Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Our Monday.....

It has been a memorable Labor Day Weekend!


I've spent most of it in Quadville save for September First when I was at home doing all my traditional September First things.  However, I  spent Saturday and Sunday nights over there in QV and all of Sunday and Monday and enjoyed every single minute!
I've been sleeping upstairs in Trystan and Logan's pretty bedroom.
I love waking up in a home where children live. I love to hear their little voices whisper so as not to wake up their MeeMaw. And then I love it when they decide it's been long enough and they want to talk to me!


We have been having some really good games of Crazy Eight this weekend.
It's been wonderful NOT to be on a time schedule and being able to stay up late and sleep in.
In the school year these are rare days to treasure and I do. WE do!


This morning we all got our swim suits on, sprayed the sunscreen, packed up snacks and towels and marched our way through the garage to the Suburban to load up. Alas, as the garage door lifted, it started to drizzle. We pushed on and hoped for the best. I kept saying, "We are going to run out of it!" We didn't. Just as we arrived at the pool and unloaded and was marching up to the entrance - they announced the pool CLOSED! (Amber had called ahead to make sure they were open before we left the house.) We immediately switched to Plan B! 
A warm and cozy Home Day with movies and games.

Once home, we all piled out of the car and - since we were in our swimsuits anyway - and since it was pouring rain at this point - I suggested a Walk in the Rain! We were already prepared to be wet!

Now Amber has never been an outdoor adventurer unless it included a beach and water!
And Kailey is her Mini Me in just about every way so it was no surprise that those two opted to go in and take a warm shower and get into some comfy pajamas.


The other three and I walked along the sidewalk and stepping into the rain streams along the road all the way down to where the green belt starts. That's where the adventure really began!
I had the idea of walking back by way of that green belt since it went right behind Quadville.
It was awesome! We saw birds, lots of swimming pools that we had just seen when we looked at their neighborhood on Google Earth that morning. It was beautiful. And a bit muddy in places.
We hit a dead end at one point and then discovered we could walk closer to the creek and along that green way. The kids collected green acorns, trumpet vine flowers and seeds and a couple of beautifully colored fallen leaves. This was a walk we probably would never have taken had we not headed to the pool and been turned back. I love it when things work out like that!


Granddad arrived shortly afterwards.
The kids had a movie in the playroom and Summer, Amber and I watched Mission Impossible 3 in the living room. Granddad went back and forth and watched a little of both!


Aunt Summer brought a craft project for them and all we had to do was give it to them!
No explanations or instructions needed!
All four went right to the table and started working on it!
AND they did a really good job!
It was embellished butterflies. I forgot to get a pic of them.....


For dinner we had a High Tea.
When our pool plans fell through, Amber asked the kids what they wanted to do and they all requested a tea party! You know that made me happy! I have been having tea parties with these precious quad grand babies since they were one year old!


Alas, the only thing I did NOT have was tea cakes.
The fruit rolls from the bakery in Hillsboro did not do the trick.
Harrison especially loves the Miss Debbie 'Tea Cakes.'
I promised I would never do a tea party without them again!
I am going to buy some tomorrow and pop them in the freezer!


Normal life returned and the quads had an early bedtime.
School starts early.
Much TOO early in my opinion!
7:40 is unreal to me.
But then, I am NOT a morning person!

Thus ends our holiday weekend!
Now we are counting down to our Alaskan cruise and road trip to Portland to visit my friend, Linda. Then we will go on to Rockaway Beach to visit Phyllis and on over and up to Canada to visit Bev and Brian before heading south to home by way of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico and back to Texas!
This is the biggest vacation we will ever have!
Talk about EXCITED!!!
The crunch is on to get everything packed and all our necessary reservations made.


And we are excited to get started on this adventure!!!


17 comments:

Blondie's Journal said...

So much fun! Hubby and I play Crazy Eights a lot!

Those quads are so precious! You and LD keep them very happy! :)

Jane

Kathy said...

You have had such a fun weekend. I would have been walking that green area with you seeing what treasures I could find -- acorns, seeds, flowers, all sound wonderful.

Now you have to get ready for your great adventure. I am looking forward to reading all about it and seeing all your pictures.

Carol said...

I am excited for you to leave on your trip and we can hear all of your adventures! I am glad you got to spend the day with your quads. I am looking forward to the day that my grand doll will sit long enough to do something together. She is very active and never sits still.

Susie said...

Linda, The little picture and quote at the end of your post...omg, that made me think of my mom. She would get mad if any of us went south and didn't drop her off at my brothers. She would say from a map she had...it's right there. I would have to remind her that an inch on some maps can be hundreds of miles. LOL I loved the story of making do , since the pool closed. So sweet of LD to go between rooms to be with all of you. I love the fact that the quads will always think of tea parties and you together. They have the best hearts. I am with Harrison, love those Little Debbies. I hope you can post from the ship when you have time. We will all miss you so much . Blessings to all, love, xoxo, Susie

Vee said...

You have a very exciting September ahead. If your daily life is any example, it will be one fun thing after the next. Blog fodder galore! I notice that some commenters let you in on where they’d be—with you, Logan, Trystan, and Harrison or with Amber and Kailey. Not I! 😉 A rainy day is perfect for a tea party.

MadSnapper said...

you certainly turned lemons into lemonade for your fun day. those trumpet vine flowers are toxic.. and dangerous. hope they threw them away... they can cause a bad rash, the vine and the flowers. I would have been in my pjs after the warm shower. not fond of the rain, but I did like it when I was a child

Arlene G said...

Sounds like y’all made lemonade out of lemons , Linda! It’s always good to find the bright side of days when things don’t go as planned.

Linda said...

Come on, I’m ready for you. Fall is wonderful in the Pacific Northwest. Oddly it’s very dry this year. Our rain seems to have decided to give Texas a try this year.

Changes in the wind said...

Flexibility is the key to life and you know it well. Loved all the pictures and the one of you with the hat is really cute.

Shirley said...

Hi Linda, I keep track of you on facebook but I also enjoy reading your blog. It would be so much fun to walk in the rain with the little ones and playing in the puddles. I can't believe how fast the time has flown and they are in school. It is already the 4th day of September. The time spent with family is precious. Have a great day. Hugs and prayers from your Missouri Friend Shirley

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

What a great Labor Day! We had family over and enjoyed burgers, watermelon, chips and quest, and sweet corn.

Your cruise and road trip sound so fun! Can’t wait to follow along!

Bluebird49 said...

Sounds so great and fun! You know how to throW a party.
Kat and David spent Friday night with us. At 11 and 14, they're more into their phone games, but that was fine. It was great they chose being here with us!I
Now, get ready for a great cruise and visits!

FABBY'S LIVING said...


Hi Linda ! How fun is had with all your cuties and family. The quads have grown so much right in front of our eyes, they look amazing !
I hope all is well with their mom.
I can't wait to see pics and hear all about your adventure my friend.
Enjoy what's left of Summer too.
Fabby

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

Such a lovely time with family before the next school year begins. Thank you Linda for sharing newly made memories.
Hugs.
Joy

Ginny Hartzler said...

You have sure had a fun summer. The time school starts IS unreal! I sure hope you will be posting about your trip along the way! By Miss Debbie, do you mean Little Debbie? Our son works there, and supervises the making of their Honey Buns! The Little Debbie factory is about 10 minutes away, and so is the Hershey factory.

Carole said...

I guess starting school early in the summer is a good idea - but what about winter?? Cheers

Judy said...

Sounds like everyone had a fun weekend! I am excited along with you for your big vacation. Wishing you a fabulous time. We just returned home from two weeks in the Mediterranean. It was great!