Wednesday, July 17, 2024

Monday Things, Tuesday's Treasures and Wednesday's Moments.....

 A new week and the string of good days continue!


I was passing by Tabitha when she reached out and caught my nightgown in her long grown out nails!
Not her fault but mine since I have neglected to keep them in check.
Louis Dean holds her while I cut them and she always hides her head under his arm.
He says it's her "I'm so ashamed I got caught!"
No shame for her but shame on me!


We begin our days out on the kitchen deck with coffee, prayers, Bible reading, devotions and conversation. We usually water while we're out there.
While this summer has been on the 'mild' side - without a daily drink of water - everything dies!

Monday afternoon we had an appointment with Louis Dean's neurologist.
Amber and Mike picked us up and Amber joined us in the visit with the doctor.
We had a good report - LD is still in the moderate stages of vascular dementia and has remained stable.
I understand this is a progressive disease and he will continue to decline - but it seems it will be a slow and steady journey. I consider this a good report.
The doctor went over all the things I should be doing to keep him comfortable and happy and I am doing above and beyond all she suggested. That's because I know and love Louis Dean and therefore can forsee what works for him. I do appreciate the appointments and her advice and always learn something at each visit.

It made Louis Dean feel good to get to spend some time with Amber and Mike and he was happy to show off his garden work and projects he's been doing.
As a caregiver, family support is so very important and I am blessed that all my children love Louis Dean and have been here for us - as has our dear friends, Billy and Brenda.


Monday night's supper!
Right after I took the pic of those gorgeous steaks - they caught fire and I had to use the water hose to put it out! The steaks were great even with the flames.
I am not a good griller and can't figure out why things flame up like they do.
Also amazed that I had enough propane to grill those steaks since I'd left the valve on after grilling last week.

Tuesday is my favorite day of the week and when I went in to have coffee with LD - he showed me his latest project.


Using things I would have thrown away - he made a stand for his music books.


The stand is on a peg that fits into a hole in a box that he keeps his wallet and such in.
He is a clever man!

Although I recently spent hundreds of dollars on my car's brakes - Sunday it flashed LOW BRAKE FLUID.....
When Mike was here on Monday, he specifically asked me if there was anything he could do.....and I forgot about the brake fluid. Now LD used to be able to do that without a second thought.
But now he can't find the brake fluid and he doesn't remember where it goes.
Billy to the rescue!
He arrived with fluid in hand and filled it up for me in time for me to be able to meet up with Brenda for Tuesday Treasure Hunting!


I found a few treasures.....


Inexpensive aprons and a winter shawl that matches one Brenda has!
I am an apron wearer!
Gardening, housework, art, projects......aprons fit all thes ocassions!
I even wear my really nice ones when I hostess.


I scored with three red Christmas chair covers - along with two chairs from Pier 1 Imports.
The dry erase weekly calendar will be good for Louis Dean. He loves calendars and writing things down.

I love spending time with Brenda and after thrifting we eat lunch at Chick Fil-A and often linger long over our iced tea. I always feel better after our visit!


Happy Hour with Louis Dean late on Tuesday afternoon.


Tabitha is turning into a lapcat - which is really strange since she's never been that before!

Today (Wednesday) was glorious!
I slept in and didn't pour my first cup of coffee and go out to visit with LD on the kitchen deck until 11:30! It was cooler than normal - though still hot enough to sweat through your clothes!
The sun was shielded by clouds and it even rained a few light showers!


Louis Dean is so proud of his new garden patch!



We moved all of our 'struggling' things in here - from rose bushes to pepper and tomato plants.

Louis Dean has been so good about staying hydrated and takes his meds as I give them to him, he is happy and loving life and so am I.
For some time, I have been praying for wisdom, knowledge, and discernment and today I realized that God has given me the tools I need to be a blessing to Louis Dean and I have adjusted my attitude and expectations as I learn more about what he is experiencing.
A slower pace of life with regular routines.
Being sociable but without a large group of people around....other than church in which he felt very comfortable - probably because of the Bells being there.
Clear projects with simple steps.
Physical work without getting overheated and overtired.
Calm evenings with wine on the driveway and a good night's sleep.


Tonight's dinner involved a good bitof leftovers but it was so GOOD!

It's nearly 8:00 as I write today's journal post and Louis Dean is already outside with his glass of chillable red wine (from a box) waiting for me to join him.

In happy memories from one year ago ...

we were at the ranch and drove to the 1925 house Dean and Sherry bought.

I helped her strip original wallpaper off......

A photo from Dean today.....
the house is in its forever place and has been leveled and the connecting building is well underway!
I miss being down there and seeing all the things happening.....
Hopefully we can visit soon even if it's just a long weekend.

I've been praising God for the milder summer we are having!


Three years ago….. I’m so profoundly grateful for every single one of my memories with my sister, Lanita Talley. I can’t remember us ever having a cross word so ALL my memories are such sweet ones…..
After she died on July 6, 2022 -I was devastated as was all of our family. I sought something to do that would give me comfort and that was decorating for fall. In 2023 I started my fall decorating once again as that ‘anniversary’ was so emotionally painful. Once again, in 2024 - I am finding a degree of peace and comfort as I surround myself and fill my home with fall leaves, garlands and pumpkins. I love you, my dear sister! Loved you on earth and I love you in heaven and I know we will love each other when I join you. I still think of and miss you every single day….



12 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

Your last quote is beautiful, and also made me cry. You are so good for Louis Dean, taking care of him so well, and having such a wonderful attitude about it! You are really his angel. His garden is really nice! What is the purchase laying under the leopard skin backpack?

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Linda. It is so hard to lose one who is so very loved. I have no doubt but that you will see your sister again one day, in God's timing. I have so much admiration for you and your love and support for Louis Dean. God bless you both.

Anonymous said...

So good seeing Nita with youall in that picture! I know she's enjoying her heavenly abode as she awaits you and all her other loved ones to join her.
You got some nice treasures when you and Brenda went thrifting. You two are lucky to be friends.😍
All your pictures look so good. I think I might have seen the one of you in the "old" house at Dean and Sherry's!! And of course, I love seeing what you've been cooking😍 everything looks yummy!
I hope everything continues to go nicely for youall!
Love, Trudy

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Those last two quotes are so very very meaningful. Thank you for sharing them with us. I often think of our son Matthew and feel like he is just in the next room waiting for us...we can't see him there yet, but I feel he is very near. I often feel that way about my mother also and find myself talking to her about little things that I see and touch that make me think of her and how she would have loved it too. Yes, grieving takes on different forms throughout the years, but the closer we come to the end of this life here, the closer we get to those who are waiting for us on the other side. That is very good news. I enjoyed your post so much. I listened to your conversation with LD, and it was so sweet. I love his southern voice. I love that you wear aprons. I also love aprons and wear them often especially when cooking for a crowd. I usually forget to take it off at the table, but that's okay too. I would love to see what your kids are doing with that house that they are joining together. How cool is that? Yes, by all means take more pictures next time you are there and can share the progress with us! Sounds like a "fun" project! Have a lovely day my friend. I enjoyed this visit so much.

MadSnapper said...

I am thankful for the good report for LD and I already knew you are super great at caregiving. You were doing the right things before the doctor told you because you are a natural. I love Deans old, new house and can't wait to see what they do with it.. i have a passion for old frame houses like this one..
I believe Nathans is comforting LD and knows she is. the garden is looking super good. and still room for more..hugs and prayers for discernment and strength.

Donna said...

I must say...this post made me cry. I'm so sorry for your loss...
We all have our losses although, they are hard to accept. Deep grief, great love...says it all.
big hug
Donna

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

My heart and thoughts go out to you. Life certainly does have its challenges. I like how you face them head on with faith and positivity.

photowannabe said...

My Dear Linda, you are one in a million and I love how the Lord has answered your prayers for wisdom, patience and a gentle spirit. The Love of your Life is thriving because of you. Routine and a slower pace will actually be good for both of you. I know your creative juices will continue to flow.
Love the little video of the 2 of you.
Sue

Susie said...

Linda, That LD can do some good work. :) Love the new garden area. Glad you have learned about the mind. At music group, a guy called Jr and his wife sing together. She has early signs of dementia. She loses her words while singing...Last week, when that happened, Jr sang right to her and brought her back and she grabbed his hand. I cried, I just could not help it. Their love shows through all this. Love is powerful. I really liked the grief messages at the end. Hey, I still talk to Teddy Bear. One day my kids may lock me up. It takes a day at a time, doesn't it? Love you guys, Blessings, xoxo, Susie

Chatty Crone said...

I am sorry about your sister - I lost my brother and I do think about him too. My mom had vascular dementia - a little different then the regular kind.
Your kitty is so cute sitting on Dean's lap.
I know you take really good care of him. It shows.
Taking it slow and living one day at a time.

Simone said...

I love your wisdom and your heart to take life simply, enjoying and understanding and loving Louis Dean. I am so sorry for your loss of your sister. I lost my mom and then two years later, my dad. Grief comes like waves and then laughter as I recall so many precious memories with them.

Carla said...

I would count that doctor visit as good also. I had to go read to see exactly what vascular dementia was. I pray that the progress remains slow and holds steady for you and LD. I'm sure it can be frustrating even for him at times. You're a great caregiver like my David. I suck at it. Truth hurts and then my patient doesn't like being cared for when ailing either.
I love the picture of Tabitha hiding her face. I'm thinking she's hiding because if she can't see the clippers it won't hurt. Even though it won't hurt either way. Sweet baby.

That clipping made me tear up. I've been thinking of my Mom a lot. It's hard to believe it will be almost a year already.
Hugs to YOU and LD