Saturday, December 23, 2023

Christmas Eve's Eve.....

 It is Christmas Eve's Eve as I write this journal entry tonight.
Only a half dozen hours or so until I will be going to bed and what's done is done and what's undone will not even be noticed.

Last night we went to bed really early - as in 9:00 - went right to sleep....


....only to wake up at midnight!

We each got a glass of wine and I fixed us a cheese and meat tray with crackers, lit a fire log and watched NCIS Season one - episode 20!

We went back to bed when the fire went out and slept like babies until 10:00 this morning!

Today was an easy one - simple housekeeping chores and vacuuming.
I say 'simple' but vacuuming the house is a full body workout!
I love my Rainbow Vacuum cleaner but I am thinking about buying something not as exhausting to use for the day to day routine. I can save the 'big guns' for deep cleaning times.

We had a special visit this afternoon with two brothers - Fernando and Jimmy.


I've know Jimmy since he was 9 nines old and Fernando was 14 and have loved them all these years.
While Jimmy and I have stayed connected - perhaps due to the fact that Summer and he grew up together - I don't even remember when I last saw Fernando.


He was like a hot Fonzy back in the day wearing a super cool black leather jacket!


Jimmy has always been cool , too, and took me for a spin in his new hot rod!!!
This car is over 50 years old and SO MUCH FUN!!!


Summer and I know how to throw a party together in a matter of minutes!


Such a great afternoon reminiscing about our old Crestview Baptist Church days in the bus ministry!
We all talked and exchanged stories and caught up with the last 20 something years since we've all been together! 


Jimmy brought me a bottle of good red wine and a HUGE apple pie!
Fernando brought Blue Bell ice cream and Starbucks coffee!


What a beautiful way to spend this December 23rd!


It was a true bonus blessing to have Summer here and Macon!


How amazing to have watched these two guys grow up!
I have loved them for a very long time!

The timer just rang on the oven and my cornbread is ready to come out.
Gathering the ingredients for dressing and we will be putting the turkey in the oven pretty soon.
I love Deanna Rabe for so many reasons and one of them is her recipe for cooking a turkey that is so tender no carving is required!
The meat falls right off the bones!

Christmas is coming!!!!


14 comments:

Pamela M. Steiner said...

What a wonderful visit you had with your "old friends". That is really precious when people come back to visit after so many years! Also, I love the late night wake up and watch a program and then go back to bed and sleep in! sounds like fun. We keep waking up in the middle of the night, but it never occurred to me to get up and go watch TV instead of tossing and turning. I may have to try that next time. LOL. Your Christmas dinner plans sound wonderful. I am sure you will have a wonderful time. God bless you all and have a very Merry Christmas!

Deb J. in Utah said...

Hi Linda! Sounds like a great visit with family and friends. Yes, you do know how to do Christmas right! I know you will have a wonderful family filled Christmas and that you will make many lovely memories. Merry Christmas to you and Louis Dean. Health and happiness to you both in the new year!

MadSnapper said...

I like seeing your old friends and I can see that all of you were full of joy to spend time together. you are blessed with all these friends because you blessed them with your friendship. Happy Christmas Eve, enjoy your family today and tomorrow and so glad Summer is there with you...>πŸŽ‹>πŸŽ„>πŸŽ‹>πŸŽ„>πŸŽ‹>πŸŽ„>πŸŽ‹>πŸŽ„>πŸŽ‹>πŸŽ„>πŸŽ‹>πŸŽ„>πŸŽ‹>πŸŽ„>πŸŽ‹>πŸŽ„

Susie said...

Linda, That was a nice little gathering. Many good memories of your friends. I am going with family today to one of my son in laws father's. Then we have another celebrations at my daughter Angie's. Another tomorrow. All I have to fix is green beans. Yippee. I can recall when I did every bit of the meal and had a house full. Can't even believe I ever had that much energy. LOL Blessings and Merry Christmas to all of you there . Love, xoxo, Susie

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Happy Christmas Eve to you! It is always wonderful to see old friends and eat with them too! I hope your Christmas Day is a Merry one !

Luann said...

Merry Christmas to Summer and your whole crew. I hope tonight brings many precious memories as your kids and grandchildren come together. And I hope YOU win at NUTS! LOL will take alot to beat those grandchildren for sure. God bless and may 2024 bring you an amazing year.
Luann

Rita said...

How great to have more visitors for Christmastime!
Merry Christmas! :)

Brenda said...

Love this blog. We are simple here…no huge meals…nana is spoiled… remember the days of cooking for days…glad those are in the past…prayers Brenda

BeachGypsy said...

happy merry happy merry Christmas, Linda! That sure looks like a fun fun day! Glad y'all got together. Great picture of y'all too. Christmas Eve here was busy, and nice! Tomorrow is CHRISTMAS, YAY!! Hope you and Louis Dean and family have a very safe and happy day. Full of love and laughter and sweet memories of happy times, yummy food, and some fun presents! Hugs!

Donna said...

Sounds like they are some very special people! How sweet! I owned a 1969 Chevy SS, silver. I LOVED that machine!
Glad you had a wonderful Christmas Eve!
hugs
Donna

Rajani Rehana said...

Beautiful blog

Rajani Rehana said...

Please read my post

Curtains in My Tree said...

Oh How wonderful to still have childhood friends around. Something I would like.
What a cozy evening also.
Gosh I go bed early sometimes and like you said wake up wide awake at midnight, It must be a senior thing?LOL
So happy to read your post again. I hardly read my favorite blogs anymore

Have Happy New Year

Janice in Missouri

Jim and Barb's Adventures said...

What a great day! The favorite thing that I read was you two getting up at midnight and sitting by the fire. Memories like that are special. Love that car of your old friends, what a special visit and ride!