Monday, July 22, 2024

It's Good to be in the Country!

My plan was to leave around noon on Sunday for the ranch.
I found Samantha and put her right in the carrier but Tabitha had decided to hide and it took me nearly an hour to find her - in the kitchen tucked up between the French door and table and covered up with the puddle of an oversized tablecloth!

We were on our way!
Cooler weather and heavy rain as we drove through Dallas but then the skies cleared up and we drove straight to Mart - by way of the country roads!
We go down Interstate 35 but left it at Milford - a small town that Louis Dean and Ellen taught in long years ago. The country roads are so much prettier than the highways and we actually saved time getting here. We stopped for milk and a few things at Read's Grocery including two racks of pork ribs on sale for $1.59 a pound. Son Dean is going to smoke them for us!



All the rain has made the sunflowers bloom like crazy!
We unloaded and LD mowed the yard while I put things to rights.
I was in a hurry to get down and see the progress at Dean and Sherry's place!


Nice to see the tanks all full and so much luscious greenery.
Some years at this time, the earth is cracked and the ponds are dry.
Last year Sherry drove me through this one on the four-wheeler!


The houses are joined!!


I'm standing in the addition joining the two together!
They have accomplished so much!!!

There's still much to do but it is happening and I hope to help Sherry after work tomorrow.


Notice LD's overalls??
They are one of a kind!
He took a notion to wash them in the bathtub and added a hefty pour of bleach!
Now his relatively new black overalls have a camo look to them!


It's good to be here!


We both slept like babies last night and I couldn't wait to get outside!
Storm clouds were coming up and the temps were only in the 70's.


I picked a large bouquet of flowers and lit a new candle before settling down with my first cup of coffee!

And sure enough - the storm arrived complete with lightning strikes and thunder!


The goats decided to seek protection from the rain under our huge carport!
They huddled between Sherry's truck and ours.
Later LD moved his truck over to the right to give them more room.


They literally jumped when the thunder cracked!!


Love the babies!


They had no trouble making themselves right at home!


Our cats stood at the screen door watching them all morning!




The horses have been known to come stand under the carport - but this time the goats got there first!


Closing tonight's journal entry from the front porch.
We love our campfires here!








13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fun like a party! I'm so glad you are at your happy place!
Love Trudy

Ginny Hartzler said...

There's nothing much cuter than baby goats! I want to see the progress you and Sherry make on the houses! Gorgeous photo of the sunflowers!

Granny Marigold said...

I agree that taking country roads is so much more pleasant than busy highways. It sounds wonderful, being at your ranch, with the goats and the horses.
I wonder if LD will start a new trend with his unusual overalls💗💗💗

Anonymous said...

Looks magical! Dee

Donna said...

Oh well...I think I like LD's new fashionable overalls!
The goats are too cute...
Hope you had fun! Loving the two houses!
hugs
Donna

MadSnapper said...

I now want goats/horses in my carport and sunflowers in my yard. wow.. we already have the thunder/lightning, the drought broke 3 weeks ago and can't seem to stop, last night we had 140 strikes in 15 minutes and 2 inches of rain.. we knew because our rafters were shaking. the weather guy gave the strike details and we had that the night before and he says it will come again tonight. the night before it was 3 miles away and loud, last night was on our ROOF. I was afraid the house would burst into flames.
I am ashamed to tell you this, but I burst out laughing at the new cammo LD is wearing.. try selling on line, this might be the next trending look. enjoy your country time

Changes in the wind said...

This was a great post and wish you all the best............

salemslot9 said...

I don’t remember
if you mentioned
in the beginning
houses would be joined
I wondered why
they were so close
great idea
LD Designer Overalls🇺🇸

photowannabe said...

Your time at the ranch is so wonderful. How fun to watch nature, both plants and critters. Your little piece of paradise.
Love Louis Dean's overalls..pretty nifty.
I would love to sit out by that campfire and just watch the night sky.
Enjoy your time there.
Sue

Anonymous said...

Cooler temperatures are exciting! We’ve cooled down a bit too!

Deanna Rabe

Susie said...

Linda, Hope LD doesn't take to doing all the laundry. LOL Oh my gosh some of those goat horns look wicked, like they could hurt you. I thought I was working in cooler temps at 8:00 this morning but started dripping sweat as I painted the storm door. Seems once I start painting I can't stop. I painted two lawn art pieces with the same flat black . I will finish the big dinner bell in back another time. Stay cool and enjoy all the flowers and your sweetheart. Blessings, love you guys, xoxo, Susie

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Oh goodness, that is so beautiful there...so peaceful and lovely and comforting! I love all the photos. Thank you for sharing your journey with us. I can't wait to see what they are going to do with that house! That looks like a great project. I am glad they are young and able! The sunflowers are amazing, and the goats are so cute. I love the horses too. But your last photo where you are writing by the fire, that is the best of all. Enjoy enjoy enjoy!!!

Anonymous said...

Hope y'all are enjoying yourselves! You have a blessed life, and I am sure you know! Love you, Trudy