Sunday, December 17, 2023

A Christmas Kind of Weekend....

 Friday was a Mother/Daughter day for Amber and me and I loved every minute!
Our first thing to do was an appointment with my bank to add my daughter as a co-owner on our account. I tell you this because as we grow older - her dad and I - we need to make arrangements in case of an emergency - in case I am compromised and, since Louis Dean can't deal with medical and financial things we need to have a plan in place.

My friend, Pam - Reaoma's daughter  - has been such a blessing in helping me get 'my affairs in order. She's been in the position of handling the deaths of her mom and brother and encouraged me in how to make things easier on my family when it's needed. 

I'm doing my very best to grow old gracefully and with dignity.....but we must take care of what we can while we are still vital and active in life.


After our meeting at the bank - we had a great lunch at La Madeleine!


Great food and great ambiance - but even more wonderful to have this one on one time with my Amber! We lingered long at the table and talked and talked!
Next up - some shopping and then back to my house where she put up my blog background.
Blogger is not as easy as it used to be.


I finally finished decorating....except for the guest room and the gazebo.....
That will happen this week.
This wreathe is in the foyer - it's been up but I put the lights and ribbons on.


Same with the wreath on the foyer door,


Saturday was a Dinner Party at our house.


All was ready and candles lit!


Here's Billy and Louis Dean!


They were enjoying the ambiance of the fireplace.


Dinner in the dining room....


Main course was a seafood casserole.....


SO good!!!


And a great salad from Brenda!
I made garlic toast with sour dough bread....


Dessert was Canadian chocolates - which were divine - from my dear 'Other' Linda Chapman!


And a fresh baked tray of Fruitcake cookies!

I kept thinking to myself - Take a group pic - and, alas, I still forgot!
Claire joined us along with Billy and Brenda.

Photo from 2015

I have known Claire since she was 9 years old and she and Summer have been friends all these years.

This growing older time of life definitely includes short memories.
While Louis Dean cannot remember in the morning what happened the day before - 
I have my fair share of memory losses. 
That's the purpose of putting plans in place before they are needed.


We attended service at Fellowship Church today in person.
The ushers allowed us to sit on the ground floor even though we arrived late.

It's only a week until Christmas Eve....
It's arriving so fast.....

 



17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Linda!

Brenda said...

Love the picture of you and Your sweet husband. I put both my kids on my account when they became 18… love your blog. Brenda

Deanna Rabe said...

You are very wise to get things in order. You and Louis Dean are a good looking couple!

I’m trying to finish up my shopping, Christmas will be here before we know it!

Anonymous said...

Your memories are beautiful! Thank you for sharing them with us!❤🙏Love, Trudy

Carole said...

Merry Christmas to you and LD xx

Donna said...

Yes, we have to plan and make it easy for our kiddos. Crystal has been on all our accounts for years. If something were to happen to us, we didn't want to add more stress by making it difficult for her to access our accounts. Banks and annuities...IRA's etc.
Love the decorations and Food!
hugs
Donna

MadSnapper said...

Good job preparing for the future. I got a 23 out of 25 on the memory test at my wellness, i have mild dementia, which is age related, and no drugs or other thing can change, it means the memory is getting worse and worse. I can do things just have to think hard how to.
love what you did to your wreathe. Merry Christmas, i did finally put out your Santa on the train canvas and my 4 other Santas with it... had decided nothing but the 18 inch tree, but now have 24 in tree out and the painting and santas. all in the living room. nothing anywhere else

photowannabe said...

Kudos to you for getting your bank and paperwork in order.
We have done the same thing and it has really put my mind at ease. We did all of the bank stuff together as a family so there are no secrets or unknowns. Everyone is on the same page.
Your home is so beautiful and your special dinner cozy and inviting. Yumminess on the dinners too.
Love the photo of you and your gorgeous daughter Amber. What a blessing to have your family close by.
Blessings and Merry Christmas
Sue

Rita said...

You are very smart to tend to things like that for their sake. I set Dagan and Leah up and it is a relief for them and for me. My memory has gotten so much worse--from years of fibro and then the cancer treatments--plus old age--lol!

Your place looks lovely! Merry Christmas! :)

Beside a babbling brook... said...

Power of Attourney is what you need, as soon as possible.

We have a lawyer who is trained in Elder Law. Plus he is a friend of the family. There is _much_ needed to take care of
, while you still can.

I know. My husband has Dementia, and we and our two sons, did all that is wise and necessary, a while ago.

A word to the wise...

Please heed.

Love and Courage,
"A long time blogger who had to leave blogging, since my husband has Dementia and is mostly blind."

Susie said...

Linda, I just told my sister there's nothing great about aging. LOL. Good pictures. Sounds as if dinner was a nice time. Good idea to be prepared. I really need to sit with my daughter and make more plans. Blessings to all of you, xoxo, love, Susie

Beside a babbling brook... said...

Rather, Power of Attourney is what your daughter needs....

Linda Stephens said...

Looks like so much fun. You are one busy woman. Merry Christmas to you and your family.Miss getting one of your beautiful cards.

Love, Linda

Granny Marigold said...

Christmas Peace and Joy to you and Louis Dean 🧡
Granny M

Anonymous said...

We have begun getting our affairs in order as well, beginning with the family farm. There are so many things that can make things easier down the road.

Your place is looking lovely and cozy and welcoming! Great pic of the two of you.

Glad you enjoyed the Canadian chocolates. We have a Purdy’s chocolate shoppe in our town.

Have a wonderful week…as we all countdown to Christmas!

Judy @ My Front Porch

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

Lots of good advice in this post, Linda, and growing older is not always a joy but better than the alternative. Your get togethers always look wonderful with such wonderful friends, good food and happiness all around. We hope that your holidays and are special as you both.

Jackie See said...

Merry Christmas to the Chapman family! I love your beautiful Christmas House, it makes me feel warm and happy inside! Well, we are also making our final arrangements and thinking about reducing our load of work around here. After my back surgery, bending isn't that fun anymore. It is hard to accept but it is also a time to be cherished. Being slower, calmer, with less on my to do list is feeling good to me! Time is so precious. Have a wonderful bright and merry Christmas!