Saturday, December 9, 2023

Changing of the Guards .....

Amber and Mike are having such a great time on their International Getaway.
It was a business trip for Mike - at least for the first few days.


That gave Amber some time to get a bit of pampering and shopping done!


By night they went out for dinner and strolls.


She is so pretty!
Inside and out!


We grandparents are so happy they trusted us with the grands and that they have had a week of being a twosome in Europe again!

Normally, grandparents would say that they are taking care of the kids - and we are - 


but THEY are taking good care of US!
The TV in the living room wasn't working well so Kailey drew this diagram of the remote and then proceeded to drill me on using it!

I watched a few good movies.....


while doing some art!


Monday I will finish this ornament for Amber adding a wreath of bluebonnets and a few sunflowers.


I finished addressing all 240 Christmas cards and they are in the mail!


Wednesday morning's 'Tea Tray.'


Louis Dean has stayed somewhat busy clipping burned out light strands from garlands and washing dishes. The dishwasher had  a leak so he's done all the dishes by hand. I'll tell you a secret - he LOVES washing dishes!

Then sometimes he would just go out and sit in the sun on the front porch.

He made meat sauce for the pasta I cooked earlier and we had dinner all cooked and staying warm in the crockpot while we did the school pickup. We all ate a little early as the girls were playing in the Winter Concert.

Son Jesse drove over to join us for dinner and to drive us all to the concert since it was dark and he knew I can't see to drive at night. S far I am good until about 5:30!



Can you spy two of the girls?
Kailey was in the trombone group at the back of the band.


But here she is!!!
She said, "I knew you would want to take a picture."
She squeezes my heart!


Our last Tea Tray on Thursday morning.

We packed up our things, changed the bedding in the guest room, ran a few loads of laundry and Louis Dean started to load the car when he discovered he hadn't brought his set of car keys....so I gave him mine. A tiny voice told me to be careful - but I ignored it and -sure enough - Louis Dean took out the last load and couldn't find the keys. He kept locking the car between trips (??) and finally decided he must have locked them in the trunk.

Not to worry - just a minor inconvenience!
We drove back to Irving in the Suburban and Louis Dean was going to pick up his set of car keys - except he couldn't find them!

Summer has covered us with her AAA account so we drove BACK to Dallas and I could call someone to come out.
When we drove up to their house, Louis Dean saw his cap on the hood of our car.
Guess what was in his cap???
My car keys!

We finally made it home a couple of hours later than we planned.

Summer was up from Arkansas for a few days and she came bearing a hearty late lunch from Babe's!


Chicken fried steak for Louis Dean!


Fried chicken for Summer and me!


Bless her heart!
She worked on our front door - again!
Always helping and always smiling.

We watched football on Thursday night and then Christmas at the Opry on Friday,


Brenda Lee was my favorite performer!

Summer left early this morning to head back to Arkansas.
I'm still decorating and cleaning!
All I have left now is the guest room and the gazebo.
I have sorted and thrown a lot of stuff away and two sacks to take to Goodwill.

Our spring like weather is turning colder now and we will be down in the 30's tonight.
We will be picking the kids up in the morning for church and changing the guard for the final two days.












14 comments:

salemslot9 said...

That chicken looks tasty
I’m watching back to back episodes
of tv show ‘Alone’
where everyone is hungry 😋

MadSnapper said...

this is a wonderful story, I enjoyed hearing and wathing you baby sitting the babies that are baby sitting the two of you. oh noooooooo on the keys and the simple days of just getting several car keys made at the local hardware store is gone. glad your found them. I think is is super great there are two sets of grands to stay with them. i love Ambers hoody coat. they look like they are having fun and Summer looks like she is really happy to be helping with your home repairs.

Susie said...

Linda, You are blessed with an awesome family. I love that the quads are helping. Great diagram on the remote. Remember to tell LD just how sexy it is when a man does dishes. Blessings to all of you. xoxo,love, Susie

photowannabe said...

First off... Thank You, Thank You so much for the amazing canvas you painted. It arrived yesterday and I just love it to pieces. Such talent and I also love how you share it with all of us.
This blog is so full of joy and I must say you have the best and most beautiful children EVER !
What a busy but fun filled time you had with the Quads. I loved every photo. As you said those moments are priceless memories.
Love
Sue

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Watching the grandchildren is always a treat with me. I love to watch them play ! I'm going to a band concert on Thursday evening for one of mine. He and his cousin both play the trumpet. You and I are blessed having some grands living close by.

Debby said...

I love chicken fried steak! I already have that on the menu for this week. What awesome grandparents you both are! I had to smile over the diagram your granddaughter drew. Clever. I may have to print that out. 😄

Debbie said...

aber is gorgeous and summer too with that big ole' smile!! i am sure amber and mike miss the kids, but boy did they deserve this vacation, you are wonderful to help...you always help out!!

i think the remote drawing is the BEST idea ever, i sure could use one of those!! i spy a special christmas card, thank you soooo much, what a beauty this year!! i laughed at the key story but i know it wasn't funny!! your grands are wonderful, such great kids!!!

Pamela M. Steiner said...

Certainly never a dull moment at your home!! So much excitement going on...remotes, painting, quads, lost keys, band concerts, tea parties in the morning, found keys, addressing 200+ Christmas cards? And I am concerned about my measly few cards compared to yours! Wow!, And then, of course, you actually even created your own cards to boot! Amazing lady! I think it would be fun to be a bug on your wall and watch how you manage to do so much! God bless you dear friend, and Merry Christmas!

Rita said...

Anyone who loves to do dishes is a true blessing--lol!
Those grands are so special. You will miss them when your time is up.
The drawing of the remote--OMGosh! That is what many of us need with alien remotes--ROFL! That was the sweetest thing!
The keys--goodness! Maybe you need yet another set--lol!
You are definitely having happy holidays. :)

Brenda said...

Love this. Love how your readers’ responses post asap…prayers

Carole said...

I don't like driving at night either. Glad you are enjoying the kids. sound you need some more airtags for your keys... Cheers
Carole (formerly from Carole's Chatter)

Connie said...

What a wonderful post, filled with family love. Very colorful, too! Okay, 240 Christmas cards, call me amazed :)

Granny Marigold said...

Great idea Kailey had labeling her drawing of the TV remote. That would be really handy for my DH because he sometimes forgets. Your grands are adorable ❤❤❤❤
Summer sure is handy with those tools!
I hope these last days before Christmas are peaceful and full of joy. Granny M

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Lots of things going on, Linda, between grand sitting and looking for keys. It's great that LD doesn't mind doing dishes, but i really appreciate a dishwasher.

I also finished the last of my Christmas cards this week. I only did about 75, so you have me beat. THANK YOU so much for sending your 2023 Christmas painting. We enjoy receiving them so much.