle one of my other purses back to the Goodwill from whence it came.
One comes in - one goes out!
Truly, if something doesn't work for me I am letting it go.
I tried to wear a pair of size 8 Antonio Melani navy blue leather flats to church Sunday.
With my toe surgeries, Skechers are my go to shoes so I put the flats in the Goodwill bag....which is where they came from!
Today I found a pair of size 13 Duck Head brown Italian loafers for $11!
I called Louis Dean and asked him if he was interested. I told him he could wear them to church.
He said he usually wears his cowboy boots or his white Nikes or whatever. 
I put them back and hope someone gives them a good home.


I love all things Chico's!
This top ($1.50) goes perfectly with a Chico's scarf I bought recently - at Goodwill, of course!
I am wearing both of these tomorrow paired with jeans and my brown Skechers. And a heavy Fall sweater! It will be 25 degrees tonight. That's the lowest it's been since last February 25th! I may even wear a coat! We don't do that much in Texas!


My last treasure is this mercury lamp.
It is beautiful and I have been wanting to replace the lamp I had up here.
It was $4.50.

I stopped by Aldi's to pick up some a couple of frozen shrimp cocktail rings - you know the kind that has a container of cocktail sauce in the middle? When Louis Dean worked at Home Depot I would pack his lunch in an insulated bag I bought when I was in Hawaii at Hilo Hattie's. I am taking carrying the shrimp cocktail over to the nursing home in that. Summer will be here at 10:00 in the morning to go with me to visit Mother. The shrimp cocktail will be for Lillian. She doesn't eat the food there and I try to bring her things that have flavor. She, Roberta , Summer and I will party on that and I bought some fancy crackers to go with it. Plus I made Lemon Poppyseed muffins for the staff and my friends.

Back to my visit with Reaoma......
it breaks my heart to see her decline with each and every visit.
She's not eating and has lost so much weight.
She is on a liquids only diet now and even so she has so little strength to suck up the liquid through a straw and can barely swallow once she does. It's part of her brain disease. Slowly but surely, she is losing all her muscle movements. She didn't open her eyes while I was there tonight. Is that her muscles not responding? Her disease is an extremely rare one and I must write down what it is.
Pam tells me and then I forget. I admit, I am at a lost as to what to do for my friend. I sit with her and I pray with her. I try to give her drinks of water or other liquids. I talk to her. Sometimes I just weep as I am on my knees at the side of her chair. It's hard to be there. But it would be harder to NOT be there. I love Reaoma and she loves me. We did not see this coming. We thought I would be driving down to Rainbow's End in Grapeland, Texas and we would be sitting on her porch visiting and going to garage sales and having fun. Then she would come up to Irving and stay with Pam and we would get together and take in a movie and a thrift store or two and go to lunch. I would take her to see Amber and her children. Which, thankfully, happened earlier in her journey with this disease. We had plans. But this is our reality. I do not want to fail her. I pray for her every single day. And for Pam. I can't even image what she she is feeling. And that brings me to my mother......so I guess I do know a little of what Pam is feeling.


This is Mother just two years ago......


And this was just one year ago.

Okay, I must move on and close out tonight's journal entry on a happy note.

I'm cleaning decorating one room at a time.....
The guest room is all ready for my friend Jutta's arrival on December 3rd.
Louis Dean's bathroom is all but done. Just a few more things that are still in the storage tubs.

The hall is done and I am loving it! Best hall Christmas decor I have done!


I have just about finished our bedroom!
I did it all in gold and silver last year and intended to go back to splashes and touches of red this year.
Not! It's gold and silver again but not so much.
I am loving this!
Still have above the bed to do.
Pulling out one tub at a time from the Christmas House.
They do not all go to the same room and I wonder at what in the world I was thinking when I packed it all away last year!

So! It's time for bed. Tomorrow comes early and I am setting my alarm for 8:00.
The coffee is ready to turn on.
That gives me 2 hours to wake up and get ready to leave.
Louis Dean will be Home Alone all day and all night since I will be going straight over to Amber's from Fort Worth and will be spending the night.


And I don't blame him!
I would, too!!




15 comments:

Anonymous said...

You find the best stuff at goodwill!,, that garland is beautiful and I like the look of that purse, I am so bad at collecting purses and bags, it’s a weakness for me lol, I’m so sorry about your friend declining, it’s a nasty disease, stealing her away , so sad, have a good time while you’re away , Louie dean will miss you,

Estelle's said...

Well indeed Linda...you came across a beautiful garland! It's going to be absolutely beautiful in your Christmas home! I am sending up prayers for your family and those who are near and dear to you! I too must start cooking and decorating...the holidays are upon us!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

It is very hard to see our love ones grow old and have health problems. I'm taking a much needed break from volunteering at Hospice. I just had to. We need to take care of ourselves too. LOVE that beautiful purse and all of your lovely decorations!

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

That garland is gorgeous and going to give so much joy in your home this Christmas!

Your love and care for your mother and your dear friends is really being Jesus' hands and feet and sharing his love! Hard for us to do sometimes, but so much blessing.

MadSnapper said...

I love the mercury lamp, my favorite of your finds today... I really like mercury glass.. in just about anything.
when my first husband, father of my sons, was in hospice in a veterans hospital, he was hanging on and hanging on. I visited and said I came to say good bye and to ask you to tell Mama hello from me... it was a 40 minute drive back home, when I got here there was a message he had passed on. I gave him the ok and to me that is what is best. not everyone believes in telling them it is ok to let go. sometimes the very ill hang on for the loved ones not their own suffering selves.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Your treasures found are wonderful. I keep saying I should go but here I sit, right now very busy anyway. You are such a good friend and I'm sure your friend appreciates your visits even though she can not tell you. You will never have regrets for not spending time with those important in your life. Your friends, your mom, your family...all are treasures of another kind.

Bluebird49 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ginny Hartzler said...

You say you don't know what to do for Raeoma, but oh MY!! You are doing so much more than almost anyone would!! Just being there with her and praying, making the trips, telling her stories, feeding her. You are her true lifeline. I know how hard it is! And I would bet you cry most times when you leave, because I have been through this more then once. You have built up so many treasures in Heaven! It is hard, but you are strong!! You have been THERE for her in such a powerful way!!! I love that white sweater you wore two years ago! And the lights and platter. Your bedroom night stand is so lovely! Ahhh, if only I could go to those big Texas thrift stores just ONCE! With you, and then have coffee.

Chatty Crone said...

Linda, you are a great daughter and great friend. You do so much for them just by being there. You know how many people don't have anyone?
You found good things at Goodwill - I do need to go there.
I am sorry about your sick friends - life is hard, but God is good.

Susie said...

Linda, I love the kind of friend you are. Even if Reaoma, doesn't know you are there...you do. One more hug, one more "I love you"...you keep giving. It has to be very sad for you to be losing your friend into her illness. Hugs to you. I like that you buy something and then you donate something. That is how we should all shop. LOL. When I first saw the picture of you and your mom, I thought, wow Pauline is feeling good again. I love the picture you will have to look back on when your mom no longer wants to sit for a photo.
Have fun at Ambers . Enjoy the quads and hug them for me. Don't leave that big boy , LD , home alone too long. LOL. Blessings to you , xoxo, love you, Susie

jujupage1 said...

Love how your going all out for Christmas!

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

Hugs Linda. Your finds - always great, your home is looking wonderful, you care dearly for all you friends with such love. Time with family is such treasured time.
Love
Joy

The Feminine Energy said...

I so love reading about your thrift finds, Linda... and also your beautiful decorating! Awwww... Reaoma! *hugs* Life seldom turns out like we had envisioned or planned but... at the same time we know it turns out perfectly, as it was laid out before time began. Rest well in the knowledge that Reaoma is following her earthly life's journey exactly and as perfectly as she's supposed to. Your path is different but you are making time and effort to walk on her path with her once in awhile. THAT is what a generous friend does and you ARE that generous friend!! Lovingly, Andrea xoxo

Carole said...

I agree with everyone about what a great friend/daughter you are. They are lucky to have you. Take care of yourself too! Cheers

Vee said...

Oh, sweet Linda, you are not failing your dear friend. You are teaching us how to be present with our friends. One day you will know just how precious Reoma found your visits, gifts, and prayers...just being together. This life sure takes us on some rugged journeys, but it will be worth it all one day.

That garland is pretty! I like your philosophy...one in; one out! It helps to keep things under control.

You must be getting so excited for your company. Everything will be ready when she arrives and you will have a wonderful time together. Happy preparing!