Wednesday, July 24, 2024

Our Last Day in the Country!

 It's been a short but sweet visit here at the ranch and I'm grateful for these four days!
It rained a good part of the day Tuesday much like it did on Monday - just not as dramatic with the lightning and thunder.

Louis Dean worked in his shop room - changing things around and then putting them back in the places they were in two changes ago.


Our dinner Tuesday night!


With wine afterwards by the campfire!
It just doesn't get any better than this!

Louis Dean lost his wedding ring a couple of months ago and he took the peat trap out to see if it was in there. It wasn't.


He had done some southern engineering when he put this sink in - and he has since forgot exactly how he did it!
***Note to self***
Take photos BEFORE we take things apart!

This wasn't the plan to work on the sink on this our last day at the ranch - but it happened.
I do have water in the sink as I write tonight's journal entry.
Thanks to Louis Dean's creativity and duct tape!
It's a temporary fix but I'll take it if that means I can wash dishes in the bathroom sink!
Talk about GLAMPING - I am the Queen of it!


Sherry came down to get me in her buggy and we did a run around some of their property.


I love it here. SO peaceful and quiet. No sirens and traffic noises.
Just critter sounds and soft smells of all things 'country.'


This is their catfish tank!
Looking forward to a fish fry next year!
They really know how to do one!
Dean and Sherry's property extends well beyond that tree line!


Sherry has turned into an avid gardener and has some beautiful plants.
Now that her yard is fenced in from the goats and horses - she is putting down some serious 'roots!'


These pics are from Son Dean and show some of the work being done in the 'new' old house!


Tearing down some walls and building others!
This is so exciting!


Here's Mama cat - mama to some of the cats we adopted some years ago.
She's so much smaller than her offspring!
We have yet to see Tarzan this trip, but Mama cat came down this evening and I fed her a good serving of kibble.


I have been writing my memoir for many years.... I think it's going on 9 years since I started this book. It was on the first trip Deanie Wilson and I made as a sibling trip together. She strongly encouraged me to write our story and took me to visit all our old residences and memory places. She and Lonnie Ewing and Lanita Talley were all sources of encouragement to me. I am writing from 1948 to 2019 and I really and truly want to finish this 'journey' by the end of 2025. We've already lost our sister Lanita Talley , and I realize that - at nearly 76 years of age - if I want to DO something - I must do it now. My plan is to publish one chapter a week beginning in January 2025 - starting with my prolouge - on every Monday. 52 weeks in the year and I'm thinking 50 chapters plus the prologue and epilogue. I'm hoping my editor (Amber Bell) can edit as I go. I do intend to publish it as a book commercially but I need an incentive to 'DO this thing' as my Bell grands would say!
I just finished writing chapter 33 so I am well on my way!

"Each of us is a book waiting to be written, and that book, if written, results in a person explained."

Thomas M. Ciriguans




16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Everbody has a storey, every single person has a storey. Thank God! Dee

Anonymous said...

Is it story? Same difference. Love your blog Linda Dee

Ginny Hartzler said...

The new house is looking really good considering how old it is! The reflection in the pond is beautiful!

Anonymous said...

I loved this post! Your country visit has seemed especially magical this month. Your photos and Dean's, too, were really good!

MadSnapper said...

my dad love a catfish fry, there was a restaurant on the Okefenokee river, about hours drive from Savannah and he would drive there just for the catfish. he used to FORCE us to go with him while he fished for catfish, and then he and mother would eat what he caught, my brother and I had hotdogs or pineapple and mayo sandwiches. the ranch/farm/house and critters are all looking wonderful. glad you could glamp those dishes in the sink before you had to leave. love that old house.. yay for country living

Pamela M. Steiner said...

I am afraid I would have a difficult time leaving that place! It is beautiful and I am so happy you have it to escape to whenever you want! I love what the kids are doing with that old house. Thank you for sharing some pictures of the work in progress. I am sure it is going to be amazing when complete. That house will certainly have a "story" to tell! And I love that you are writing your "story" as well. Please do keep up the good work. Setting goals is a good plan. I pray you can keep it going to completion, and yes, please do publish it so we can ALL read it someday!! I look forward to that! You are an inspiration to me. I've wanted to write our story as well, but got greatly discouraged about ever publishing anything so I write our story as much as possible right here in blogland. The nice thing about this is I can actually interact with my readers and get to know them, which makes the story even sweeter! But when your story is written, you will also know all of your readers, because we are all here waiting and cheering you on! Please keep moving forward! God is with you!!

Anonymous said...

I am so looking forward to reading your book, Miss Linda! If you need more motivation, know that many of us are eagerly awaiting your words! Wishing you a safe trip back to your 'city home.'

Maryellen

Brenda said...

Prayers. Can't wait to read your book.

photowannabe said...

Your Life book is going to be a must read!!!
I can't wait to read it.
Love all the things you were able to in just 4 days. Fun seeing the new attachment to Dean's home and the gorgeous scenes of the pond reflections of the clouds.
Safe trip home and I hope Louis Dean's ring will be found.
Sue

salemslot9 said...

Mama cat looks sweet 🐾

Debbie said...

duct tape...when we were younger, our home was held together with it!! it is an extraordinary adventure to write a book about your life, a life well lived with color and love. it's good you have a schedule to stick to, it will give you incentive!! looks like some great days in the country!!

Anonymous said...

Daddy was a talented carpenter/ painter/handyman. But not for his home! We always were the last to get fixed or painted,if we ever did.
I guess we weren't a "paying job"! Oh well. I have a feeling lots of families have that! Anyway I still love my daddy and mama. They loved me --- that was all a child needed.
Love, Trudy

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I'm so proud of you for writing your life story. It will be an inspiration to so many. Enjoy the weekend ahead! Hugs to you both!

Great-Granny Grandma said...

Taking before pictures is a great idea. I do that myself when I have to move things around or need to take something apart, so I remember what it looked like when I go to put things back.

The ranch looks like such a beautiful and peaceful place.

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

I too have started taking pictures before I take things apart. The memory is not as good as it used to be!

Wanda said...

Everyone has a story, and yours is such a Legacy! Stretching over so many years and each story you tell is getting to live your life with you.

So thankful for your Blog Stories too, and all the pictures you share.

Had too smile at LD multicolored overhalls that he washed with clorex. HaHa
He's stying.

I finally got a post done after being gone for 2 months. Wow! Where does the time go.