Thursday, November 23, 2017

The Blessings of Family and A Thankful Thanksgiving!

We gather as a family on Thanksgiving every year at Nita and Mike's house in Fort Worth.
Louis Dean and I went over a little early so we could drop off the ham, dinner rolls and fruitcake cookies before picking Mother up at the nursing home.
Nita and I went together as her car is roomier and can hold the wheelchair.
Mother doesn't walk anymore. Somehow, this surprises me. 


Mother was happy to be here.


There were around 30 of us as we joined hands in prayer.


Thanksgiving was buffet style......


The food was delicious and there was so much of it!


I didn't get pics of all the dishes!


I took lots of photos and told Mother I would have some printed for her.
She was happy about that!


We were all glad to see Charlie feeling better after his recent back injury.


It was a fun filled day!


Mother ate it all up!


She had just told me that this was just WONDERFUL!!!


Lots of family gathered.
Larry is Andie's dad.


Deanie's daughter, Trish, and Granddaughter Andie!


My youngest son Ben was here! He had not seen his Grandma in two years!


Beautiful Mother and Daughter!
Nita and Leah.....


Leah and Deanie!


Leah and her handsome husband!


Ben is a favorite with his aunts!


Mother was pointing to his dimples as he talked with Aunt Nita!


After the BIG dinner, all the kids went out in the backyard to play some football!


The rest of us gathered in groups and visited.
This is Deanie and Charlie's oldest granddaughter and her mother.


Two more of Deanie's grandsons......
she has six! Two granddaughters!


This grandson turned 15 today!


Mother was in the thick of everything today.


Yet another grandson up a tree.
I LOVE this picture of him!


Here they all are in one group!


Charlie's son and his wife!

The afternoon seemed to fly by and pretty soon people started to pack up and leave.
Nita and Mike sent everyone home with a bag of leftovers!

When we brought Mother, there were a couple of guys here to help us get her out of the car and into the house. Thankfully, Ben was still here and helped us get Mother loaded up - and it was indeed a matter of 'loading' her in! He put the wheelchair in the back and went with us to the nursing home and helped get her out and back to her room. We left her with a nice plate of food for her supper as well as a plate for Lillian.


Ben was such a blessing and I'm so glad he was there.
Sadly, Summer got sick late last night and couldn't come today.
She was missed by all!
My oldest son, Jesse, is in New Mexico with his family - they go to a cabin there every year.
He sent us greetings and photos - they have had a great day.
Amber and her family went to Mike's parents but sent us messages and greetings.
So it was a day filled with family and we made lots of good memories.

After everyone else was gone, Nita and I went out to the patio to share a glass of wine.


That's one HUGE wine glass!!!
We thought it was a fun photo as both bottles of wine would not even come close to filling it.
Nita's son sent her an elegant bouquet for her recent birthday and it was arranged in this vase.


We took two small wineglasses and opened one bottle and had a glass as we sat on Nita's pretty front porch! A perfect way to end this Thanksgiving Day.


Nita and Mike are such a good team!
They make hosting a house full of people look as easy as pie!
No stress. Relaxed. Calm. 
It is their gift.


I close with this favorite picture of me today.
My niece, Leah, took it as a group of us were chatting in the living room before lunch.
It shows how I feel about this day.
Family and love and blessings............I was relaxed and happy.
It's been a good day for us....while at the same time other members of our family are facing some difficult times and we remember them in prayer today and hold them in our hearts as we pray for strength and wisdom as they deal with some serious situations.

We are home now and about to break out those leftovers while we watch another Hallmark Christmas Movie - A Gift to Remember.

Thank you, Lord, for this day and all your grace and blessings.
Comfort those are are sad and grieving, heal those who are sick and give grace and wisdom and strength to the ones who are needing it this day.
In Jesus' name, amen.


15 comments:

Blondie's Journal said...

Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful family and friend photos, Linda. And you look so, so beautiful, and in the moment in that picture of yourself.

I can feel the love. I can't say more.

Jane xx

Ginny Hartzler said...

What a whole bunch of beautiful people. They are all so joyful. And such good memories for your mom. I'm sorry she is not walking now! I love the picture of you and Nita, and the last picture! You are gorgeous!

Aloha Acres said...

Happy Thanksgiving. I love to see how you spent your day. You look so happy. Simply radiant.

jujupage1 said...

Your posts always make me smile.

Deanna Rabe - Creekside Cottage Blog said...

Amen!
What a great day you had! So happy for family gatherings. We had a great day too!

Susie said...

Linda, I always love seeing your pictures of family time. Everyone looks to be having a fun time. All those wonderful smiles. Your mother looked so happy. I too am kind of surprised she isn't walking. I wonder when she stopped.
Ben has the cutest dimples. Glad he was able to help you with your mother's in and out of the car.
Loved your prayer circle. We had 19 , and as Mark was holding baby Luke I held Luke's hand and Mark held Ted's., to finish off our circle. :) Blessings to all of you, xoxo,love, Susie

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Happy Thanksgiving ! What a wonderful family gathering you had ! So nice you could be outside. We have a family football game, but go out bundled up in winter coats for the most part. I'll join you in that beautiful prayer today...

Thank you, Lord, for this day and all your grace and blessings.
Comfort those are are sad and grieving, heal those who are sick and give grace and wisdom and strength to the ones who are needing it this day. It's a good prayer for every day!

Changes in the wind said...

Yes indeed so much to be thankful for and your prayer was the best.

MadSnapper said...

I have been watching the new Christmas movies and they are even better than the old. still love the old ones to. I am glad they are running them to give me time to watch. I love the pic of you at the end and it does say it all. your family pics are beautiful and will be treasures in the future to help you all look back and remember your wonderful family filled day....

Vee said...

Oh that is a beautiful picture of you, Linda. I am glad that so many were able to gather at Nita’s. Your prayer touched me and I am saying Amen.

Phoebes World said...

Everyone looks so happy and are having an amazing time. You look so pretty.
What a wonderful prayer to end with.. thank you
Happy Thanksgiving
Phoebe xx

Debbie said...

wow...so much happiness and love. looks like an amazing, festive holiday!! i was happy to see your mom!!

Nancy Chan said...

I can see so much joy and love! What a beautiful family! Happy thanksgiving and so much food to celebrate. So much to give thanks for. Your mom looks so happy!

Judy said...

You look relaxed and happy! Such a lovely family and a wonderful Thanksgiving gathering.

Estelle's said...

I loved every minute of your celebration Linda....It's always so heartwarming to see family and smiles...what a blessed day you all had.