Wednesday, February 21, 2018


Day #5 has had its ups and downs.

I was grateful Louis Dean was able to sit up this morning and watch a little news.
He ate some grits and applesauce......less than one cup total but still more than yesterday.
He stayed up a little over half an hour before he had to go back to bed.

Today was a home day. I didn't even bother to get dressed.


This is probably one of the very very few pics of me without make up.
It's been a cold rainy day here in north Texas, and since I didn't have to go anywhere, I stayed in 'costume.' A heavy top, fleece pajama bottoms, socks and house shoes and a warm scarf to keep the chill off my neck. I haven't needed to turn the heat on since we have a window heat unit in the den and Louis Dean said he breathes easier in cooler air.

This afternoon he was able to sit up on the side of the bed and sip some potato soup.
He couldn't do this yesterday.

He has felt miserable all day.
He worries about his heart since his chest hurts.
Guess what he did to take his mind off of his misery?
He asked if he could borrow my Alexa!
He's been talking to her ever since asking for George Owens songs, then Merle Haggard and on and on. He was talking to Alexa so much I kept thinking he was calling ME!
Finally, Summer (with whom I've been texting) suggested a bell.
That worked!

He gets really sick after he takes his medicine.
Lying on the couch in the den gave him a change of scenery and he could listen to the Downton Abbey I was watching.


It hurts me to see him suffer so.
He has complained about his arms hurting so badly he can hardly stand it.
I told him this is what Summer feels like much of the time.
Then I threw caution to the winds and held his hands and massaged his arms.
Then I scrubbed my hands and said a prayer that I don't catch the flu.
I spray a lot of Lysol and I spray everything he touches.

It's nearly 10:30 and the only medicine I haven't given him is the cough syrup.
I can hear him coughing so I will probably give that to him before I shower and go to bed.

Other than hovering around and taking care of Louis Dean, I cleaned out the foyer closet.

I found a treasure trove of Benjamin's Tae Kwon Do things.

I took them out so I could look at them a few days before packing them away.
I think he may want them someday.
I sent him photos of them this evening.

We have an appointment with his primary care doctor tomorrow afternoon.
That's a comfort to me.
The flu is scary and I think we both need some reassurance that he is getting well.
Thank you all for the prayers.......

And tonight I am praying for Reaoma's daughter, Pam, who had a very complicated back surgery this morning and is recovering. She has a rough road ahead of her but she can do it.

And I am praying for a loved friend, also named Linda. Her husband is on hospice. They have been married a long time. I cannot imagine what she is going through as she prepares to say goodbye.


Ginny Hartzler said...

Oh MY!! He just looks miserable! And I have heard that you have bad aches all over with the flu. I am SO glad for that doctor appointment!! Gosh, you look so pretty, even not dressed up!! Maybe ask the doctor about the medicine that makes him sick? Still praying!! For both of you.

Susie said...

Linda, I am glad LD felt well enough to just be in the den with you. That probably made him feel better, being close to you. Hope the drs. give LD and you a good report . I love your prayer saying, I told my daughter her prayers for me were the best gifts. Good thing you stayed inside during that nasty weather. We are back to the colder days here. But there maybe sunshine three days next week. :):) Blessings to you and LD, love you guys, xoxo, Susie

Vee said...

I seem to be following Susie around this morning....hi, Susie!

So good to see pics of Louis Dean today. And I enjoyed seeing you all dressed up in your jammies. Jammie days are good.

Praying for continued, steady healing and for relief from these flu symptoms. It will be good to see the doctor and get an update.

Love and prayers...

Sandra said...

i do that Lysol thing to, for when i am sick or he is sick. poor LD and i pray to that you will not catch that flu. Lysol is my friend. i kept it in my desk drawer at work and drove the others crazy if someone worked sick

Anonymous said...

the love you two share is truly an inspiration,,

Deanna Rabe said...

I'll pray for Louis Dean and you right now. Okay, I'm back. Keep up the fluids as he is able, and one thing to watch for is pneumonia. Glad he'll be seeing his Primary doc.

I love that he is using your Alexa to listen to his music. Have you seen this funny video?

Changes in the wind said...

Continuing to pray for you both. He looks pretty sick but glad to hear you are seeing improvement. This is a rough road for you both.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It's encouraging to see he is doing better and eating more. I know you'll be glad to see the doctor for some reassurance. Will continue to pray for healing . This flu bug is terrible.

Cheapchick said...

Poor LD, I hope he starts feeling better soon. So lousy to be down with the flu, glad you are able to take him to the DR. If nothing else your house will be super clean after all this lol

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

Thank you Linda for letting us know how LD is doing. It is a slow process getting better from flu.

Tina said...

Looks like Louis Dean is making good progress and he's such a good sport to let you take his picture while he's sick so we can all "see" how he's doing! ;) You look so pretty without makeup and you are doing a great job nursing Louis Dean! Hang in there both of you, will keep on praying for you both!

The Feminine Energy said...

Poor Louis Dean!!! :-( Please know I'm praying for him... and for you, Linda. This was me exactly back in January. Nearly the whole month of January! My poor husband, like you, didn't know what to do for me and all I told him was "Hold down the fort while I'm down, honey... that's all you can do!" Dan doesn't cook so... it was food from the dollar menu at McDonald's for nights on end!! We don't have money "coming out the wazoo" so to get "good" take-out food every night for supper wasn't an option. The rest of the time it was fruit, yogurt, and on and on. But I'll tell ya what... that little $1 chicken sandwich from McDonald's really did hit the spot, more times than not. It was a slow process but sure enough I got better. After 3 weeks I was able to shower without having to lay down right afterward. There's light at the end of the tunnel... just hang in there, you two. Lovingly~ Andrea xoxo

Wanda said...

Oh how hard to see the one we love so deeply hurting and in pain. You are such a good nurse, and I'm sure he appreciated having you rub his hands and arms. We will keep him in our prayers and you too dear. You look lovely without makeup..I wouldn't be so brave..haha..

BeachGypsy said...

Just stopping in to see how Louis Dean is doing?